What angers you when observing horse/riders at competitions?

Bendyhorse

Visit site
I watched a showjumping competition at a well known college venue and a horse refused a jump...got the stride wrong so the horse didnt attempt and the rider circled away braying the life out of the horse. I was horrified no one stepped in as it was beyond a smack on the bum as ill-judged discipline it was full on bad temper. Me and my good friend said in front of the audience how disgusting it was and I went down to the secretary to find complain and ask why nothing had been done to stop the rider...secretary asked who it was and said they would "have a word."

I trusted the venue to do what is right by the horse so went up to the gallery to watch the next class...she came in and how did I recognise the witch? the huge welt marks on the horses quarters in the shape of the whip!

Another girl at our yard admitted that when her mare was eliminated in a class she took it back to the wagon shut it inside and beat her up. I was mortified as it turned out the horse had arthritis in her front legs. Didnt speak to the girl, complete diva

I hate people that wont stand up to what they feel is wrong just as much as the people doing it to the horse

If I had ever treated my horse badly my mum would have given me away and kept the horse....too right

I have to add what I like at shows is going with friends and helping each other out moral support is invaluable

Last edited:

debsg

Visit site
Snotty people giving dirty looks to my beautiful chunky girl in the collecting ring of the local jumping, then being gushingly pally to us after she has jumped a lovely double clear.
Always having to jump off against little kids on nippy ponies. I refuse to haul Blaze round corners to try to beat a 10 yr old and win a piece of card with ribbon stuck to it :D Whatever happened to juniors and seniors classes? People who get arsey when they don't get placed, or whinge about other competitors being placed above them. Anyone who beats or screams at their horse, anyone who has a paddy in front of everyone else.
In short: anyone who takes the whole shebang too bloody seriously! It's supposed to be FUN :D

MagicMelon

Visit site
Young kids with spurs on and riding ponies bitted up to the eyeballs, mother on the sidelines giving them a lesson in the warm up ring and then yelling stuff (usually total rubbish) in the ring. Hate seeing any horse or pony over-tacked.

Show jumping warm ups where grooms wack the fences up to stupid heights and then walk off leaving them at that, or simply walking out in front of the fence to amend it as soon as their rider has jumped it. The riders who think they're pros, who ride AT you in the warm up and expect you to move and the same people who normally have a horse exploding and misbehaving horrifically and again YOU have to get out of THEIR way (when they should leave the warm up or at least stay down one end).

Hate seeing people smacking their horses in the ring when its quite clearly the riders error as to why they horse has stopped at a fence. They then go outside to the warm up in a strop and jump the horse over and over again until its shattered, yeah thats a good way to make the horse enjoy it...

Also dislike seeing children or young teens taking out their anger on the pony. I fence judged a few years back when a girl's pony refused the fence 3 times so she was eliminated. She then lost the plot and laid into the horse whilst yanking its back teeth out. I told her to stop and her reaction was "well the b*stard has already thrown me off today". I was mortified to hear that from a kid of about 12. The paramedic was nearby and saw it all - we ordered her off her pony and to walk back to cool off. The mother was informed by the paramedic of her daughters behaviour as he handed her pony back! She was reported to the organisers so I assume she was told off further that day.

Last edited:

Warmblood3

Visit site
The one thing I cannot stand is spoilt children who throw tantrums or complain when their - usually very expensive and well schooled - horse/pony doesn't do well.
Last summer I went to a local charity show, and I overheard one young girl say to her friend:

"I cannot believe he didn't win the class.. he placed at HOYS last year.."
Then proceeding to have a bitch about the judge.

.... then WHY enter him into a unaffiliated charity event?! :cool:

Last edited:

TheSylv007

www.ridewelland.co.uk
Those snotty kids that don't even smile when they win because its just another rosette for the collection. I am so uncool, I actually have a video of me lined up with a bunch of 12 year olds after a show jumping class and they are all ultra 'bovvered' and I am there grinning like a tool and waving at my mum with my third place rosette in my hand. By the way, I am 33. :/

Shutterbug

Visit site
I havent read other responses, but I absolutely cannot stand lack of manners and consideration in the warm up arena - its a nightmare trying to warm up with horses and ponies whizzing in all directions - also hate anyone riding with a hefty bit, pulling their horses back teeth out while wearing spurs :rolleyes:

What really grinds me though are pushy parents who reduce their nervous kids to absolute tears. I witnessed it the other day - kid was in tears as she was so nervous before going into the ring - instead of calming her down and encouraging her and being positive, the mother could only loudly berate her in front of all the other riders, yelling at her to stop being such a wuss and stop crying, she wasn't even in the ring yet. Poor kid went in shaking, red faced and snot nosed - did her dressage test but came out with a little smile as her pony had behaved - now how much better an experience would it have been for her if she had the support of her own mother - I wanted to hit the woman across the face really hard :(

Challaborough Christmas Tree

Visit site
I try and warm up somewhere else for a while and only go in the warm up arena to pop a few jumps before my class, otherwise fly gets too worked up from the fuss of the warmup ring to focus in his round. I hate people beating horses onto their trailers at the end. I understand horses can be hard to load and I calmly offer help but surely beating them isn't going to help load in the future?

Madam Min

Visit site
Those who blame everyone but themselves for their mistakes, those that take it out on the horse and pushy parents.

Last week we were show jumping at a venue local to us and witnessed a lad of about 20+ have what admittedly was an awful round with lots of faults, I think he was eventually eliminated. We all have our off days but what was shocking was that back at the box in the car park his mother proceeded to scream, shout and generally humiliate him in front of everyone and ended this little scene by saying he was making a show of her! He hadn't even uttered a word back to her! She then proceeded to get someone else on the horse to show her son howin her view things should be done! :eek:

Visit site
The adults that ride in the kids show ponies for them or lunge them for hours on end first to make them "safe" enough for said kids to mount.

Admittedly I did ride in one of my lead rein shetlands before I let the kid on BUT I had very good reason to - it was the ponies first EVER show, I was the only one who had previously ridden her having backed her, it was the Royal Highland Show of all shows to go to! And I wanted to make sure she wasn't phased by anything so I took her for a walk round the showground and had a wee trot on her. In total - 15mins work before the kid hopped on, did the class, came 8th of 30+ (Mega pleased with my wee mare so I was :D) I then let her off the lead to play around out of the ring. I never sat on her again at a show after that.

The see-sawing hands.

The spoilt brats that clearly think that they can go where they please, when they please and everyone else has to go around them. Adults and Kids here!

The screaming parents - oh lord! The best one was one actually in the ring having a right royal go at her kid on the lead rein as in the individual show the pony tripped slightly in a hole, the kid lost one rein, bless the wee pony he steadied up to a very slow trot, waited for her to get her rein again then carried on. For the rest of it's indi show and in the line up the mother was having a go at the kid along the lines of "If you can't keep hold of your f-ing reins then how the f do you think you are going to win at the Highland." - Lots of swearing and threats later, whilst both judge, steward and other competitors were getting annoyed, they were pulled in 5th - it was a top quality line up and he deserved his place. Well that was it! The judge came over with rosettes and sweets and the mother snatched them, threw them at the kid and proceeded to storm off out of the ring dragging said pony and kid. Kids in tears, has dropped everything so the steward went chasing after them. The ring wasn't open yet so the mother grabbed the rope and flung it, p;ony flinched so she yanked her lead rein then pretty much belted it out of the ring. The steward then caught up with her and all hell broke loose :D This woman got the biggest dressing down you will have ever have heard! She looked shell shocked that someone dare speak to her in such a way! Once the judge had finished and dismissed the class she too came out to speak to the mother. Needless to say I didn't see them for the rest of the season and they most certainly didn't rock up at the Highland! But if that goes on in public at a show I hate to imagine what goes on at home!

Saucisson

Visit site
Gosh! This thread has been a right eye-opener!

I only compete at a very low level and sure, there's annoyances like kids cutting you up but generally, people are polite and nice to their horses.

They ban people here for over-use of the whip, even at low level. At a comp this weekend, one girl got a month's ban for using her whip too much at 80cm and I thought she was just riding very positively :eek:

I don't like "armchair" critics on the sidelines (not so much at my level). I think that until you've ridden said horse, don't criticise the tack or the way it's being ridden. Some horses are extremely tricky and if you can do better with no spurs/a snaffle and a caveson (sp?)/cuddles & hugs etc well go and see the owners - they'll be delighted to take you on board ;)

Luci07

Visit site
That's easy.....seeing my large green eyed monster grow in statue as I watch the eventers having a ball while I am still on the starting blocks with my baby horse!!!!

LollyDolly

Visit site
People who don't know how to have fun!! :D

I have mainly always dealt with problem or inexperienced horses so for me as long as my horse doesn't try to kill themself or me I am delighted!
I'd rather go to a show and place last but my mount be impeccably behaved than go and win but have my horse be a royal pain!

Also I'm not much of a shower anyway, I am much more fond of dressage! And at my local RC dressage (lack of transport prevents me from affiliating, the woes of being a university student!!) is absolutely lovely. Honestly the atmosphere is amazing, everybody helps each other out and they are just so kind. It really makes the day lovely, a pleasant change from the bitchiness and back handedness of other competitions!
Sadly I just wish more of my competition venues were like this :cool:

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Not something which annoyed me too much, but I took my youngster to her first show and I have a 3.5t side opening box which opens on the passenger side. Anyway, the trailer which came in after me parked so that I couldnt open the ramp properly, so I moved a tad closer to the trailer on the other side of me - they still had loads of room. Anyway, I got a few dirty looks from the people with the trailer, so I politely asked if they would like me to move somewhere else. Man with them made some snidey comment about it being such a huge car park and having to park so close, so I told them the reason I had moved closer was because someone had parked close to me however it wasn't a problem and I would move. The woman then started saying over and over again "We have a colt in here you know, we don't know how he's going to be, he's a colt and he could be dangerous etc etc". Well we moved the box and watched this "colt" come out of their trailer. I'm not joking, it was a miniature shetland - it was about the size of my dog. WTF? Myself and friend who had gone with me just started laughing because it was so farcical. Generally I just find most people nowadays anger me, whether at a show or not......getting old and grumpy....

Mithras

Visit site
Generally showing people.

Showing people on half dead, possibly ACP-d horses, who think there is something wrong with a horse that tosses its head.

And Mothers (sorry). The ones who think their Precious can ride anything and everything, who on seeing someone without a Mother In Attendance, make suggestions along the lines of "Don't you think your horse would go better if you took away your whip/spurs/martingale", and who obviously think Precious could ride any horse better. NB this type even make these comments when said horse has won the competition, and is notorious for decking various professionals.

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
When you are standing at the very furthest away point of the warm up field with your new-to-competing stallion, who is being VERY good and enjoying his adoring audience on foot who bring polos and treats, and some walloper on her walloper welsh mare parks her backside under his nose.And then has the cheeck to request that we are asked to leave because he pawed the ground and got a bit shouty.

people who cut you up in front of jumps....

pushy parents. I for one LOVE teaching kids. especially coaching them at shows. I love watching their wee faces light up when you egg them on and the steely little looks of determination when then march into the ring feeling like they can do anything after your pep talk! I love watching when they fall off, and just get straight back on... and I love when they win how much it means to them to have someone pat their backs when they leave the arena. how can you degracde a child when they are meant to be having fun?

And here's the one that REALLY gets me and makes me swell with pride, when they DON'T win, they have the manners to congratulate the other little girl who did when she came out her lap of honour. Totally off her own back. I was totally gobsmacked.

Janette

Visit site
People who go to a show, don't get placed where they think they should, and then blame the judge for placing friends/show politics/the judge doesn't know what they are looking at etc.

It's supposed to be fun. If you don't like showing, then don't do it.

Kids who gallop their ponies around the show ground, up and down the lorry lines, don't get off them and do this all day.

People who ask for another go at doing their show/ trotting up in hand/ ask for multiple jumps over the jump in 'riding club type'.... I don't mind one more jump to give a horse confidence, but going on and on? It's selfish.

People who wait- then enter the ring late and disturb the class. It's rude.

lcharles

Visit site
I looooove competing but this is what i hate:

1) People that 'click' at their child's/friend's horse jumping in the ring......if you aren't riding the pony in the ring then keep your mouth shut!

2) Parents that ride around on the childs 12hh pony and 'prep' them up ready to chuck the child on at the last minute. If your child can't ride, get it lessons or buy it a pony that'll help it, not zoom around the ring in whatever direction its pointed.

3) People that adjust the practise jumps when you are quite clearly coming towards it! Everyone uses the jumps not just your friend.

4) People that put the practise jump up to 4ft for the 2"ft3 class and leave it so someone has to put it back down.

5) People, usually youngsters, that whizz about and cut you up in the practise area.

6) People that put their number down first but then aren't ready. And people not being ready when its there turn!

7) Judges that use one rule for one, and one rule for another - especially pony clubs!

8) People that take ages to walk the course, if you know your crap at learning the course, get in the ring first so you have more time rather than waltzing in after everyones finished walking it to save yourself looking like a lost muppet and wasting everyone else's time.

9) People that leave a horse smashing away inside a lorry/trailer, its clearly not happy. Get it out and take it with you, or at least stay at the lorry and not expect someone else to rescue it when its stuck on top of the partition.

10) Courses that aren't up to height. Hate entering a 3ft class which then has 2ft 6/9 jumps!

And breathe................

I love competing though! lol x

rascal

Visit site
The boot it and yank it people, often with a harsh bit and spurs really drives me nuts.

People who let the horse/pony get really fat because its what the equally daft judge likes, horses should be fit.

People on horses/ponys that are way too small, and clearly are not happy.

People on horses/ponys they cant handle, everyone has to learn but dont put others in danger.

katymay

Visit site
Going to your first ever show with pony and child, pony doing a massive bronco bucking session (without child) queue the whole of the show looking at me to see if I can hold on to said pony or whether I let go, and ONLY one person offering assistance who was actually someone I knew, went home totally ashamed and wanted the ground to swallow me up, a lovely lovely man on a 18hh horse more than made up for the day by helping to get pony loaded :)

lauraandjack

Visit site
The one thing I cannot stand is spoilt children who throw tantrums or complain when their - usually very expensive and well schooled - horse/pony doesn't do well.
Last summer I went to a local charity show, and I overheard one young girl say to her friend:

"I cannot believe he didn't win the class.. he placed at HOYS last year.."
Then proceeding to have a bitch about the judge.

.... then WHY enter him into a unaffiliated charity event?! :cool:

^^this!

A couple of summers ago I was asked to judge the horse and pony section at a local village show. There were a few "proper" classes like M&M but also family pony and such like.

I gave my champion to a lovely quiet cob who behaved absolutely beautifully for a little dot of a kid (cob was about 15hh). And then got bitched about by the local Welsh Cob breeder because I hadn't given his stallion the championship (it spent most of the time going round on 2 legs trying to sh*g everything in sight............)

For heaven's sake - when you show at the Royal Welsh etc why are you bothered about your local village show? The kid on the cob will probably never go to another show, and it made her day to win a rosette, and the cob certainly lived up to the description of family pony, going in walk, trot and canter for a kid whose legs barely came past the saddle flaps!