What a day! (wet kircubbin report)

Skhosu

Visit site
So got up at the cracj of dawn to go 1.5hrs away for 9.30 test, joys! The boy was tense and silly, spooking which isn't normal, and suffice to say less said about that the better! I t has been raining basically non stop all week, so was worried about the ground (and lack of studs) but seemed ok so took him into the sjing and my god was he jumping. He pinged around the sjing for a lovely clear, really listening (he can be 'forward going' to say the least!)
Walked the xc and not particularly decent for pre-nov but it was our first run and first comp in a few months. Ground was slippy, and I was a bit iffy about going, got him out to warm up and although he jumped grand, still pinging, round corners, even just accelerating he was slipping, so withdrew from the xc, it just wasn't worth it particularly as he is very hot headed xc and I just wasn't happy with the ground conditions, kind of wish I had gone as would have made the rest of the journey home more bearable, took us over 3hrs as our brand new 'westlink' tunnel which has taken years and years of roadworks...is flooded to the top and over so three lanes of traffic-standstill, eventually had to go across verges (muddy huge ones) etc. to get out and on footpaths as the floods were over the bonnets at times. So interesting, just home and knackered!

clairel

Visit site
Oh I probably saw you! (I was doing dressage call up in the morning) I'm sure the ground was very cut up by the time you were due to go XC, I was number 35 and it ok at that stage but I had huge studs in!!
You going to craigantlet if it runs (seems highly unlikely at the mo?!)

only_me

Visit site
good decision! if the ground was anything like ballindenisk, it would have been horrible to ride on, esp after your boys been off

no come to tatts
tongue.gif
its way better
laugh.gif
(and probably not going to run
tongue.gif
)

Skhosu

Visit site
thanks, convincing father was the hard part, now just have to ring farrier and beg him to come and at least give us front stud holes (have wedges at the back so says no studs for those?)
clairel-my father is fairly distinctive, were you at the trailer test jeep thingy? Mine was the horse who managed to spook(twice) on his way into the arena at the arena 4 sign....
I will hopefully by going to craigantlet, no reason why not! yourself?

clairel

Visit site
Yeh I was there until about 10, then had to go and get horse ready. Mind you never really saw any actual dressage as was staying inside the horsebox trying to stay warm and dry.
I'm hopefully going too... did you do the novice there last year? Is the course as huge as everyone says?! I'm already starting to panic!

Skhosu

Visit site
I did the novice last year yup, and it wasnt bad at all, not too beefy or technical, but big enough if you know what I mean,
first couple were logs/log types, then a mahoosive hedge drop (smallish hedge, drop is massive.) then a wall to another wall I think, then a calf hut downhill, and vegetable cart, then a double of skinnies and a ditch (was taken out by time I got to it) in front of a hedge, the water was ok, just a wee log down a drop in, cant remember most of the rest, a decent bank and a huge bullfinch, (need a horse that goes through them!)
But they may have changed it this year. It is a smashing course though I find.

Fiona

Visit site
F was studded up all round, and we didn't even get as far as the SJ, so I'm sure yours was a sensible decision. Nightmare about the journey home though - new tunnel is supposed to be state of the art - bet your father was chuffed to bits.

Fiona

clairel

Visit site
I'm just a little wary as it would only be my 5th novice on this horse and we are still very much getting to know each other (eapecially after falling off at Glenarm, which was the biggest course I'd done to date with Nicky)
It will probably be cancelled anyway and if its on I'll just go and play it by ear, see how he is going.

Skhosu

Visit site
good idea, it's not too bad really, nothing huge size wise save the big drop with the hedge, but depends what your bogey fences etc are. Should see you there!

Skhosu

Visit site
lol, dad had gone on ahead with the horse (I was fence judging!) and got home without an issue..but suggested I take the westlink-slight doghouse!

Fiona

Visit site
We can't decide whether tatts or craigantlet are less likely to run - the first part of tatts XC is v low lying and flat (practically water meadows) though drains v quickly once the rain actually stops. Was under water 2 years ago on the monday before the 3DE started, by the saturday XC it was verging on hard. Craigantlet parking last year was mostly on stubble, and I don't know if the barley has been cut yet. Maybe clairel knows if she lives a bit closer.

OH is verging towards Tatts because of the sportsman champs.

Tatts novice is nice. Two waters, and lots of banks and stuff. Not too many skinnies.

Fiona

Skhosu

Visit site
I'm not sure, craigantlet is quite near belfast isn't it? In which case could be very very wet, depends as well I suppose on what the landowner wants. Fingers crossed for both to run!

Fiona

Visit site
Oops!! Mind you I might have done the same if we were going your direction. We did the Comber, Saintfield, Clough, Castlewellan slog. All twisty - thats why S never gets to go to Kircubbin, she is an abysmal traveller!!!

FIona

Fiona

Visit site
Up in the hills, but quite near Belfast. I would say that the actual course would drain quite well, but if there isn't enough parking then that might be the deciding factor. I know Elaine and the family would run if at all possible - they have been involved in eventing for years.

Fiona

clairel

Visit site
Thats the only reason I was thinking of going to tatts, I'm sure the ground would be better there.
Craigantlet is not far from Belfast... just outside newtownards.
Heard today that if it rains this week craigantlet won't run... so seems likely. We had tons of rain here but not sure about Elaines land, haven't been past recently! Could find out tomorrow but that is getting a bit late for entries then?!
I also heard a rumour today that tullylish has been cancelled already?! Don't know if there is any truth in it?!

Skhosu

Visit site
well the tullylish three phase was cancelled, will be very annoyed if tullylish is cancelled (although understandable!)

CaroG21

Visit site
Im very close to Craigantlet. Unfortunately has been raining like a monsoon all day, and more rain is forecast
frown.gif
. However, I think it would drain quite well, so hopefully the rain won't materialise.

Fiona

Visit site
He is VERY precious about his ground, so wouldn't be at all surprised if Tullylish is cancelled. The parking field was reseeded 2 years ago, so it should be 100% by now, but after the 3 phase being cancelled so early (even though the week leading up to it was lovely and dry) I can well imaging it being canned.

Anyone for indoor SJ - there is a good show at Kernans next weekend!!!

Can you find out if the barley has been cut in the parking field at Craigantlet, as none has been cut near us yet it has been so wet the past week??

Fiona

clairel

Visit site
I could find out tomorrow about Elaine and Hughs...that might be the deciding factor.
Saw you at Kircubbin today Fiona but I was warming up for xc and had my hands full so couldn't say hi!

Fiona

Visit site
Thats OK - you wouldn't have wanted to speak to me today - I was narked with OH, and the dog was tying me in knots with her lead. Also didn't have camera with me at that stage, or could have taken pics.

My FiL was starter (with Lola) so we had walked over to take him his picnic lunch (he says he is retired as starter, but every now and then makes a 'guest' appearance.

See what you can find out tomorrow if you can about Elaines, as if it is cancelled then can see Tatts having to ballot so it would be good to get the entry in as soon as possible.

Fiona