wet weather - riding gear

VRIN

Visit site
It looks like the rain is going to be a feature for the foreseeable future. has anyone got recommendations for what to wear (human and horse) to ensure a relatively dry outcome???

Llee94

Visit site
I have a mack in a sac for my horses. It is a full neck ride on rug which is great for hacking in the rain. Keeps my horses and tack dry as a bone. Rider wise I have a set of rambo waterproof over trousers which are great (I didn't buy them though, have a feeling they were an ex-boyfriends mum's that I forgot to give back). I think they are slightly padded or at least lined. Also have a set of ski trousers which I use for when it is freezing and wet. Coat wise I just tend to layer up clothes and then put a thin waterproof on top. Think mine is a berghaus coat that I got cheap from Go Outdoors which hasn't leaked yet (touch wood!).

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Mack in a sack ok for pottering but it's not breathable and I find it ok for shows but not for the sort of hacking I do and even warming up she was sweating under it and the surcingle won't stay on either.

Rambo night rider is excellent ultra hi viz with removable neck. It's 50g and was a bit warm unless chucking it down or cold but used it last two days in horrific conditions and very very please with it.

Thread in TR about Kipwarm jods. I have tried various over trousers and prefer these so far. Rambo over trousers leaky as a seive very quickly.

Wore these jods with my long wax which really you can't beat either when it's really hammering down.

Also very happy with my new Rambo dry rug which does exactly what it says on the tin for when you have no choice but to get wet!

Last edited:

Llee94

Visit site
My mare has never sweated under her mack in a sack but I only hack out for an hour or so at a time and I have never had any problems with the surcingle. However, I can't for the life of me work out what the extra buckle strap next to the tail strap is used for?!

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
I wear none equine branded waterproofs- both my over trousers and coat are Regatta, and keep me totally bone dry and toasty warm, plus cheaper than anything with the word "equestrian" tagged on. Trousers are about 5 years old and still don't leak! Horse has an old premier equine exercise sheet for wet days, and a Rambo Newmarket exercise fleece for cold days.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Oh no! Order placed already!

You'll find it useful I'm sure! I was a bit disappointed when I got it but have used it at three shows already so it's not totally useless to me.

When I got it I was actually going to do a post about the buckle at the tail, I've got no idea what it's for either lol!

MungoMadness

Visit site
I also have a Mac in a sack! Also flummoxed by the extra tail but!

I haven't had issues with my boy sweating in it though. But that, waterproof trousers and coat for me and we are away riding in anything :)

Archiepoo

Visit site
I get my waterproofs from go outdoors theyre under £ 20 and wash and dry lovely .really dry and windproof .I have rambo full leg fleece lined chaps for riding in the cold with a rambo wrap around fleece ove my legs and the back of the horse.i have tesco thermals long johns and thermal long sleeved tee shorts with go outdoors fleece tops and then a fleece lined bobble hat and fleece lined jacket -a pair of heat holder socks to finish off - I do feel the cold a teeny bit lol