What animals would you keep to breed and sell ?

Mary3050

Visit site
Hi guys ,

I know this is not exactly horse related but I am looking for some suggestions. I am looking at purchasing a larger property. I have found a property I like . It has previously been owned by a chicken/duck breeder . Whilst we would keep a few chicken and ducks like around 20 . I would like something for my step daughter and me to do together . Like a project / small business . She has special needs and likes being outside . She is not a fan of birds . There’s a structure on the property very odd to explain they are like small cat runs there are 4 together ? They have a large box off the floor a cat flap and a run down on to grass .

Would really like to do something with my step daughter related to animals maybe something she could breed for pets. But I am unsure what would be good for her she likes most animals except birds . I have had rabbits, guinea pigs, birds , then most farm animals before . Can anyone make any suggestions on what we could use the pens for .

Any advise greatly appreciated will be undertaking significant research before going ahead !

Mary3050

Visit site
Well, you’ll most likely need planning permission first, then a license from your local council before you set anything up.

But anything fluffy sells sadly.
Hiya thanks I believe talking to the agent that it’s listed a small holding on the planning. But we will be applying for the correct licences . Once we decide which animal she will keep . Thanks x

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Hiya thanks I believe talking to the agent that it’s listed a small holding on the planning. But we will be applying for the correct licences . Once we decide which animal she will keep . Thanks x

But if you want to start breeding non ‘stock’ animals (ie small furries) you’ll need to apply (most likely) for a change of use via the Council Planning Department.

Mary3050

Visit site
But if you want to start breeding non ‘stock’ animals (ie small furries) you’ll need to apply (most likely) for a change of use via the Council Planning Department.

Thanks but I’d she wanted to keep rabbits as pets no breeding there would be no need to apply am I right ?

Amun

Visit site
I know it is not exactly the answer to your question but when it comes to breeding pets, I think it is important to realize that sooner or later you will have to deal with the situation that your pet will end up in the wrong hands. More fluffy and cute the bigger the chance that someone will just get it as a birthday/Christmas present with no idea what to do with it. This is the main reason why I wouldn't be able to breed animals. I follow a lot of animal charities/rescues and what I learned is that you never know as a lot of people will lie about their experience/intentions just to get that cute pet.

Redders

Visit site
You wouldn’t need to apply for permission or a licence just for keeping animals as pets, but if you are considering rabbits as pets, please take a look at the RWAF website for info on what the actually need - they are very hard and expensive to keep as pets and need a lot of preventative treatment and checks. Getting them from a rescue will mean they will come ready neutered, bonded and vaccinated and they will give you all the advice you need. That is true for any pets you get, get from a rescue :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site

It would be worth the OP speaking to the planning department but I doubt a change of use would be needed unless the business was substantial in terms of building pens in the garden and attracting a lot of visits from the public and causing a nuisance to the neighbours.

There are plenty of dog breeders running a business from home with substantial numbers of dogs without the need for planning permission despite having numerous sheds and kennels in the back garden. A licence can be granted without planning permission in place as each piece of law does not speak to one another, which is farcical. The new law has caught a huge number of Bengal and Toyger breeders out and pushed them into regulation through the selling of kittens aspect.

emilylou

Visit site
Swedish valais sheep, ornamental chickens or rare breed pigs. If you just have sheds I’d choose pigs. Tamworth’s, saddlebacks and oldspots all sell well as weaners.

tiga71

Visit site
I couldn't breed any animals to sell. I see the rescue side and I couldn't breed animals and know that in all likelihood a good percentage of them would end up either in rescue, on gumtree or in unsuitable homes.

Why not use them as a small scale cattery? No idea about planning permission or anything though.

ETA I say that sitting with a beautiful part Bengal cat that I am fostering for a local rescue. He came to me 2 years ago and is difficult to home as he is so active. He had 6/7 homes by the time he was found on Gumtree by the rescue. He was 10 months old.

honetpot

Visit site
I would go for goats, although they are pests, they are entertaining and do not die like sheep. If you feed hay you do not need a vast amount of land. If you have milking goats, you can sell the milk and goats milk soap is very popular. There is more regulation in keeping them, but if you sell the castrated billys, they are more likely to get committed homes, or they can go for meat.
Somewhere to look for ideas,
https://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php

Visit site
I absolutely agree with those who have already said breeding more is utterly unnecessary.

There's absolutely zero profit in it and more than enough animals in the world already - the kennels/cattery idea however is an excellent one, particularly as Covid has caused many to have to close down, so when things open up again they'll be in demand. By contrast responsible breeding isn't something that ever generates any profit, most breeders lose far more money than they ever make.

windand rain

Visit site
Cats are not as noisy as dogs but are very difficult to keep happy and healthy entire. Small furries are hard to sell from most places as pet shops require commercial licences and Ferrets have a limited market and of course where you have livestock you have dead stock could she cope with that side, Fancy birds are the obvious choice but not good if she doesn;t like them. Bantams and ducks have a good market without too many issues. A very good idea for her but a lot of work for you

blitznbobs

Visit site
Check out valais blacknose sheep. Expensive to buy which means each lamb would probably turn a profit and gorgeous to look at ... and agricultural so no planning permission just need to register herd with DEFRA.

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
I wouldn't write off the idea altogether.

Once you have chosen your animal, I would then research where there is a gap in the market, a particularly rare breed for example. Perhaps one that has concerning low numbers. At least then it isn't just breeding for profit.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
There’s a structure on the property very odd to explain they are like small cat runs there are 4 together ? They have a large box off the floor a cat flap and a run down on to grass .

In my imagination, you've just described chicken roost boxes. Quite a few people around where I live keep hens for the eggs.

You say you daughter is not a fan of birds, though...

Like others have posted already, I don't think that breeding cute and fluffy small animals is a great idea. Could your daughter stand keeping animals for slaughter? Pigs, goats, rabbits? What about making goat's milk cheese?

CMcC

Visit site
I think OP is coming at this from the wrong angle. Most people who breed small animals will have a real love for the breed/species and built up years of knowledge and experience before they breed for sale.
So my question would be what do you know the most about? what do you love? I think setting up to breed goats or sheep with no knowledge or experience is not going to go well.

Mary3050

Visit site
Please don’t breed small furry things. So so many end up in rescues. And doing breeding right is a heck of a lot of work and when done properly, it often doesn’t make any money.
why not turn them into teen houses and she can grow plants to sell?

Thanks properly she won’t be making a lot of money but I would like to show her how she should run a small business . I am not
I wouldn't write off the idea altogether.

Once you have chosen your animal, I would then research where there is a gap in the market, a particularly rare breed for example. Perhaps one that has concerning low numbers. At least then it isn't just breeding for profit.

This is more along the lines of what I was thinking something rare breed , that maybe she can take to a few shows . I really am not bothered about her making any money just want her to see how you run a small business cover you cost etc . There will be a lot of research before we buy anything. Thanks

Mary3050

Visit site
In my imagination, you've just described chicken roost boxes. Quite a few people around where I live keep hens for the eggs.

Like others have posted already, I don't think that breeding cute and fluffy small animals is a great idea. Could your daughter stand keeping animals for slaughter? Pigs, goats, rabbits? What about making goat's milk cheese?

Really like the goat milk idea I love making cheese and think I saw someone making beauty/skin products that maybe my step daughter would enjoy more . Better get researching

Mary3050

Visit site

They had me a bit confused tbh the rest had like the huts and boxes on but these where just a box and run . Loving the goat milk idea I love making cheese !

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
I would go for some sheep. Shetland sheep come in an assortment of colours and there can be wool for crafting. Zwartbles are big and quiet, mine lead around on halters like ponies. Valais blacknose sheep are expensive and not the easiest to keep, if you think Z's have bad feet then VB's take it to a whole new level, they were not bred for a wet climate.

Get something that your daughter likes.

Milk and milk products for sale need a seperate kitchen/dairy and the regulations are a nightmare.

Fastasflames

Visit site
its such a shame that sadly now the way the world is , means that anyone mentioning breeding anything is met with such negativity. Absolutely justified but assuming this lady IS the rare, responsible minority.... Here she is stating clearly she is researching and asking for advice before doing anything. Putting that aside... what a wonderful thing for you and your step-daughter if done properly. My wee one has some pekin bantams. They are adorable, easy to take care of and make wonderful pets. They reward you with lovely eggs, which of course can be 'sold' subject to the right permissions. Last year in lockdown, we bought in some fertile eggs from ebay (we dont have a cockerel) and popped some under one that had gone broody and a couple in an incubator. It was the most wonderful project and by the time they were old enough and ready to sell. We had so many people wanting a couple after seeing photos we were able to choose from people we knew and each young bantam was sold. Wee one kept a book with all the costs, feed etc and then income from selling the pullets and got a little bit to keep over in her bank account. No grand scale breeding project but something wonderful to share. There (once restrictions lift) are even shows she could take her birds to :)