What an insulting report!!

Jellymoon

Visit site
Exactly. And I know you will all hate me for this, but I did stifle a giggle when I read it (runs and hides) particularly about the fake Stonehenge and the judges hiding behind flowers…and the music stolen from the lift, and Carl Hester’s easy listening version of Easy Lover…

Trouper

Visit site
The hard copy paper this morning has redeemed itself - slightly - with a more informed piece and a feature on Charlotte and her background story.

The overall coverage still leaves you with the feeling that dressage is regarded as an elitist sport with riders simply being provided with a horse that does all the work - although the paper did include the quote today that "Charlotte could get a donkey to do piaffe".

I'm still smarting about the equestrian coverage on the BBC. It can apparently spend hours taking us through the intricacies of gymnastics and discussing them in detail in the studio to the extent that it misses Lottie Fry's individual performance, only catching the last few seconds. Poor control BBC!!

Turitea

Visit site
I still laughed, I thought it was funny. And I am sure CD and Co can see the funny side too. I am sure there are worse reports out there.

J&S

Visit site
No, not funny, just ignorant and badly edited. (as so much written work is now).

Uliy

Visit site
Gosh, littered with spelling mistakes and poor grammar, even aside from the snide “Groundhog Day” remarks!

and the way he described Charlotte’s bronze medal winning ride as if she totally messed it up to end up behind Germany and the USA ? anyway, I’m sure the Olympic riders have a much tougher skin and won’t be offended by this journalist’s ignorance!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
even worse is what i read on social media yesterday about simone biles the amazing american gymnast, she pulled out of the final and said it was due to her mental health, some jerk said she was being cowardly and didnt want to face the final. personally i think she has been brave giving the real reason rather than lying and saying she had been injured. theres the old saying...... if you cant say something nice, say nothing at all...... i think that is a good saying which these media warriors should take note of..theres too much nastiness online these days and it does so much harm...

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Don't get me wrong, if I were a journalist sent to cover the Olympics and was told I had to go and watch the ping pong, I would feel aggrieved. However, as it was my job and I was being paid, I would then learn as much as I could about the game and the competitors, watch it, write my piece, and be very congratulatory about the medal-winners. The bloke sounds like a spoilt brat who got told no and had a tantrum.
Maybe start by calling it table tennis instead of ping pong.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
So it’s not OK for sports journalists to write sarcastic reports referring to dressage as dancing, prancing horses but OK to call table tennis ping pong. Whatever.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
So it’s not OK for sports journalists to write sarcastic reports referring to dressage as dancing, prancing horses but OK to call table tennis ping pong. Whatever.
I have no problem with people referring to dressage as "dancing horses", I think it's quite nice actually. I just want to point out, and I thought was quite obvious in my first post, that I am not a journalist so I would never get sent to write an article about the Olympics. Sorry if you didn't pick up on that nugget of information. Not quite sure why you're so incensed about it given its never going to happen ? Good grief.

Snowfilly

Visit site
Ping pong is quite a common name for table tennis and was certainly called that when I was at school playing it! Maybe a regional thing?

lynz88

Visit site
Well, I must say I was shocked by this news report:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympic...aekwondo-diving-swimming-equestrian/#comments

It’s very sarcastic and insulting to our Olympic riders and the sport itself!!

I must admit I didn't read the whole thing as it was a shockingly badly written. TBH on Sky the other night they were talking about how impressed they all were with Charlotte and can't imagine what it takes to make a 500kg animal "do those moves like crossing their legs across the arena". They clearly weren't horsey and didn't pretend to be but were utterly impressed.

Reading this is like reading news reports about legal/policy things. I largely just shrug them off and think "you're just an idiot that doesn't deserve my energy". I can say they same about this article. Shocked that The Telepgraph of all places actually published this...

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
the dancing horses label came during the 2012 olympics and its a good label for the general public to understand, if it makes dressage more popular i dont mind..