What advice would you give me? (Another WWYD)

scats

Visit site
I’m another who doesn’t do long periods of box rest. I have done it in the past and watching the mental impact it had on one horse in particular made me decide I’d never do it again.

I have one recently diagnosed with PSD, sound in walk, about 1/10 on the straight in trot and about 4/10s on a circle. Damage is fairly substantial to the right hind. She’s living her normal routine, except for the work, I’ve taken her shoes off and I will re-evaluate her in 12 months. I can just about afford to have her as an expensive pet and she’s happy enough with half time in and half out.

If she can be turned away and you can afford an ornament for the time being, I would be tempted to give her a year and then see what things are looking like then. If that isn’t an option than I would PTS.

Orangehorse

Visit site
This is a very difficult situation for you. It is a very hard decision.

By the way, you do not need a vet to PTS, if they don't want to do it. Our local chap is really, really good. Kind to horse and human. Of course it isn't an injection, but it is absolutely instantaneous and he takes the horse away too to dispose of, all included.

louf

Visit site
Hi all, sorry to resurrect this post. I have spent the summer trying to rehab my mare and she has been on field rest since July, been scanned and had an injection of plasma into the hole in her suspensory. She is still 4/10ths lame and rests her foot a lot - I think she is probably worse than she was - so I've had to make the decision to PTS. I've already had her shoes taken off to keep one and am waiting on the vet and the fallen stock people to get back to me with a date. It's hard isn't it? Never had to do this before, so I'm struggling, but I know I've made the right decision. Please tell me I'll feel better one it's done? Thanks for reading :)

southerncomfort

Visit site
So sorry to read this. You must be devastated but you've obviously tried absolutely everything for your mare.

You won't immediately feel better....for a while you'll feel like the bottom has fallen out of your world, and you'll probably feel guilty and angry for a bit. But eventually, you'll start to remember her with a smile again. And I very much hope you'll come to realise what a kind, brave and selfless thing you've done for her.

xx

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm sorry to read this.
It is hard but you have done the very best you could for your mare and sadly, it hasn't worked. You will feel better after the deed is done, probably not immediately, although there will be some relief that the waiting is over and she is out of pain. You will be able to look back and know that you did what a responsible owner should do - you put the hrse's needs first.

Blurr

Visit site
Sorry to read your update. That's a really tough decision, made for all the right reasons. You've done everything you possibly can and much more than many would have done. Heartfelt sympathies.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Sorry for your loss, take heart in fact you tried your best and most importantly you are putting her first and thinking of her comfort and welfare above your own feelings.

It's tough but you are the bigger person for making a decision that is hard on you but sounds like the right thing for her 100%

LaurenBay

Visit site
So sorry, it sounds like you have done everything you can for her and given her enough time to come right. To me it doesn't sound like she will ever come sound so I 100% support your decision to PTS. X

SEL

Visit site
I've got one now with a list a mile long of problems and who can't be box rested. She'll be turned out over winter with gentle work if the leg stands up to it and assessed again next year. Join the PSD FB page. There's plenty on there who have turned away / operated on / box rested and all other scenarios who can share their experiences with you. They'll be sympathetic whatever you decide.

wills_91

Visit site
I have been in your exact position and had my lovely girl pts in September, she was also IDx. I had to wait 5 days from making decision to the day itself and every single day was horribly emotional. However when the day itself came I went to yard early with a friend, brought her up and said my good byes. I left when the vet arrived but I did go back to see her body as I don't think I would have settled otherwise. My friend and vet assure me she went peacefully and it was over very quick and honestly after it I felt instant relief and like a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I had done everything I could by her and had good support from those who knew us and my vet. It's a horrible decision but it will get easier. Thinking of you both x

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Hi all, sorry to resurrect this post. I have spent the summer trying to rehab my mare and she has been on field rest since July, been scanned and had an injection of plasma into the hole in her suspensory. She is still 4/10ths lame and rests her foot a lot - I think she is probably worse than she was - so I've had to make the decision to PTS. I've already had her shoes taken off to keep one and am waiting on the vet and the fallen stock people to get back to me with a date. It's hard isn't it? Never had to do this before, so I'm struggling, but I know I've made the right decision. Please tell me I'll feel better one it's done? Thanks for reading :)

It really sucks but you have really tried everything possible, as horrible as it sounds it's often a feeling of relief once it's done.

meleeka

Visit site
You will definitely feel better once it’s done, which is why I’ve chosen to do it tbe same day as I decided. The waiting is by far the worst thing. It’s good that you know you are doing the right thing but it’s normal to doubt yourself after the event x

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
So sorry to hear this. You have obviously done everything possible to help your mare and have had to make a sad decision.

Remember, the way to show the greatest love for your horse and the greatest gift you can give them is the release from their incurable pain.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
So sorry you're having to deal with this OP, my heart just goes out to you, its always the "nice" horses that are so very heartbreaking every single time.

Firstly, I think you need to have a candid chat with your vet. Ask him/her what's what. IME vets are very reluctant to give any kind of accurate prognosis, but you need to know what sort of investigations could be done, what they might show, and (last but deffo not least) how much it is all going to cost!

You also might consider a second veterinary opinion; but you may feel this will only tell you what you already know and will just be throwing good money after bad.

We all have financial limitations unfortunately, and you need to have a good idea of how much this is all going to cost you (and if your insurance, if you have it, will pay up - they'll always go for the exclusion clause if they can).

I don't know whether you are in a situation where you have to pay additional livery for each horse. IF that is the case, and IF this mare is gonna cost you a fortune in livery & vets fees - even at the investigation stage before you've actually got anywhere - then there is no shame in going the PTS route for purely economic reasons let alone anything else. You are not shafting your problem onto someone else, and you'll know for sure what's happened to her. As others have said, there's a lot more worse things that can happen to a horse than humanely PTS.......... :( PLEASE I would urge you don't let her go out as a "companion", there are dreadful things that happen to "companion" horses, we all know this.

IF you are in a situation where you can afford to wait and/or have somewhere where you can turn her away for the winter and/or longterm; this might be an option and you'd be giving her every chance possible. But you would then have the situation of having to decide whether you are going to wait and see whether she comes good, if indeed she ever does, OR whether to buy another horse meantime (presuming you can afford it). As I have my own yard and keep my horses at home, this option might (not saying it would) be something I'd consider, it certainly wouldn't cost me anything extra (apart from a bit of hay/feed etc., and of course farrier to trim hooves occasionally). But I appreciate that I'm very fortunate and a lot of yards will charge you per horse.

So sorry you are in this position. I feel for you I really do :( Bleddi horses.

Last edited:

louf

Visit site
Thank you everyone for all your replies and kind words. I have spoken to the vet and Ellie will be put to sleep on Wednesday afternoon. I am going down to the yard after work at 2.15 and will spend a couple of hours with her beforehand - planning on giving her a bath on Tuesday - and haven’t decided yet if I will stay with her but will see on the day. I know that I have 100% made the right decision but I am finding it really difficult to deal with at the moment. I’m not really speaking about it to anyone as it’s too upsetting so trying to keep myself busy. I am so grateful for everyone’s support and help on here 😊

Pippity

Visit site
Thank you everyone for all your replies and kind words. I have spoken to the vet and Ellie will be put to sleep on Wednesday afternoon. I am going down to the yard after work at 2.15 and will spend a couple of hours with her beforehand - planning on giving her a bath on Tuesday - and haven’t decided yet if I will stay with her but will see on the day. I know that I have 100% made the right decision but I am finding it really difficult to deal with at the moment. I’m not really speaking about it to anyone as it’s too upsetting so trying to keep myself busy. I am so grateful for everyone’s support and help on here 😊

I don't think it's something that anybody could find easy, but you know you're making the best decision for her. I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
If she had not been though all the kissing spine stuff I would be the first to say give her a chance but more box rest on top to me would be a bigger welfare issue then pts. If the prognosis was better, maybe but that is still a maybe. There are worst things that can happen to a horse then being dead. So sorry to read of your problems and your decision. I think you have been very brave.

Velcrobum

Visit site
My thoughts are with you having had to PTS a 10yr old a couple of months ago. I knew it was the kindest thing I could do but still break down even now. My first was my oldie who I had owned for 20 years he went with lethal injection and I held him for that, very peaceful but expensive and I have him in a box upstairs. The recent one was shot, my husband very kindly said he would hold then sent me in doors but I watched from a bedroom window and he went with his ears pricked looking at something in the distance. I did not see him on the ground so my memory is of him with his ears pricked. I still feel guilty but he was lame and getting lamer with arthritis in a hind leg, he was field sound with medication had had a good summer at grass and went with the sun on his back.