What age to you start leading foals at ?

mariond

Visit site
Just as the question asks when do you all start leading your foals. A lot of people that I know do not lead their foals but leave it until weaning time to start. I started my 2 year old at a week or so but this years foal is 11 weeks old and has not been led due to the fact she was lame for a few days when I would have normally started (caught a flying hoof off the mare when cantering around) I am always nervous of the foal pulling back and going up & over due to an incident in the past. Unfortunately there aren't enough of us for 1 to lead the mare and 2 to cradle the foal thus giving pressure from behind. All suggestions/comments gratefully received

severnmiles

Visit site
I started at a few days with Archie, to be honest the sooner the better otherwise it can get very stressful for the little one.

He always led out like a lamb then!

casey2312

s6.photobucket.com
We started leading ours at a week. Cos he was such an independant little sod, he would just bugger off and leave mum.
grin.gif

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Ours are lead & it is not long before you can lead both on your own. The foal has to learn first though & is it best to either have a hand just below his 1/4's or get a long enough line that goes around his 1/4's as they are less likely to pull back.

amandaco2

Visit site
i started at 5 days just with the headcollar on and a towel round her butt and neck.
bey was very easy and chilled out and very independant so i did do quite a lot of things at an early age.i think if she was more timid or shy i would have taken things slower and been careful not to over face her.