What age did you go on your first solo hack?

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I was 12, that was the age I got my first pony (who was a bit of a monkey to hack!) my parents were totally non-horsey so no clue. Used to hack on roads, off roads... This was about 8/9yrs ago. Looking back, I definitely should not have been allowed, but pony and me both survived :p

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Gosh! Dunno if I can remember. I must have been about 13 or so I reckon, when I got my first pony and he was trustworthy enough to go solo on, bless him, dear little man.

Like someone else has said, the roads were not so crowded in those days and everyone knew everyone in the countryside, so my parents never worried. In those days of course there was no such thing as a mobile phone, I was sent off with 2p pieces to put in a call-box if I needed it!!

Those were the days......... no sat-navs to take juggernauts down country roads and get stuck; no mass cycle-races; can't ever remember seeing any quad bikes on the road ever, or trials bikes, they were kept where they belong, in the fields!

LHIS

Visit site
27.. partially because my first horse at 18 was nappy and I wasn't good enough a rider to get her past that by myself. Then I had a horseless few years, then lost all my confidence, and finally made it on my first solo hack aged 27 with my second horse (pony).

ponies4ever

Visit site
was 13 when I got my totally green just turned 6 cob and we just went straight out olone. Have non horsey parents though..

fuzzymooch

Visit site
10 in the early 90s, but wasn't allowed on the roads until 13. D could be flighty but he always took care of me and my mom trusted him to bring me back home safe :).

Corbie

Visit site
10. This was 1980's. What a different world children grow up in now, so much more protected. Which is right and good of course; but all of my solo childhood pursuits and adventures on my cheeky little welshie does bring a smile to my face!

honetpot

Visit site
When I was about 12. It was the 70's my mum had no idea of danger, and not really interested in what I did. I walked 3miles alone across fields from school one way, and about four miles back in the dark beside a busy main , road through deserted allotments and across a playing field, twice a week in winter and hacked out in the dusk on my own. Bonkers.

huskydamage

Visit site
8 or 9 i think. Was 20 years ago. I loved the freedom I had as a kid to do that stuff, I never had any problems. I had a forest to ride in back then and the only real rule was not to be there when it got late as that's when all the weirdos came out. Used to get a lot of creepers, flashers etc in the forest. That was the concern,people, more than roads etc

Antw23uk

Visit site
Probably about 9/10? But my mum used to follow behind me in the car I found out recently, lol (Im nearly forty, she only just told me!) A fearless age and certainly a lot less traffic on the roads which was handy as my chestnut mare used to jog everywhere sideways!

MagicMelon

Visit site
About 11 I think. In those days there was a lot less traffic, but disappearing for the day with a packed lunch was normal. My parents weren't horsey so weren't worried! No mobiles either.

Not a chance baby NB will be doing the same when he gets to that age, sadly. It's a different world.

I was 9 (when I got my first pony). My parents werent very horsey so just left me to it, Id spend ours in the field with my pony and go off for hours with a packed lunch, sometimes meeting up with a friend. And this was along country roads pretty much for 3 or 4 miles before Id get to proper off-road stuff. It was different back then though. Id never let my son do that at that age - the roads are way more dangerous these days.