Wetting dry dog food before feeding

Greylegs

Visit site
We feed our boy on a dry dog food (Cooper and Co) with a little added chicken or similar to encourage him to eat it. He seems to like it and looks well on it. On a recent visit to the pet store to stock up, I mentioned that I damp it down a bit - not soggy, but not bone dry - and was told be the lady in the store not to do so as it "attracts flies and lessens to food value of the feed".

Am I doing the wrong thing? Anyone else damp down a dry food diet? I should add, that he won't eat it dry!! Thanks everyone.

HeyMich

Visit site
We feed our boy on a dry dog food (Cooper and Co) with a little added chicken or similar to encourage him to eat it. He seems to like it and looks well on it. On a recent visit to the pet store to stock up, I mentioned that I damp it down a bit - not soggy, but not bone dry - and was told be the lady in the store not to do so as it "attracts flies and lessens to food value of the feed".

Am I doing the wrong thing? Anyone else damp down a dry food diet? I should add, that he won't eat it dry!! Thanks everyone.

Err... How can it attract flies if it's eaten straight away?
And lessen the food value?! It gets wet enough as soon as they swallow it...

In answer to your question, yes, we do. Just a splash over the top of the food, and it's gone in less than a minute anyway! I can't really see it doing much harm - our dog is 13 and looks like a 5 yr old - vet says she is in really good shape with good teeth, skin etc. Sounds like the lady in the store has been 'got at' by feed company bulls**t...

Fanatical

Visit site
I always drizzle my dogs dry food with water. Not sure if you're 'meant' to but I was told to when I collected him at 8 weeks old and its kind of stuck.

deb_l222

Visit site
I would think it would get wet quick enough as soon as it hits their tummy! As for flies, hmmmmm anything will attract flies if it hangs around opened, even dried eventually.

I think the pet store person is talking silly and carry on doing what you're doing :)

Greylegs

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I’m going to continue to put a drizzle of water on it before feeding ..... at least he eats it that way. I do use individual pellets of it as training treats - the only way he will eat it dry.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
How ridiculous! Chemist, is she? 🤣

We tend to have ours floating, or did for Brig, so he got enough liquid. If the others ever get dry (they're slowly finishing off a big bag that was Brig's), they also get lots.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
flies wouldnt get a chance to land on my dogs food its gone too quick and nothing is left,its hardly worth washing up the bowls as my collie cross makes sure both bowls are spotless!!!, i always add a little water to dry food.

Chiffy

Visit site
Well that’s pretty conclusive by the answers above. I am another who adds warm water, in fact my food actually says it can be fed wet or dry and the addition of a little water releases the taste.

Mister Ted

Visit site
Its more likely to do good giving much needed moisture.Your dog has to digest dry food and a lot of water is absorbed from the intestine for it to become digestable. I use wet tinned food myself.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
I do wonder if these food manufacturers would prefer it if we fed dry rather than wetting it because the consumer would use more?

eatmyshorts

Visit site
I've wet kibble before feeding for years, gets some hydration into them & make it more appetising i think cos it smells more when warm.

Moobli

Visit site
I sometimes put a bit of warm water on the dry food, but mine seem to prefer it dry and crunchy. There is absolutely no reason not to especially if your dog prefers it wet.

maisie06

Visit site
Talking out of her bum!! it's something I recommend owners to do, especially with older or fussy dogs, and also those that add a powdered supplement to the food, I wonder where she learnt such rubbish?!!

windand rain

Visit site
Feed ours dry as she self feeds she only eats about 6 bits at a time. The most unusual Labrador I have ever met only eats if we are both here and doesnt steal food you can leave a roast dinner at her height for hours and she wouldnt touch it