What a day! Went to a comp and had to leave my boy there over night!!!

nikCscott

Visit site
2nd dressage test since starting with new trainer that is going really well and he is really improving so was looking forward to get out and see what score we could get - I was hoping to see an '8' on the sheet.:p

1hr drive to Allens Hill and my time was soon after, but made good time, tacked up and warmed up. He was really settled and going nicely:). Went in and the test which I felt went really nicely, it was Prelim 12 which I knew would be tricky for him as the canters come in quick succession but he coped really well. Got my sheet and he got 2x 8's!!! Score of 66.8% a 2.5% increase from last time and lots of lovely comments and things to work on. I am thrilled with him!:D

Next was eventer training- not sure what happened, but we were both a bit unsettled in what should have been the simpler test of the day and we had a shocker and got 60% with lots of 'hollowing' and 'flexion' comments, we then changed tack and went into the jumping and he was amazing, jumped the best round he has ever done- in a really nice rhythm so much so that 2 fencing into the rustic style fences I could feel he was tiring so I pulled him up and withdrew- very proud Mummy :D

Back to the box slightly pushed for time....... and he wouldn't load. 1.5hrs trying to get him in only resulted in him getting more and more stroppy, ending with a great finale of rearing up and going over- thankfully he was unhurt but I decided enough was enough and asked for a stable for the night.

Meanwhile my daughters' school called to say the the girls were still there, the lady who i'd asked to pick them up if i wasn't back had forgotten! So calling frantically around friends and family no one was answering and I was an hour away in tears worried about my children and cross and disappointed with Z - luckily managed to get hold of someone to collect the girls. And me accepting the Crappy Mum of the Day award!:(

Went back this morning with my friend and her trailer (as worried the box would remind him of the nightmare yesterday) couple of minutes and a gentle push and he was in - 5 minutes absolute tops!:D As alway he traveled a dream and is now home safe and sound.

Huge emotional roller-coaster of a 24hrs but now he's home I can reflect on how good he was competing yesterday. Have made the decision to sell my 3.5t box and buy a 4x4 and trailer and pass my test.

Sorry no photos, but a Crunchie biscuit for all that get this far (they are yummy!):p

majors

Visit site
bless you, talk about rollercoaster, horses always seem to know when you are in a rush dont they. Great you could leave him there and get home yourself. Roll on the next time!:)

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Very well done on the score, and on your managing the tiring, etc. :D

Don't fret re. the children - it's not your fault the silly woman forgot to go and get them! Have a hug though and a calming hot choccy, it's always stressful where our children are concerned :)

Regards the lorry. Does he travel well in usually? We had a loading issue with a couple of ours. Got in our local horseman, Mickey Gavin, and now they're pretty good :D. Dizz might have the odd moment, but given the lack of experience (not been out and about very much recently), I'm very pleased with her :D. Even if she doesn't want to load, I know now what to do to get her on, but without any upset on either side :D

starbar

Visit site
Well done on your dressage result :)
I can totally relate to the loading issue. In summer I went to a fun ride with my boy, it was the first time he had been in a little 3.5 tonne horse box I bought. He loaded fine on the way there, refused point blank to get in on the way back. We had no choice but to get him in but it wasn't pretty and he was very stressed when he got home. I've since sold it and bought a trailer. I think the centre of gravity was too high on it, it was an old ford transit with a luton body on the back, and he felt unsafe.

FaldingwoodLivery

Visit site
been there and done it and it is sooo stressful, we went to an evening sj comp and ended up still there at 12.30pm in the pitch black trying to load on the trailer (she'd walked straight on on the way there)! we tried everything, blindfolds, backing her in, chifneys, sweeping brushes, feed, giving her "time", had the vet on the phone, even tried to get a transport company out to try and load her as we assumed they'd be experienced with uncooperative bl**dy horses! in the end we admitted defeat and left her there, went back the net day with a 3.5ton lorry and she sauntered on like it was a home from home, was fuming! even now we never take her out in a trailer and i hold my breath everytime she loads!

nikCscott

Visit site
Thank you all I am very proud of our results :D

Lady who forgot children looked after them yesterday morning so I could go collect Z with out having to worry about them too - so has fully redeemed herself.

The was a good loader- then I shared a nice Chaigley rear facing and he HATED it and be came bad to load so i bought a transit type as this is what he had in his last home and over the passed 8 months he has been getting his confidence back.

He's fine travelling but has learnt that as I'm usually by myself if he doesn't want to go in he can mess about. For the last 2 months he has been getting so much better. He always loads at home as we practise LOTS so doesn't know if we're going somewhere or not. But coming home is a worry. He has a lovely home and a smashing life (promise) - just likes to party.

I'm toying with the idea of a trailer and 4x4 as the ramp is short and 2 steps and he's in before he knows it, but thats going to involved an extra injection of cash and feel so bad as my very generous non horsey husband already pays for everything so I like to keep a cap on expenses.

I'm going to ring a Monty Roberts associate person for some help as the progress that I have made by myself has been on those lines and with a dually and if we can't get him loading everywhere we'll have to go for the trailer option as no point having a competition horse that I can't compete.

Thank you for your messages- it was the most helpless/hopeless periods

66.8% though - can't wait to see what we get when we get our canter sorted
:D:D:D