What am I doing wrong?

GrumpyHero

Visit site
I've been looking for a full loan for a while, had a few responses to my wanted ad and responded to ads that I think are suitable.

Every single one of them has just stopped replying to me.
Even ones who have contacted me and I've got back to them and they've never replied ...

I'm feeling pretty down hearted and that I'm never going to find a horse. I've got a stable reserved, I'm a competent rider and I know how to look after a horse and have experience!

Sorry for the rant I just feel like I'm getting nowhere :(

GrumpyHero

Visit site
I've got an advert up on every site I can think of and I check preloved/horsemart/equine adverts etc every day!
I'd buy one if I had the money to spend 2-3 grand on a horse but I don't

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site

hnmisty

Visit site
Depending on what you are after, there seem to be a lot of nice things around for under £2k at the moment. Could you look for a LWVTB or ask if you could buy one and pay by installment?

I would imagine that loans are very popular at the moment for the exact reason of not being able to afford to buy. I remember when I was looking for a loan about 11 years ago, they were all nutters, pure and simple. Now I see quite a few really nice horses for loan, and it's simply because the owners can no longer afford to keep them.

Don't lose heart, I'm sure you'll find something!

Littlelegs

Visit site
I'm on my phone & can't see where you are, & no idea what you're looking for but a member on here called tabithakat was looking to loan, iirc it is herts area, might be worth having a look?

GrumpyHero

Visit site
I'm in Manchester, I've had loads of responses for nice horses but then all contact jut stops randomly!
I'm looking for something 15.2hh over to do a bit of everything on, not too old or young as I plan to keep/ buy in a few years so preferable like age 7-13.

I've seen a few cheap nice looking horses on horsemart but more than likely there is a reason they are cheap!
I'm 20 but my mum (lol) doesn't think I should commit to buying yet!

Thanks for all your replies just feel a bit down about it all I'm sure something will come along!!

hnmisty

Visit site
I've had a riding school pony on loan for the last year (and have now decided that I want to own my own again). Could you look to see if anywhere near you offers something like that? It's a very good deal- he's barely ridden in the riding school, so apart from Saturdays (when he's used as a lead rein pony :p:D) I can have him whatever days I want (2 days a week) for £95. Never have to pay for anything extra eg replacement shoes when he's ripped one off.

navaho

Visit site
Horses are cheap because they arent selling, not because there is anything wrong with them. You could easliy pick something up for under £1500 at the moment.

Bayneddie

Visit site
Probably a completely random post but when I was in Urmston Tack and Feed recently they asked me if I knew anyone who wanted to loan (I think) an IDx. Depending on where in Macnchester you are might be worth a shot?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
The initial cost of buying is nothing. I've known people get stick it on their credit cards! You need to consider if you can't afford to buy, can you afford to loan: pay livery, farrier, hay, straw, feed, insurance, transporting the horse to you etc.

I think the owners are very rude not to get back to you and say you're not successful, at least. Keep trying, I'd be madly fussy about loaning out, perhaps people are just cautious.

micki

Visit site
In my recent experience the horses that you are contacting the owner about could already be loaned out. I put my lad on preloved for loan on a Friday morning about 10o'clock and by 2 o'clock i had lovely lass get in touch with me about him. She came that evening to try him and he went to her a week later. Over that week she came and rode him a few times to make sure he was right for her. I had 6 people waitng to hear if she had him or not. I know mine was a boy to go o ut competing with, he has a fantastic jump, but i'm sure others are finding that their horses are loaning out just as quickly. I am very lucky that my boy hasn't gone very far from me and i can easily go and check on him.
It is very rude of the owners not to get back in touch with you though. Have you got an ad on stabletalk. I had my boy on there aswell and i had 1 person get in touch with me from on there.

Aarrghimpossiblepony

Visit site
What are you writing in your ads?

If you don't have that much experience (in owning/looking after horses/previous loans) but are looking for something a bit classy the two might not match up in the loaners head.

Like everything else, start off looking at a "lower level" horse to loan and work up. Unless you know a person looking to loan, people will inevitably look at their horse and try and find the best person experience wise. And if the horse is a genuine good all rounder then it will have more interest from people like yourself looking to loan.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'm looking for something 15.2hh over to do a bit of everything on, not too old or young as I plan to keep/ buy in a few years so preferable like age 7-13.

Thing is, assuming you want something sane-ish, that's pretty much what everyone's after. Loans of nice horses of this description will be snapped up fast - and owners will have plenty of interest about them. Move quickly if you see one you like - get down to try it asap and let them know you're serious.

Personally, I'd just save up and buy though as loans can be a nightmare!

philamena

Visit site
It sounds like you're doing a lot of the contact by email. I'd move on to speaking on the phone as soon as you possibly can. You get much further much more quickly, and it may well be that this is what other people are doing and so are getting there first. I'd send one email or text (if that's how they ask you to contact them) and would be asking in the first message whether there's a good time to call. You can get done in a ten min phone conversation what might take four or five emails to and fro. Great horses (whether for sale or loan) often get snaffled by the first person who gets in to see them, so the trick is to be first to see it as often as you can :)

GrumpyHero

Visit site
I think I spoke to soon I've got a really promising reply!

A lot of the adverts I've seen only have the option to email/message especially on preloved.

My main concern is I'm getting a reply from them and then nothing! I'm experienced with horses although I've never owned my own I am thoroughly capable of looking after a horse. I'm not a numpty I guess I'm just getting annoyed haha!

I just think that if it were my horse I wouldn't ignore anyone? It's just rude I'd at least get back and say that he/she's not available?

Thankyou to all the replies if no joy with this horse ill get on the phones!

mandwhy

Visit site
Nice horses for full loan go quickly (if you can find them at all), so they've probably found someone and not got back to you (which is rude but there you go). Have you been on your local facebook groups? I barely bother with any other websites these days and there are more loans on there.

You are looking for what most people want though, there won't be that many people who want to loan out a sane horse in their prime to a stranger, so you just need to get in there quickly, as soon as you know the basics are right then don't dawdle, get in there and view :)

Hope the next one is the right one!