Wet stables

Dottiedoo

New User
Visit site
Can ànyone help please I have a large set of sectional wooden stables that were erected 20 +years ago on a concrete foundation but were not place on a row of bricks eventually rotting bottom up. My Builder supported the roof cut the rot away and placed them on a course of six bricks laying a damp proof membrane over first brick They look really good However now I have very wet rubber matting and damp shavings my empty stable mats are completely wet Can any one tell me why this is and what I can do please

3OldPonies

Visit site
I hate to say it, but the membrane should have gone between the concrete and the first course of bricks. Had a similar problem to your original one year's ago and did the same roof raising and replacement of the bottom of the building. TBH I'm not sure what you can do now that won't cause more problems. Possibly you could try making a 'skirt' of roofing felt inserted under the bottom of the display wood long enough to run water away from the brickwork and off the concrete, but that would only work if the stables are a sort of 'island' so the water runs into the ground. If they are on a larger apron of concrete and the skirt just tips water on that, rather than into soil or a soak away, you'll still get water seeping back under that bottom course of bricks.

Last edited:

Dottiedoo

New User
Visit site
Thank you so much It is so reassuring that someone knows what I am talking about Do you know Is it correct for a builder to put the damp proof on the base before bricking Why do you think he put it on the top of the first course

3OldPonies

Visit site
I'm not sure why the builder would have put it on top of the first course of bricks. Unless maybe the concrete wasn't perfectly level and he thought water would still seep through.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I know someone who successfully lined stable floor with pond liner. Used staple gun to attach to wooden walls. Mats on top, then bed. Seemed to work. Fairly cheap.

lamlyn2012

Visit site
A concrete fillet approx 3-4" high from bottom brick to concrete base, angled away towards base so that water drains away. I would also coat the bricks with a waterproofer in the Spring. I would also take up rubber mats as they will trap in moisture and create mould. Also watch for mould from damp bedding. The walls and floor need to breath otherwise you'll create mould.