What’s your most important thing for consideration when choosing a yard?

bouncing_ball

Visit site
There’s not ONE key thing. Lots are important.

- Turnout - all year, well draining, large enough space, ragwort free
- friends
- safe
- trustworthy
- decent worming program

nice to have
School
Lights
Stable
Good hacking
People to ride with
Toilet

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
Turnout is my most important, it must have at least daily turnout year round with safe fencing. I have 2 so I'm happy for them to be out together or as part of a larger herd, I wouldn't ever go anywhere were it was only individual turnout.
After that my nice to have list would be that it wasn't a huge yard, prefer a small yard with only 1 or 2 other nice friendly people, on a quiet road, maybe a school if I'm really lucky.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
For me, it's turn out and good hacking. Everything else is negotiable or 'a nice to have'.

But I think it depends a lot on what you do and your individual horse - my yard suits me & my horse but is unlikely to suit an aspiring competitive dressage rider!

Winters100

Visit site
For me it would be

Essential:
Turnout for daylight hours all year round
Clean boxes of adequate size
Reasonable YO

Important:
Indoor and outdoor arenas with lighting
Lunging pen
Overnight turnout for the short periods that this is possible in the climate where I am

Good to have:
Friendly liveries and staff
Nice warm tack room

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
For me the most important/essentials:

Turnout - at least a few hours the majority of days in the winter, whole day/overnight/ in the summer (but the more the better!)

Quality of care - I can’t be there every day, so I need to know he’ll be well looked after and treated kindly when I’m not there

At least one arena with lighting - I have to be able to ride before/after work, and a lot of the time it will be dark

Space to park trailer - I can’t park it at home as only have a single parking space, so has to be at the yard.

There’s lots of other things that are nice to have but not essential (good hacking, indoor arena, friendly liveries etc.) I wouldn’t be half so picky if I could ride during the day and be up there every day!

windand rain

Visit site
Turnout at least 8hrs would be okay with 12 but prefer 24/7 365 days a year as a choice. nice to have good waterproof storage and good ensible company although I don't rate people much its better if there is no issues or bad atmosphere

Boulty

Visit site
Turnout in a herd including at least 8 hrs a day in winter ideally more (& secure fencing with current horse... Basically no tape & no temporary fencing unless they don't care about it being repeatedly destroyed)

This is followed by hacking.

Then things like lights, electric, somewhere to store stuff, mentally stable YO...

Arena would be lovely but having one seems to normally mean compromising on turnout or lots of driving.

Have gone for the happy medium of lots of turnout (on grass that's slightly too good for him really), him being very close to home & an arena available to hire within walking distance.

Fools Motto

Visit site
Turnout
Price
Arena
No main roads (Hacking)
Sane YO - although at first glance everyone is lovely, it's after a month or so I've found things got weird!

Fools Motto

Visit site
Turnout
Price
Arena
No main roads (Hacking)
Sane YO - although at first glance everyone is lovely, it's after a month or so I've found things got weird!

Caol Ila

Visit site
Turnout (with old horse it was tricky, but current two are good with sane, safe herd turnout)
Sane YO
Functional arena
Hacking

teddy_

Visit site
Essential:
  • Year round turnout in secure / safely fenced paddocks with grass and not just a muddy bog in the winter months
  • Qualified staff who understand when to escalate a situation to professionals (i.e. vet) in your absence
  • Rubber matted boxes
  • Well surfaced arena
  • Round pen
  • Safe hacking
  • Warm water wash down facilities

Non-essential but desirable:
  • A set of show jumps
  • Tea and coffee making facilities
  • Heated tack room
  • Flood lighting in the arena
  • CCTV
  • Lorry or trailer parking

LegOn

Visit site
Having had a few false starts with yards, I think I have a clear enough list now of what I can and cant live without!

Turnout - I prefer individual turnout, where he has plenty of company around him & also sympathetic people bringing him in & out

Quality of care - Definitely this, when you arent able to make it down, people who are knowledgeable and kind and actually interested in the care of my horse

Smallish yard/no riding school - a yard that is small enough, one without a riding school or numerous kids around the place/adult only yard as much as possible

Reasonable/Normal YO/Staff - a yard where you can communicate, ask questions without feeling like you are attacking the YO over simple questions, somewhere where I can discuss the care and handling of my horse and also just general flexibility and help when you need it. I have no problem paying for extra services and happy to pay for peoples time, but also want to be able to ask about stuff or for stuff!

Stables and bedding that are maintained correctly - I dont mind having to bring or provide my own rubber mats but the beds have to be clean and well maintained (also no straw! yuck!)

Arena with lights - doesnt have to be huge or perfect but I school alot for competitions so somewhere where I can pop a few fences and practice!

Location - I was in a fabulous yard but it was over 45 mins drive from me and I just couldnt do it, it was also missing the critical 'care' piece so if I wasnt able to make it down, I was really worried and it was too far to 'pop' over. I'm about 25 mins from my current yard which is about my limit.

I didnt think it would be something I would care about but my current YO is very concerned about the atmosphere on the yard so doesnt like bitching or people not being happy and has removed people because of a bad atmosphere they are causing so I really do appreciate this, its a small yard so its really important to have a good atmosphere and everyone respects each other. I really appreciate a YO who sees this an important thing on their yard and deals with it up front. Its something you dont get everywhere so I really appreciate it!

tiga71

Visit site
Turnout in decent sized herd and fields. Then good hacking.

I have recently moved two of mine to join my third at the other end of the yard in a 33 acre field for 24/7 turnout. I have had to compromise on stable size, gone from lovely big stables to smaller 10x11 stables, which I don't really like putting them in. But the whole point of moving them is for them to be out as much as possible. I really just want the stables for somewhere dry to tack up, emergencies and to give them a few hours break if weather is horrible. The compromise is harder for me to cope with than the horses I think. They are perfectly happy out 24/7.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Stable size (I have a very big horse)
Turnout
Quality of care (including options for bedding)
Safe hacking
Number of other liveries
School (indoor for riding after work in winter)
Price

Annagain

Visit site
Turnout (24/7n in summer and at least 8 hrs daily in winter)
Safely fenced / hedged turnout
Well maintained turnout
Enough turnout for the number of horses
Turnout in small, well matched groups
Nice atmosphere (including sane YO)
Half decent hacking

Anything else, I can work around but these would be a bonus

Half decent, floodlit school
Trailer Parking
Decent storage
Smallish yard - about 10 liveries is perfect, I think.
Close to home (although hacking in this area isn't wonderful. It's passable and that's about it)
Toilet

I'm basically describing my current yard.

Caveat - I'm referring to DIY as that's what I do. I would obviously care about decent care if it was full livery.

wiglet

Visit site
Must have:
Turnout everyday (doesn't have to be 24/7 but at least 7-8 hours)
Sandy soil - cannot be doing with mud up to everyone's knees and beyond
Decent, safe fencing
Well proportioned stable that is watertight
Good hacking with no roadwork
Well maintained arena with lights that are fit for purpose (indoor would be nice but not essential)
A knowledgeable YO who cares
Nice fellow liveries
Secure tackroom
Warm tea room
Loo

tristar

Visit site
a well qualified yard owner, who puts the horses first, knows how stressful horses can be and has a calm confidence so you know your horses is in good hands, whether you are there or not, can manage weight and individual turnout if needed.

lets face you really do need somewhere to ride, a large outdoor, so a few can work together if needed, so folk who work can ride in the dark, so all the horses can be ridden cause most people buy with the intention of riding the thing and the horses benefit from work.

ideally a gallop all weather, all weather hacking track around the fields that can double as a turnout for the fatties and interest for the others

a sort of policy of all making the effort to give the horses a good life and help each other to achieve fun in their horsey lives

access to good veterinary facilities for peace of mind, quality of hay, regular feeding times

gateways with hardcore and direct access to a moorland or similar for long hacks

and a contract that states any trouble makers who have an unresolved dispute will be asked to leave, because the yard is for the horses the people come second

jnb

Visit site
Turnout
Turnout
Turnout
Water
A shelter, or ability to put one up.
Hacking nearby
No one else (!)

A school would be nice but I have transport
Everything else I can sort. MudControl Mats, solar lights, mum/friend/freelance if needed.

charlotte0916

Visit site
Necessity

Care - I work full time and have to travel sometimes so need to know that they will be well cared for in my absence. Also a sane YO who has people skills.

Turnout - at least 8 hours per day year round. Ideally 24/7 or at least overnight in summer. In reasonable size well-fenced, weed free paddocks. Individual but surrounded by company or very carefully chosen pairs/threes.

Arena - doesn’t need to be perfect or lit but needs to have a reasonable surface so it’s safe and usable.

Stable - reasonable size 12x12 or larger. Able to put rubber matting down and hay bar/similar.

Ideally

Hacking - decent hacking with a reasonable level of traffic.

Lights in the arena

Secure, dry tack room

Dry indoor storage space for rugs etc

Hot water shower

sportsmansB

Visit site
Safe hacking
Some turnout (happy with all weather area in winter he doesn't like mud / bad weather / more than a few hours out anyway)
Arena of a decent size with a good surface and lights - or at least a lunge pen with lights for winter
Professional approach to management
No lunatics to disturb my precious horse time

Tarragon

Visit site
Where I am!
Unlimited turnout where I can make the decision as to how much the ponies can graze and when
Direct access from fields to stables
no mud
Wonderful and safe hacking
On my own, or if someone else joins me I can vet them first
cross grazed with sheep

The only thing I would like is an arena. I manage without by using small fields if I need an enclosed area or any level part of the bigger fields for schooling.

Reactions: jnb

magicmoments

Visit site
A sane, knowledgeable, and put up with no nonsense YO/YM is the most important, who keeps to what was said when you looked round.
Closely followed very closely by turnout all year round.
Decent surface school
Good hacking
Other things nice to have.