What age did all you H&H mums get your kiddie winks their first pony?

scathach

Visit site
my daughter had her first pony before she could sit up, plus side she is very astute and everything is second nature to her. down side now she is 15 she takes her horse for granted however i have never regretted it we spent many years doing showing and pony club together as she grew up she loved her pony dearly and misses her totally but we had to do what was best for the pony and rehome her as she was just sitting in a field getting fat no life for a 12 year old pony.
as to what pony to get? i would never have a shetland for a child unless it was known through pony club circles as being a good one as they generally are the terriers of the horse world ( i accept some are brilliant) hence why i said unless it came recommended to me.
i would go for a welsh section a or a british riding pony my own personal choice here and that is what i have now a welsh section a for my 2 year old son (if i had known i was having more children would never have sold my exmoor mare) and a 13.2 hh british riding pony that my daughter had when she had outgrown her 11.2 depends really on what you intend to do with her and if you can plait etc a native is easier as no plaiting where as a british riding pony has no feathers etc to keep clean in the winter

Lexie81

Visit site
We borrowed a friends pony from when our daughter was about 3 for her to potter around on, then when she was about 4 she went for proper lessons at the local riding school where my friend is a instructor, as I knew there wasn't a hope in hell of her listening to a word I say!! We had a pony on loan frm when she was 5 til when she was 7-a little lead rein pony from a friend and we have now bought an 11.2hh sec A PC pony. OUr daughter is very tall for her age so not sure how long he will last her but she is light as a feather and he is a little superstar, and we won't be letting him go anywhere as he is 22 now and i wouldnt feel happy to sell him on...he is well known in our local PC so hopefully we will find a little girl to come and ride him when the time comes!

Here they are at their first camp last summer
camerapics042.jpg

Tillypup

www.valleypoint.co.uk
This is what I wanted to do! I almost considered having another baby so we could have another Sec A lol!

Lexie, your pony is gorgeous! My daughter started lessons this January (when she turned 4), I'm hoping that her interest will continue as I plan to buy myself a horse next year (when I've stopped paying darling daughter's nursery fees!!) I've mentioned this to her and she has asked many many times if she will be able to come down an help out, if she reamins interested we'll probably look for a pony for her next spring/summer.

I had a 12.2hh Sect. B as my first pony, my sister and I bought him between us for £350 (I think), with our saved up birthday money, I was 8 and had him for a good few years, sister quickly lost interest, but he was just wonderful.

I think I'd be looking for a sect. A or B for Issy when the time comes. I'm even hoping she'd like to do some lead rein showing!!!!!!

niagaraduval

Visit site
My parents are horsey and had horses from a young age, unfortunately when growing up (with 2 brothers) they couldn't afford to buy me my own horse until I was 12-13
as for the most part we lived in an area that was very expensive to keep horses. I'm not complaining, I was ready to care for it on my own and was capable of riding it out also. I think unless the parents are going to do everything to care for the pony children should first know how to look after one. I helped in a riding school 4 days a week for 4 years when I was 8 before getting a horse. (I also got the occasional free ride too).
Although I would have LOVED to have a pony bought for me at such a young age. It was all I ever wanted for christmas since I started riding.
I now think if you have the money and time to spend on looking after the pony and giving lessons etc. You would probably make her very happy !

Lexie81

Visit site
Thanks Tillypup...he is a proper little show off! I knew I wanted a Sec A for her as I had one when I was little and he was amazing! It's great that we can ride out together now, it was knackering having to walk for miles with her when she was on the lead rein!

Cadfael&Coffee

Visit site
My mum got me a friends pony on loan when I was about 18months, then I got a cracking 3 year old 11.3hh welsh a- she was a superstar!!! I did pony club and local shows and all sorts on her, then eventually outgrew her, so we sold her on and got a 12.3hh Connemara when I was about 10

Best first pony ever- forward going and an absolute little doll- none of us wanted to sell her lol!!

Last I heard she's still on the Isle of Man and competed by an 8year old at the gran age of 24 bless her!!

Fuzznugget

gloucestershirehorseriders.webs.com
We got a pony a bit before my daughter turned 3. I was going to get something smaller, but ended up with a 12.2 welsh B that is perfectly behaved for her, but I can't seem to get on with the mare. My little girl loves her though, and would stay on her all day if I let her! She always holds on to the grab strap for dear life when I try to pry her off the pony. :rolleyes:

Pablo349

Visit site
I grew up with lusitano horses in Portugal, where I was born. When we moved over to England mum brought her two lusitano's with her. I just sat on them. I had lessons aged five and rode next door's new forest when mum had time to lead me. When we moved from the IOW I got a full loan of a Shetland (around 7 years old) I had my first proper pony, all of my own, when I was 9years. I would say that 5 years is too young to have your own pony. It also depends on your time and circumstances. Are you willing as a mum to look after her pony as well as yours and give all of them all the time they deserve?
Hope you find a good decision.

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
My one year old nephew has a mini Shetland, one of the advantages of which is that it's much easier to lead the Shetland through the mud of Arena UK than to push a pushchair!

echodomino

Visit site
My one year old nephew has a mini Shetland, one of the advantages of which is that it's much easier to lead the Shetland through the mud of Arena UK than to push a pushchair!

I like that reason :D lol :p

My OH and I are toying with the idea of buying his girls a pony to share. One's 4 the other's 12. They're both very enthusiastic to come and help and come a plod around but my 2 horses are 15.2 and 17hh and although ok for plodging on the 17hh is obviously too big and the 15.2 a bit fizzy. So we're looking at a finding a 13.2 first pony that will suit the 12yr old until she can manage my 15.2 and that the 4 year old will get lots of years out of because she'll have to grow into it before she grows out of it.

But like I said at the mo it's only something we're toying with.
I had to wait until I was 16 for my first horse, although I was 14 when I started riding him

mulledwhine

Visit site
Have just got my 4 year old her first pony, many say she istoo young, and she does not want to help out, even though she does at her riding stables, but I like the fsct that I have now got another equine that 'needs; me <3

TicTac

Visit site
My daughter had her first pony when she was 3 years old. He was a 19 year old shetland called mighty mouse who was given to me as a companion for my other horse. Both equines became the best of buddies as did my daughter and mighty mouse who was pts at the age of 40 2 years ago!

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
Monkeybum had her first pony when she was 5. He was a 12hh lead rein pony (star on lead rein S**t when off lead rein). She'd been to riding school for about 6 months to check that she liked it but then as I ridden for 30+ yrs I reckoned it was just as cheap to buy and teach her myself.