What a rear!!!

PonyIAmNotFood

Visit site
Wow, great handling there. Would not catch me any where near something that did that. On the whole no hat thing, he's a grown man and certainly looks old enough to make his own decisions on the matter. He's also not advocating copying him so chill out.

foxy1

Visit site
I knew which vid it was going to be before I opened the thread. I found this a few days ago and googled the guy. He is a trainer, has a site which I bookmarked to read when I have more time. His method seems to be based on biomechanics - so difficult to get head around. Here's the link http://www.scienceofmotion.com/documents/thorse_training_philosophy.html

Thanks for drawing attention to that, I have bookmarked it to read later too, but looks very interesting

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
My girls temper tantrum is a vertical rear, even on roads. Ive managed to train her out od t but she still has the odd relapse but now I know the signs well enough to stop her before it starts.

Thi rearing is shocking and it must have been some amount of pain that horse was in for it to react to just a contact in a headcollar that way.

Regardless of hat or not that guy has som guts and a great seat.

Vindaloo

Visit site
Did anyone else misinterpret the title and come here expecting an impressive horse or human bottom?

No?

Just me then....

Ha ha, brilliant! When I typed the heading I had a quiet chuckle to myself wondering if anyone would think this was a thread about bums. Good to know i'm not the only one with an odd sense of humour.

Vindaloo

Visit site
Ouch, I hope you are not in too much pain from that LM. Not nice when they come over on you is it.

I watched a few more of his clips and I am absolutely in awe of this man. That horse clearly had an abundance of energy and generally looked fit to burst but happily contained it by simply bouncing along next to him in what appears to be perfect harmony.

A pleasure to see and truly inspirational.

fburton

Visit site
A foolhardy genius?

ETA: I shouldn't gripe about him not wearing a hat while on the ground because I never do (unless an owner insists), even with horses that rear. Riding seems different - more dangerous - to me, but then I am nowhere near as capable as this guy or even most people here, so I wouldn't dream of not wearing a hat while in the saddle.

Last edited:

Vindaloo

Visit site
The funny thing is, I posted this without a mention about hats and then edited to add about it thinking that I would be lambasted for promoting a hatless clip!!!

Sign of the times. In any case, this wasn't and isn't a post regarding hats at all. Simply a case of seeing a clip of horsemanship at it's best in my humble opinion. I care not about the man, just that the horse appears to benefit greatly from his association.

babymare

Visit site
i like his words "a horseman should not show fear or anger" ok no hat agree but what an impressive guy - never heard of him before but guess who will be researching him now - amazing and stunning beautiful horse to :)

honey-bees

Visit site
Have watched that horse before on Youtube rearing etc and in the notes said some thing along the lines of discovered his rearing was due to back complaint... Am searching through and trying to find link.

babymare

Visit site
hear hear dougalsmum for once over look the hat thing and watch a man with no whip in his hand no "egg " to smash over orses head just what appears to be calm quiet work - a man who kept his cool - looking forward to reading up on this guy mmmmmmmmm and thank you dougalsmum for sharing impressive :)

Vindaloo

Visit site
Have watched that horse before on Youtube rearing etc and in the notes said some thing along the lines of discovered his rearing was due to back complaint... Am searching through and trying to find link.

I've watched a few today and saw he had three abscesses (god knows if I've spelt that right) and had pain issues so presumably they dealt with the pain prior to the training programme.

His first turn out and jumping lessons are a treat. Listening to the trainer is a delight. He agrees that at times the horse makes mistakes but that this is ok, no stress, they just try again. At no point does the horse look at all frightened or worried but is allowed to make his own mind up about how to do things.

trina1982

Visit site
Came across this guy a while back. His website has a section written by Chazot himself -clever horse hey!

Jean Luc has a really good sense of humour too, and the website is a pleasure to read (if a little complex in parts). There is a facebook page to 'like'.

Trina x

idx

Visit site
On the ground he sticks to that huge horse's shoulder like a flea. Must be the safest place to stand. And keeps the horse's head turned - presumably making it harder for him to rear or kick.

I found the handling on the ground the most interesting bit. He seems to keep his hand up at the horses wither - thereby turning horses head toward him? He made it look very easy and calm. Does anyone use this as a technique?

MadBlackLab

Visit site
Well.....................................where do I start. That horse when kicking is aiming towards handler. That handler should be wearing a hat.

I think we can all safely say with behaviour like this it wouldn't be wise to ride it at all. Let alone without a hat:eek:

Beatrice5

Visit site
Wow how he managed to stay on is beyond me. I did think him calm and quiet and obviously very experienced and talented but noticed a stick in his other hand when he was leading and wondered why he had it? Anyone know?

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Sorry any person that can deal with an animal like that with such obvious love, compassion, understanding and feel has to be from out of this world - wonder where his wings are ?

Cadfael&Coffee

Visit site
Wow how he managed to stay on is beyond me. I did think him calm and quiet and obviously very experienced and talented but noticed a stick in his other hand when he was leading and wondered why he had it? Anyone know?

^^ i've not read his website, but i would expect that it is a. to prevent the horse from biting him and b. to use to point into the shoulder if the horse decided to flatten him- both safety