What a horrible Saturday afternoon

Annette4

Visit site
letely out of the blue, no warning signals....I can read even the little ones with her) tia attacked Jack this afternoon. This was with real intent, she would not release him so OH had the literally prise her jaw open and she was ragging him. With Quila, it was always defending herself and she stopped the second we got Quila off her and went back to normal. This was something else. Trip to the emergency vet and he has a puncher wound and a couple of grazes, just got to keep an eye on him tonight.

We are having her pts on Monday. I don't know what we have done wrong but I will not have a dog that can just flip like that at a dog who was lying down ignoring her and if she can do that, there is too much risk she could do it to a person. I will not pass a dog like that on and I will not have a risk like that in my house.

Please no slating, I have just watched my 10yo dog attacked and this is not an easy decision. She is the sweetest, most affectionate dog I have ever owned and she will leave a massive hole in our hearts.

Annette4

Visit site
Spoke to vet when we took Jack in and she said as long as we could keep them separate she would do it Monday to save us the extra £100 emergency callout fee. It's not difficult and I would like a day to spend with her which is a good memory.

Echoncarrie - she's a rotti x American bulldog. The ragging him and refusing to let go is the bulldog, it's how they kill pigs etc when hunting.

Annette4

Visit site
Thinking of you on Monday . Never an easy decision but you have to do what you think is right . You are the only one that can see the full picture . I hope Jack feels better soon . Is Quila happy in her new home ? I often think of her when I read your posts .

She is very happy. Throughly spoilt, a little bit fat and generally loving life. She goes to work with her new dad so gets 4 walks a day, she gets on with the other two dogs in the family (her parents dogs) so gets lots of play dates. She even has her own bedroom! I know we made the right choice there. Zero regrets. She's happier than she was with us.

Baileybones

Visit site
Just wanted to see if you were ok OP?
Rotten position for you to be in but hope everything went as smoothly as you could hope for. Take care x

Annette4

Visit site
Just wanted to see if you were ok OP?
Rotten position for you to be in but hope everything went as smoothly as you could hope for. Take care x

I'm ok, it was not a nice experience but I wasn't expecting it to be, she was a nervous nelly with strangers so she struggled a bit when the vet was clipping her leg which was horrible. It's hard, the house feels empty but it was the right thing.

Baileybones

Visit site
I'm ok, it was not a nice experience but I wasn't expecting it to be, she was a nervous nelly with strangers so she struggled a bit when the vet was clipping her leg which was horrible. It's hard, the house feels empty but it was the right thing.

I once had to take a foster dog to be PTS. He came to me having bitten in 2 previous foster homes but on both occasions it was men and both times the men admitted they handled the situation wrong (lunged to get him off of the sofa and removed a food bowl) so not excusable but the rescue wanted to give him a chance to see if things could be different and I live alone so not exposing other people to my choices etc.

Anyway long story short he bit me twice within a week and with the backing of the rescue I made the call to the vets. My boy had no trigger so one second the sweetest most wonderful dog, then he'd bite and before you knew he'd got you he was cowering on the floor whimpering.

I sobbed all the way to the vets and obviously the dog I took to the vets was the happy charming one. He was muzzled but he was so cheerful people in the waiting room were cooing and trying to make a fuss of him. I almost lost my nerve because he was just such a lovely chap. He licked the vets hands and went wagging his tail which was just the most awful thing.

I really do feel for you. Never again do I want to have to PTS a healthy animal and knowing it was right doesn't make it any easier does it? I know you know this but it's only you hurting now - she is not aware of any of your anguish x