What age do you consider a horse to be old?

Evie91

Visit site
In general terms? Obviously it depends on the individual, health etc

I was just musing really. I always thought a veteran was 16 plus. I'm assuming that as people live longer so do horses, so is 16 still a widely accepted figure or has it gone up?

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
A horse used to be considered aged at 9, but I think we're a long time past that! My cob is 22, I would say he started to show his age a couple of years ago, in looks and in his action, although he still has his five year old brain.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Veteran classes still start at age 16 and insurance companies seem to consider that veteran cover starts at that age.
My 21 yr old Draft horse has just started to tell the farrier that she is uncomfortable when he expects her to let him hold one front leg up with the knee bent. I have decided to give her bute the evening before he is due in future.

rascal

Visit site
Depends on the horse, our old horse didnt really show his age until he was in his late twenties. My daughter took him in a ridden veteran class at 25 and the judge couldnt believe his age. I think it was because we didnt overdo things when he was young, that he was still perfectly sound at that age.
I know horses who have worked very hard, very young, and been pts by the time they are in their mid teens because they were suffering.

Lolo

Visit site
I think it depends a lot on the horse- smaller ones age better. Reg is semi-retired at 14, whereas my old boy (same breed, 2 hands smaller) hit 25 before he really began to need to properly slow down. But generally for horses, 16, for ponies 18 IMO.

sarahann1

Visit site
I think if completely depends on the horse and you have to take each one as an individual. Having said that when a horse hits its twenties I consider it a "senior".

As above.

I remember reading something that the average lifespan of a horse has improved but days over 25 should be considered a bonus. Can't for the life of me remember where I got that from though!

harlequinwalk

Visit site
My horse is 18 and has really showed very little sign of slowing down, I don't consider him old, he's hardly changed at all since he was 12. Another horse I look after is 19 and has Cushings, but it is well managed and aside from the fact that getting her fit is a slightly slower process, again she doesn't seem old. Both are still happy, mobile and could be mistaken for much younger horses 😊

Dumbo

Visit site
My horse is 15 - he's feeling better than he ever has. I was shocked to see our local show had a class for veteran's... 13 and over!!
I grew up riding a little mare up until she was 36 and never thought of her as old. It's funny how much it varies between horses.

Jo1987

Visit site
I don't consider any horse old until it looks/behaves as if it is old! My first pony is 24 and apart from a little greying around his face, is the same as when I met him when he was 7! (Maybe a bit more mellow!) my other horse however is 19 and is retired due to ringbone, sidebone and complications from both. I describe him as my old boy.

blitznbobs

Visit site
depends on the situation- I consider a horse I own old when I'm thinking about retiring it... I only buy youngsters but if I was advising someone else I'd suggest that anything over 15 was probably asking for a short working life...

ETA my GP horse retired at 22... and was PTS at 24... I thought he did well