what age to put a mare in foal?

crazycoloured

Visit site
I have been thinking the past couple of weeks how much id like a foal out of my special mare. The foal would be for keeps. She is 3 now and has just been broken-in.. Would 6 years old be about the right age to consider putting her in foal. Giving me 2 years to do some riding with her then i could ride her after she has weaned the foal.any advice welcome

angrovestud

Visit site
Hi Crazycoloured the younger mares are much easier than mares say over 10 you sound like you have thought it through and 6 sounds good as she will have plenty of time after she has had her foal to recommence a career,we have various types of mares here but always the younger ones get in foal much quicker.hope this helps. we see on average 20+ mares per season from warmbloods to cobs coloureds and lots of TBs.
What are you planning to breed for yourself?

crazycoloured

Visit site
Hi angrove, The mare in question is a 15 Hh homozygous native/vanner mare.With quite a bit of feathering. I would like to put her to a traditional stallion and produce something sensible that is capable of turning its hoof to anything. My mare is special to me and this will be her only foal. So i want to get it right. I had thought about a thoroughbred to produce something bigger and more refined that would make a useful jumper/allrounder.