What’s the BEST detangler?

chaps89

Visit site
The only one I've had success with is leovet 5 star de-tangler.
I've tried most of the others and by the next day I'm back to square one.
The leovet lasts ages and leaves her tail looking just brushed for a few days.
I bought a new bottle 2 months ago as I only had a cm left in current bottle - but it's not run out yet!

southerncomfort

Visit site
I tell you what’s NOT worth the money. Cowboy magic, it’s rubbish. I can’t bear to throw it away but can’t wait til it’s finished. Useless.

See i used to use it to remove burrs from the manes of the ponies i looked after at a stud i worked on and found it really good! To be fair I didn't try it on the tails though.

Chappie

Visit site
A second vote for Showsheen, my fave by far!

Only need to use it once a week on my cobbus's tangly tail, then when brushing later in the week it seems to 'activate' again. Have also tried Leovet, NAF Silky, Canter and baby oil but once I'd discovered Showsheen I much prefer it, smells lovely too, I always have some in my grooming kit now.

P.forpony

Visit site
I steer well clear of baby oil, used it for years but current pony had really nasty burn/blister reaction.
I love cowboy magic but get their coat shine, for somebody reason it detangles far better than their mane and tail

melamory

New User
Visit site
Yet another Cowboy magic user here.
Also moving forward, always use a conditioner when you bathe that will prevent tangles as well. It will save your time and nerves in the future. We too have a frie... a pony who is a pure mess sometimes. That's the only way for me to stay sane.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Somebody resurrected an old thread, but I just wanted to say that when I replied back in June, I had a 'normal' horse. Now I have a cob with a 10X tail, I have a different method.

Because he has Mallenders, I was his legs once a week in T Gel shampoo. Whilst I am there, his tail gets done in head and shoulders. Once washed, it brushes easily. I did still use a spritz of any product, but only once. By the 6th day it is not so good to brush, but then, on the 7th, he is washed again and it all straightens out.

I used to buy big 5l bottles of horse shampoo, with the plunger. Now I have used Head and Shoulders, I won't be buying horse shampoo again, not for the big cob anyway.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Somebody resurrected an old thread, but I just wanted to say that when I replied back in June, I had a 'normal' horse. Now I have a cob with a 10X tail, I have a different method.

Because he has Mallenders, I was his legs once a week in T Gel shampoo. Whilst I am there, his tail gets done in head and shoulders. Once washed, it brushes easily. I did still use a spritz of any product, but only once. By the 6th day it is not so good to brush, but then, on the 7th, he is washed again and it all straightens out.

I used to buy big 5l bottles of horse shampoo, with the plunger. Now I have used Head and Shoulders, I won't be buying horse shampoo again, not for the big cob anyway.

Absolutely this. We used to have a big, heavy traditional with feathers, mane and tail that you could hide small children in. T gel and orginal Head and Shoulders were brilliant for removing scurf and itchiness too. I used to put small amount of baby oil in the final rinse on legs, mane and tail and the brush would just glide through and left his hair silky soft and shiny.

Muddywellies

Visit site
A few people have mentioned Naf, but I find it to be, erm, naff. It just doesn't last so I have to reapply it every other day. Best one for me is Nettex. It stays on for ages.

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
I use Leovet Riders Magic! Bought a bottle years ago so lasts absolutely ages!
Also Supreme mane and tail spray. I've found it much better than canter!