What a sad day.

rascal

Visit site
I was working this morning and hubby phoned, "come back quick one of the horses is dead in the field" the field owner (whos also very upset) called him to say Red my eldest daughters horse was dead. He was 6 yrs old.
We did think about him being shot, alot of people shoot around there (including in that field) but there wasnt a mark on him, and he hadnt struggled. We saw him about 9pm last night when we fed them, he was having a run round with the others.
My daughter was planning a few shows with him next year, he was a lovely horse. His show name was Evolution.
This is the second one this year, when they are nearly 30 as the other one was, you expect it, but not an apparently healthy 6 yr old.
Hes gone to gallop with Jimmy.
RIP both.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
So sorry for you, but it could have been a heart attack, I lost my 11 year old 3 years back and it seems he just dropped where he stood, no sign of struggle and yet he was right as rain when I fed him the night before, came cantering up for his short feed.

rascal

Visit site
So sorry for you, but it could have been a heart attack, I lost my 11 year old 3 years back and it seems he just dropped where he stood, no sign of struggle and yet he was right as rain when I fed him the night before, came cantering up for his short feed.

Thats exactly what happened to Red, we assume thats what it was.

MgO

Visit site
Aw. Hugs to you both xx R.I.P x
Can I just say, keep some of his tail hair to make a bracelet out of - you can keep some of him with you forever xx

eggs

Visit site
So sorry to hear your sad news. Some years ago I found my 3 year old dead in her field - again no sign of any struggle which was some consolation. We had to have a pm for insurance reasons and it turned out she had a huge tumour in her abdomen.

Big Ben

Visit site
Sorry for your loss, such a shock when they go like that, but I always take a little comfort in a death that appears quick and peaceful. We had a girl go, less than an hour after being seen alive and well, she still had a mouthful of hay, and no signs of a struggle, just went right down. Tough on the owners, especially one so young and with promise, but what a way to go.

rascal

Visit site
Thank you all, yes it is a shock, we already miss him. Such a cheeky horse, some (like the owner of a livery yard we left quickly) were intimmidated by him, but we all love him to bits. He was a favorite with the field owners as well. They (not horsey but lovely) called him the big red devil, but it was only in fun. He was a lovely chestnut with a slightley lighter mane and tail, and was always the one that was up to something, hence the name.