What’s your favourite poultice?

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I’m on nurse duty at the moment as my spotted one has a lovely big abscess in the sole of his hoof. I don’t like to admit that I’m becoming abit of a whizz with wrapping his hoof up now! Anyway, got me thinking. What’s everyone’s favourite type of poultice?

I typically go for the usual animalintex/naf/Robinson’s or equivalent for ease, however I ran out the other day and used a mixture of Epsom salts and iodine on a damp dressing and it worked quite well. Anybody tried and tested anything else that’s worked well for you?

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Whatever poultice cut to sole size needed, breast pad, half a soft bandage, half a sticky bandage (vetwrap alternative) and a silage tape circle to secure. Neat and tidy. I have it all prepared and it whizzes on in seconds.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I’m on nurse duty at the moment as my spotted one has a lovely big abscess in the sole of his hoof. I don’t like to admit that I’m becoming abit of a whizz with wrapping his hoof up now! Anyway, got me thinking. What’s everyone’s favourite type of poultice?

I typically go for the usual animalintex/naf/Robinson’s or equivalent for ease, however I ran out the other day and used a mixture of Epsom salts and iodine on a damp dressing and it worked quite well. Anybody tried and tested anything else that’s worked well for you?
I like Bread poultice. Otherwise animalintex with nappies and duct tape.

visa_bot

Visit site
For feet, as others, I tend to use animalintex but I had to draw pus out of a face once and kaolin poultice worked a treat. I would always use this for anywhere you can’t bandage.

Palindrome

Visit site
Last year, my horse was brewing an abscess, I was out of animalintex but my friend told me to soak the foot in cold water with bleach for 10 minutes. It worked well, the horse blew the abscess that same night.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) bought by the kilo from Boots. Mix to a paste and apply followed by a nappy, silage patch and duct tape.

No need to mention horses just say it is for in the bath, for achey muscles.

slimjim86

Visit site
Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) bought by the kilo from Boots. Mix to a paste and apply followed by a nappy, silage patch and duct tape.

When I was a teenager I got a lecture about eating disorders from a chemist because I was trying to buy too much Epsom salts 😅

Last edited:

4Hoofed

Visit site
My poor other half came to the chemist in boots with me once when I needed eye drops for he nag… I told him to wait by the bubble bath or I was going to have to poke him in the eye. 🫣 he was very startled until explained as far as the pharmacist was concerned he’s the one with the gloopy eye! (The filly in question had took most of her eyelid off and was stitched up but vet advised as always the drops are much cheaper from boots)

Personally my horses foot is big enough for a pull up nappy. 🤪 he had an abscess last year and was dignified enough to allow me to shove his hoof in a bucket of hot water and Epsom salts. Own brand poultice dressing, nappy, haylage wrapped and most of a roll of duct tape. He won’t stay in so mostly it was a case of making it mud tight 😑😑

4Hoofed

Visit site
I should add apart from the last bit the farrier managed to make a drain in his sole he kindly blew it out the coronet band, so I got some clay poultice and whacked iodine and sugar on underneath, clay then dressed as best I could as it was not the easiest to dress. This was after being told to calm down by the vet as I was HORRIFIED. It blew in my hand as I was undressing his hoof, it was awful looking and smelling. But instantly sound after!

canteron

Visit site
Last year, my horse was brewing an abscess, I was out of animalintex but my friend told me to soak the foot in cold water with bleach for 10 minutes. It worked well, the horse blew the abscess that same night.

For abscesses bran at first and then animalintex or similar .
Anything warm and wet works .

My farrier, of 40 years experience, reckons poultices are the best bit of marketing ever. He quoted a study which showed they only make the tiniest bit of difference, it’s actually the soaking in something wet and warm (salt water?) that really helps.

Woof wear medical boots are truly brilliant and imo a much better investment - much less product use, less back breaking and you can turn out in all but the muddiest of weathers (movement encourages the abscess to clear).

Goldie's mum

Visit site

When I was a teenager I got a lecture about eating disorders from a chemist because I was trying to buy too much Epsom salts 😅
Next time just say you're growing tomatoes (and it's cheaper at the garden centre than Boots).

Last edited:

Sealine

Visit site
This reminds me of an old tom cat I had who would fight a lot and get abscesses on his head. I always knew when he was brewing an abscess as my German shepherd dog would keep licking his head until it burst at which point i would deal with the mess and clean it up.

I was taught to tub a hoof abcess in warm, salt water to draw it out.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Woof wear medical boots are truly brilliant and imo a much better investment - much less product use, less back breaking and you can turn out in all but the muddiest of weathers (movement encourages the abscess to clear).

Not tried this boot. I do however use the Vet Strider boot and it’s brilliant for keeping the wrap/tape all in place and doesn’t allow for wear. Can only use it in the stable or on dry fields though