What age does a horse stop being a 'youngster'

Megibo

Visit site
yeah i'd say 7 or 8 :) 8 at a push..
i'm schooling a mare for mum's friend who is 6 and green and despite her being bombproof-ish we call her baby-like cause of her ways :)

my 12 year old had them when we got her (she'd just turned 6) and grew out of them so yes about 7 :D

Sparkles

Visit site
Generally about an hour after breaking with the cobs here.....lol.

On a slightly more serious note [though found the above is majorily true!], you wouldn't even know one of the cob stallions we got into break this year is as green/young as he is.
Backed end of March and within 2 weeks was walk/trot/cantering. Starting hacking on the 3rd week lightly, did a little bit of basic pole work in the 4th week.
After the 4th week, he was pretty much bombproof and solid as a rock. He's forwards, but not spooked or faltered at anything once. Balanced walk-trot-cantering in the school and without, even took him round the gallops once for a change!
He'll work in an outline, stretch long and low, search for the contact, leg yield, etc...even does flying changes automatically if he picks up the wrong leg in canter bless him.
Can get on him whenever, he's stabled 24/7 [though has a turnout area attached and a big pen], have other people riding him, kids been on him, etc.
Did an open day the other week, took him in the lorry there and got on him in the middle of a busy yard open day, with mares, other stallions around etc and he didn't bat an eyelid and went perfectly.

You just honestly wouldn't know he's a baby to look at as he is just SO genuine and willing and is just a complete dude.
I wish every horse was like him as he just completely amazing.

Last edited:

Syrah

Visit site
Thanks everyone.

I was thinking around the age 7 mark depending on what education they've had.

In terms of growth, I know the heavier breeds mature slower.

Mince Pie

Visit site
Oh definitely! My cob was 13.2 when I got him at 5/6, he didn't finish growing until he was 8!

I think it's about experience rather than age, if I got a 9 year old who had been backed at 6 for example I would think of that horse as a youngster. Whereas a 7 year old who was backed at 3 wouldn't if it had had all the work done and was schooling happily and consistently if that makes sense?

Visit site
In Showing terms a Youngster is 3yo and under. 4yo+ are classed as adult ponies. 4+inhand classes the horses and ponies are expected to be mature enough and behave as befits an adult horse. Ridden classes differ in that slight allowances are made for age and immaturity mentally but you can only get away with the youngster card until they are newly turned 6yos. As of about May/June in their 6th year they are expceted to act and behave like a 14yo been there, seen it done it horse. Some will of course be maturing still and won't truly come into their own physically until they are 7 or 8.

Working in National Hunt racing I count 4yos and under as youngsters but as 5yos they should know their job and go about it, mentally, like an older horse. Maturity still comes with time.