Wet or dry food better for weight loss?

PaulineW

Visit site
I have 4 chihuahuas now, and weight gain has become a real issue. Currently I feed them some dry biscuits in the morning, approx 50g in a shared bowl. And the same again at night, if eaten plus they get a quarter tray of butchers grain free each.

I don’t know if they would better on just dry or wet food? I’ve cut down snacks as that is a big source of the problem.

I’m not clued up on calories requirements, etc, so rely on the information on food packets.

Three dogs are between 2 and 4 years, and one is rising 9. All neutered.

Due to February being terribly wet and wild they don’t go out, but the plan is to get back out walking now.

Any advice appreciated.

SOS

Visit site
Dry food can be easier - wet food is Expensive and mainly water but there is a few huge red flags in your post that could make it so much easier for you to help them loose weight.

Measure the food for their ideal weights and feed that, if you want to feed dry and wet this involves still working out the correct amount as per calorific requirement so you know how much to feed. I’d be happy to help you work this out or a lot of pet food sites have calculators. Just PM dogs ideal weights and food they are on.

Ideally you need to feed separately as they will all have slightly different diet requirements, but if that’s not possible it’s not possible.

Neutered dogs also have lower energy requirements meaning sometimes you can feed up to 25% less than recommended

As you reduce their food requirements they will become more hungry so sometimes feeding methods need changing. Scatter feeding is great for slowing down greedy dogs and helping them feel fuller and literally involves chucking dry food across a floor - I love doing it if I’m feeding before going out somewhere as it keeps them busy. Alternatively there are different puzzle feeders and kongs. These also greatly aid a dogs mental health and keeps their brains active!

You could consider changing to diet food, it’s lower calorie and generally you can feed more so they feel fuller and/or the kibble is designed so it swells in the stomach and helps keep them nice and full.

But ultimately exercise is going to help too. They are only little so don’t need miles of walking everyday. Like with us and horses, you can also lose weight doing slow work. Walking up hills would be good for them or if it’s a rainy day then climbing the stairs a few times (providing they are not too high for them and they have no back/hind limb issues).

You say you have cut down treats but what do they involve? Everyone feeds treats and I don’t expect owners to change that but you must either include it as part of the dogs daily calorie requirement or use part
their dry food allowance as a treat.

To start keep a feed diary, and I mean now before you make any changes. You may be surprised how much they have in titbits and treats and free hand pouring each day. Little changes will go a long way… especially in a little dog!

Good luck and if you need any help I’m here.

ETA: excuse the awful grammar my phone was autocorrecting my sentences and I don’t have time to go back and sort it.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I took in an obese dog last year. He was nearly 6kg overweight. I feed wet and dry, good quality food. Everything measured out. Absolutely no treats for the first month. And then the odd one every now and again after that (now and then means not every day).

He was also exercised properly every day, come rain or shine.

10 months on he’s now at his target weight of 10kg.

I also feed 3 times a day.

PaulineW

Visit site
I think the problem has escalated as I’ve been working from home since March 2020. My own weight is an issue as I comfort eat. So exercise is now my planned method of attack, but February up here has been horrible.

The older dog has a leg issue, and due to go for surgery once I can get his weight down to 2 kgs. Just weighed him now, and he is 2.8kgs. Because of his luxating patella issue exercise is difficult , but I guess short walks will help. He is not allowed to do stairs, so we have ramps around the few stairs to our bungalow and garden. The three younger dogs have no mobility issues.

The treats were: small piece of crust each from my morning toast, meat based treat around 11am, plus “licks” after we’ve eaten our evening meal. (I know…) All treats are being reviewed today, and the junk food binned.

So as I’ve just weighed them all today, I’m motivated to get a weight loss plan actioned. My daughter has just offered to take the older one to her house for a few weeks. He loves her so will be happy enough there. She is strict with her chi, and will be very disciplined in exercising him gently and feeding him correctly. So that’s a start, as he needs his operation really.

twiggy2

Visit site
I would start by feeding each dog separately, they may be eating more than they need from a sense of competition.
So measure what you would normally feed them, reduce it by 10% and divide it between 4, remove 3 or 4 bits of kibble per dog and feed the dogs you have in portion each, use the 3 or 4 pieces of kibble to give when you would normally give extras, it can help reduce the guilty feeling when they watch you eat.
The most important thing though is to get the dogs out and walking, I honestly couldn't imagine not walking my dogs, they really need the physical and mental exercise at least twice per day regardless of their size and the weather.
If they don't start to lose some weight after a couple of weeks then speak to your vets about weight clinics.
We used to recommend reducing food by another 10% if needed but you are already starting with reduced calories intake and increased exercise so I would get in person advice before reducing calories further.
What food is it you are feeding?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I wouldn't allow shared dishes, even if that means feeding them in separate rooms/crates to start with. Measure *accurately* the amounts that you are giving, small dogs only need small amounts. After you have measured keep back some of the kibble to give as treats/rewards but don't give human food, as it is difficult to measure/keep track of.And yes, increase exercise when you can. I sympathise with your not being able to walk your dogs over the last weeks, we haven't walked our Labs everyday because it was *too dangerous*.

PaulineW

Visit site
I wouldn't allow shared dishes, even if that means feeding them in separate rooms/crates to start with. Measure *accurately* the amounts that you are giving, small dogs only need small amounts. After you have measured keep back some of the kibble to give as treats/rewards but don't give human food, as it is difficult to measure/keep track of.And yes, increase exercise when you can. I sympathise with your not being able to walk your dogs over the last weeks, we haven't walked our Labs everyday because it was *too dangerous*.

The biscuits are weighed at 50g, which is actually the recommended daily amount for one dog. This is put out in the morning for all four to eat. At around four pm I put the bowl down again with another scoop of biscuits, 100g total per day for four dogs.
In individual bowls they get a quarter tray (shallow one) of butchers grain free at 4pm.
The biscuits tend to be Bakers small dog, but I’ve just ordered some Royal Canin weight control for small dogs. I’ll merge that in to their daily allowance as the other biscuits are nearly finished.

Today has been nice and mild so I managed to walk two of them. All going for a nice walk tomorrow with my OH.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Doesn't Bakers contain sugar? It's very poor quality, imo.

Feed separately, look up how much a grown chi should get/ideal weight then give under that for weight loss.

Exercise is key. Scatter feeding is great mental stimulation (we do it on the lawn so they have to really work for it) and prolongs the feeding.

Get rid of all treats. Harsh, but necessary. You coukd, as a pp mentioned, keep part of their allocation for 'treats'. Or do what CC does, feed only on walks from your pocket.

PaulineW

Visit site
Doesn't Bakers contain sugar? It's very poor quality, imo.

Feed separately, look up how much a grown chi should get/ideal weight then give under that for weight loss.

Exercise is key. Scatter feeding is great mental stimulation (we do it on the lawn so they have to really work for it) and prolongs the feeding.

Get rid of all treats. Harsh, but necessary. You coukd, as a pp mentioned, keep part of their allocation for 'treats'. Or do what CC does, feed only on walks from your pocket.
I do the scatter thing in summer, when they spend a lot more time in the garden. I call it their treasure hunt!

It’s frustrating only having a small Morrison’s and Lidl nearby, as their pet food section is small. I’ve ordered from Amazon today, so that will be the way forward I think for better dog food.