What am i doing wrong?

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
Ok, i have a big 16.3hh warmblood who before he came to me was on codliver oil supp, pony nuts and some chaff and was being ridden lightly once a day.

I am riding once a day also but harder work (hills etc) and for about an hour if not more- i actually stopped all his hard feed because hes so lively! (i was feeding the same as his previous owner) The other day he bucked me off (hes never ever done it before) and it cant be because hes fresh.
Hes started jogging to go be turned out, jogging when coming back in, jogging when we ride out. Hes beoming spooky and jumpy all the time at things hes never battered an eye at before.

Hes becoming too hard to handle and i just dont understand- i want to check its not feed and theres not something on that mark thats causing it? He has good quality hayledge as im on a race horse yard and turnout every day.

Help me please!

simone666

Visit site
hey u, well i also have a warm blood, 16.1 and shes a mare, i have the same prob wiv her, wot i hav started doin wiv her is lungin her off all tacked up until she is sweating, then take the sod out, beliv me i hav tried everything with her, they are very naughty, my friends didnt think my girl was a very nice horse, spinnin buckin, runnin backwards, throwin herself on the floor, pushin me into hedges, bloody hard work....
shes now on calmers....... and seem to be workin with the lungin.. good luck mate!!!!!!!

WelshRareBit

Visit site
I would say its a definite case of better grass itis!! I have a 17.1 and its bloody annoying when they start all that fuss isnt it? I dont think you are doing anything wrong at all, if you can cut his concerntrates a little perhaps he'll calm down a little?

carmenlucy123

Visit site
ha ha he's getting fit and feeling rather pleased with himself obviously...come on now you did buy a warmblood!!
thats maybe the only thing you did wrong...heehee

mickey

Visit site
I wonder if now he is not getting fed he is uncomfortable in his stomach (due to acid) - Does he have ad-lib grass/forage to keep his stomach full?
Or maybe he is suffering a mineral deficiency due to no hard feed - poss magnesium or similar mineral deficiency - associated with the nervous system. Suggest a multi vit supplement or a calmer (magnesium based)
The grass will be very juicy and full of sugar in this hot weather so that could account for the high jinks.

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
I'd get his back and teeth checked if he were mine, it might just be fitness and the spring grass, but its best to be safe than sorry. A new horse at the yard was having a few very minor behavioural issues, running of when mounted/dismounted. Turns out his teeth haven't been done in years, one was very sharp, his pelvis was tilted and he had muscle spasms in his neck... I bet he's going to be an angel from now on
smile.gif

Peanot

Visit site
I bought my warmblood mare when she was 6, and she was a little poor, so I started feeding her and as she put weight on and the spring grass started to come through, she was full of life and spooky and a little like yours. I am a firm believer in manners and so insisted on them, and although she was polite and respectful, she was still lively and spooky so I fed her the `equivite calm` and this calmed her down a treat as it was the spookiness that was causing the problems. She is 11 now and although it took a good 12 months, she is a pleasure to own, albeit a little lazy now!!!
crazy.gif
and I have just changed her feed to give her a little more pep.
Warmbloods are supposed to be known for their laziness but they are totally opposite in their younger years. Your horse will eventually quieten down.
wink.gif