What a long day

Hells Bells

Visit site
Urgh :(

I'm exhausted! My mare, Conker wasn't looking right yesterday afternoon, I called the vet who was lovely and suspected mild colic, so advised us to walk her around but to call back if I wasn't happy.

A couple of hours later, she was clearly exhibiting colic symptoms, so called vet again and they came over.

Rectal examination confirmed she had a (admittedly not awful) impaction, cue paraffin and water, by late evening she was clearly a lot happier, but I ended up bunking up in the spare stable to keep checking her overnight, she has had some very sloppy bran and has been out today to encourage movement as encouraged by the vet. She has passed droppings and seems much happier in herself.

I just feel so tired and useless. I feel terrible and I should've called the vet out sooner, and I'm terrified that she is going to colic again :(

I'm at a loss as to what caused it, she's not changed routine or diet, and I can't think of anything that has stressed her out. And water intake has never been an issue.

I just don't want it to come back :( I have googled (stupidly) the likelihood of reoccurrence and the reasons for impaction, and have scared myself a bit. What are other people's experiences? Just worried it could be a sign of something more sinister.

Sorry for the long, self pitying thread. I know it could've been so much worse, and I'm sure many of you have been through things far worse than this, but it's just scared me a bit :(

Bexx

Visit site
Don't beat yourself up, you called the vet much sooner than a lot of people out there would have :) If your mare is perking up and is eating, drinking and pooing then I'm sure she will be fine. Try and stay away from google as you'll always come across worst case scenarios and will make you worry more. My old pony had the same as your mare and was back to his normal cheeky self in 24 hours and had no other problems in the 3 years I had him. Just keep a close eye on her and monitor her intake of food and water and her poos. Try and relax and stay positive. And remember, your vet is always on the other end of the phone :)

glenruby

Visit site
Its probably just due to the change in weather and while you say she has never had an issue with drinking enough - maybe she hasnt quite been drinking enough for the weather. Is she out 24/7 or in havnig hay too?

indie999

Visit site
Sounds like you got the vet out in time. Particularly as they could do something manual there and then. I have notice the horses overnight drink their whole huge container as it was only a few inches full this morning. Yesterday it hardly moved. Sudden hot weather etc after all that rain. Just keep an eye on her but when it goes wrong its always unexpectedly. But I hope you caught it in nick of time. Does she seem alright now? As has been said the vet is at other end of phone.

Hells Bells

Visit site
Thanks Bexx, I know I should avoid google- it brings out the hypochondriac in me! I've always been so lucky with my horses so I really do panic when something does go wrong!

Glenruby, she is usually out 24/7 all year round although I do bring in when weather is truly awful. I hope that maybe as you say the sudden weather change has caused her to drink less.

Indie- yes she does seem much much better in herself, but I think I'm looking so much harder for signs than usual, which is probably making me worry that much more!

Thanks for your replies :)

ladyt25

Visit site
Probably just one of those things. Our donkey got colic twice within the space of a year or two if I recall. No idea why but he didn't have it again and we had him 14 years. We did suspect that some well-meaning people from the nearby houses had maybe been a bit too generous with feeding him apples (they loved to bring the kids to see the donkey) so we had a quiet word along the lines of two many apples can make him poorly. They were much more careful from the on and didn't bring treats. No proof this was the cause though.

wyrdsister

Visit site
Oh you poor thing - but at least Conker is now feeling better! It sounds like you did the right thing too, so stop beating yourself up! I'd steer clear of Google too, if you're going to assume worst case scenarios ;) Useful to have the info, doesn't mean it's going to happen!

Orange mare colicked last year, no idea why, completely out of the blue. Cue lots of walking, a vet visit, and long day sat in her stable monitoring her. I still don't know why it happened (two of ours did it in the same field within a week of each other, we moved them a bit sharpish, but never found out what it was and it hasn't happened in that field since). It didn't recurr. With any luck, it's just one of those random things that happen.

Jontydoggle

Visit site
First lesson about colic - sometimes it just happens.

Sounds like your horse is doing well, you noticed all the signs quickly, reacted well, and you have a happy horse as a result. Eat, sleep and continue with a new day. :)

Hells Bells

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies. Conked is fine today, pooing to her hearts content :D

I've always been so lucky and never had the worry of colic before, sorry for the worrying :)

Nicnac

Visit site
Don't understand why you are beating yourself up? You called vet immediately and again when Conker wasn't improving.

Glad to hear your horse is doing so much better. :)

My horse started colic symptoms last year when I had to put him in livery after losing my other horse. He'd been out all day in a paddock with no shade I discovered and had mild sunstroke :rolleyes:

Fjord

Visit site
Horse bring out the worrier in us!

You did the right thing, glad she is better today. :)