What are people paying for DIY?

Celtic1998

Visit site
We've had out livery out up several times now our yard has year round turnout and a decent size floodlit outdoor arena with ok sized boxes depending on which part you are stabled on then they charge extra for things like rug changes turnout ect and we have some good off-road hacking what are people paying per week for these types of services seems we are on the most expensive yard in our area!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
£35 a week, have to buy hay/straw from the YO. We're in Herts/Middlesex border and this appears typical for the area.

R.F.S

Visit site
I live in the north east, for diy livery with ad lib haylage and straw, a stable and 24/7 turnout in the summer and turnout through the day in the winter (not restricted in hours just as long as in by 6pm) and a school I pay £35 per week for one horse. Then for the Yo to put nets in, feed, changed rugs, turnout or bring in it is £5 per day extra so can basically mix and match between full and diy week to week full is £70 per week. We have reasonable hacking and good grazing yo husband does land management for a living so fields are top notch. Most liverys in our area are from 35-45 for DIY with ad lib haylage and straw and turnout, they vary in quality and allowance of turnout as well as hacking however all have an outdoor floodlit school. :)

Ali27

Visit site
We've had out livery out up several times now our yard has year round turnout and a decent size floodlit outdoor arena with ok sized boxes depending on which part you are stabled on then they charge extra for things like rug changes turnout ect and we have some good off-road hacking what are people paying per week for these types of services seems we are on the most expensive yard in our area!
I'm in Staffs. Our yard was brand new just over two years ago. We have access to gallops, good local hacking and a floodlit arena. We have daily turn out all winter and in Spring to Autumn, they all go out 24/7. We initially paid £25 per week but I felt it was too cheap so owners did put it up to £26 per week but we did have a few people moan and leave. However we have new liveries who agree that £26 is very cheap for what we have.

skint1

Visit site
Wiltshire,
£130 per month includes haylage and straw in the winter months, can be bought from farmer at other times.
Great hacking, mediocre school.
All year turn out available, live out in the summer months, in at night in the winter
I love it there

AnyChance

Visit site
£33 per week includes:
Field where you can turn out 24/7 if you want in summer and daily turnout in winter
12x12 stables
excellent hacking
20x40 arena
you have to buy shavings/hay/haylage/straw from the yard but most places seem to do that these days
services available if needed
toilet is decent and also area for tea/coffee
muck heap is easy to get to no pushing your wheelie up a big manure hill

Moomin1

Visit site
£95 pcm, including 40x60 floodlit school with jumps, jump field, xc course (not that I make use of that lol) and 24/7 turn out all summer. Trailer parking inc. No services included in that but every field has automatic drinkers and all ragwort picking and poo picking/fence sorting is done by the YO.

Oh, I also have my own tack room, feed/hay barn and am on a separate yard from everyone else (but I was just jammy, everyone else shares tack room etc).

LittleGinger

Visit site
The last yard I was on was £85/month for 24/7 grass turnout (we had four horses in 2 acres, which was difficult) or £110/month with a stable. Grass school (no lights) and reasonable off-road/quiet road hacking. Free lorry parking. Option to buy hay/straw from the yard, but not a requirement. No tackroom/toilets/field shelters etc. and each person was responsible for their own field so poo picking, ragworting etc. was done 'on a rota' of those in the field. This worked better in some fields than others.

For what you have, I would probably have paid up to around £180 a month (in winter, so including 5 day turnout and rug changes etc. ) with less in summer as no need for rug changes etc. - to me, a decent outdoor school and not having to do the early mornings in the rain would be very valuable (hence why I am now on full livery!).

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
46 pw inc dee pooing and all year turnout good facilities

JudyS

Visit site
I pay £140 pcm in Oxfordshire for stable (but can have 24/7 turn out all year round), small indoor school, jumping paddock in the Summer and the main selling point, fantastic hacking. All hay/straw has to be bought from the yard and rug changes and bringing in and turning out are extra as is trailer parking. I thought this was quite a bit but maybe I was just spoiled in years gone past!

Jim bob

Visit site
I have been on a few good yards;
Previous yard I paid £142 per month for:
Large stable and own bay for feed
Own space in very secure tackroom
Two floodlight schools
2 individual field, so could turn out every day of the yard if you wish
Services if needed
Decent tea and coffee area with coal fire!
Private hacking and miles of decent off road hacking
SJ, XC and dressage course, arena

Now I pay £30 per week for
Group turnout
Large stables
large feed bay
Good size storage space for hay
Okay hacking

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Does it really matter what other people pay? Prices can vary so wildly even within a few miles of each other, as can facilities and availability of other yards. Either the yard is too expensive for you, in which case you need to find another; or you can't find another in the same area with the same facilities, in which case you need to pay whatever they charge.

We pay £176/pcm for DIY. We get AYTO with 24/7 in the summer, a lovely large floodlit school, a horse-walker and amazing hacking. There are improvements that could be made, but it is by far the best yard in the area, and unless/until I can afford my own place, I'm happy to pay for it.

Nativelover

Visit site
I'm in Staffs. Our yard was brand new just over two years ago. We have access to gallops, good local hacking and a floodlit arena. We have daily turn out all winter and in Spring to Autumn, they all go out 24/7. We initially paid £25 per week but I felt it was too cheap so owners did put it up to £26 per week but we did have a few people moan and leave. However we have new liveries who agree that £26 is very cheap for what we have.

People quibbled over £1 for all of that????? I'd chew my right arm off for that!!! Around me I reckon you'd pay about £50pw DIY !!
Grazing around me is severely restricted with majority of yards closing fields from September to end of May even when there is turnout its restricted to 3 hrs per day !!!
Prices are £25-£45 for DIY most yards have schools of varying quality, usually buy your own bedding/hay

Zipzop

Visit site
Mine is private yard t/o, stable grazing ménage floodlight, turn out and bring in if I'm not there and skip out if they do bring in, any rugs put on or off put to bed if needed with pm feed given all for £40 a week, I think I'm very spoilt!

Bav

Visit site
Wow, I'm certainly not going to moan about the price anymore!!
£108pcm including breakfast and hay given. Area for storing own hay and shavings but hay and bedding available from YO, trailer parking, floodlit outdoor school although it can get boggy in the winter, new lunge pen, not 24/7 turnout though and is restricted in winter (this is slap bang in the heart of Northampton and almost all yards nearby had no turnout at all last year) very good hacking considering location. Good toilet, tea room and 'club house' and secure tackroom.
Could do with a lick of paint and sprucing up and it's a mixed herd turnout, but there's no bitchiness and it's just a genuinely lovely place to be. :)
Can also have turnout, full livery etc but that's all extra.

Dizzle

Visit site
£160 a month for DIY, including hay and straw (but I don't use straw), 24/7 turnout, good hacking, flood lit school, secure tackroom, washdown area with hot horse shower.

After being on full livery for a year DIY seems like a massive bargain! :D

kc100

Visit site
I'm near Solihull (West Mids/Warwickshire borders) and pay £39 per week for DIY - that is him brought in AM and fed. I do everything else - turn out PM, have to buy straw, hay, feed etc. He is turned out overnight, grazing is excellent and they can be in or out as much as you like. Yard has a giant floodlit outdoor school (probably about 60 x 80!), horsewalker, stables are all big and american barn style so indoors. Hot wash facilities and a big wash box area, lorry parking, lots of showjumps and fillers, lots of visiting trainers across all disciplines with clinic type things, secure tackroom etc.

pansymouse

Visit site
In in Wiltshire and pay £15 per week for grass livery plus £10 for a stable and my friend and I rent a second stable between us for storage so another £5 making £30 per week all together. We don't have any facilities but do have ample grazing and access to Salisbuiry Plain without going on the road. We love it.

asmp

Visit site
Hampshire. Pay £55 a month for use of a large stable plus large individual fields. Out 24 hrs in summer. No school though.

Miss Melon

New User
Visit site
I'm in Bucks, pay £145 per month for DIY livery. We have an outdoor arena with lights and a nice big indoor with lights. Good hacking though roughly 5 minutes roadwork on quiet roads (woodland and field options available)

Lorry/trailer parking free. plenty of turnout and we rotate fields every so often, poo cleared by staff with one of those big poo hoover things haha

Services available at extra cost.

Last edited:

Araboo27

Visit site
North West
£20 p/w stable
Hay & shavings must be bought off YO but they're reasonable at £70 for hay (large bale) and £7 for shavings, straw is £40

Totally DIY although a lady on the yard will turn out/bring in for £1 each way or do a days 'full livery/holiday cover' for £5
Two large outdoors, although the nice(!) one is extra...I think it's £15 for an hour?
Access to loads of hacking/gallops
All year turnout but must be stables at night
Own tack room which is a huge bonus :)
Monthly RC shows
Space for box/trailer to be kept
Very child friendly which suits me perfectly, might not be everyone's cup of tea though ;)

Celtic1998

Visit site
Not complaining it's a lovely yard I have been at for years but being at a yard and having it put up several times with no visible improvements is tight I am paying more than most people on here and we are only managing at the moment due to my other horse being put to sleep so we'd have probably moved if that didn't unfortunately happen :( and i wouldn't want to move as I love it!

Last edited:

Lynn11

Visit site
I live in Darlington and keep my horse near Northallerton and pay £45 per week which includes them putting in the hay and feed on a morning and unlimited bedding and hay. All year turnout, Large indoor, large outdoor, full course of showjumpings, Some indoor cross country jumps, horsewalker, large beds, great hacking. I love it. All fields are sperated too so my horse is only in with two others. We also have the hunt kennels down the road which is a big bonus.

They also will do any extras as in turn out etc and ive never been charged for it.

Last edited:

Celtic1998

Visit site
I live in Darlington and keep my horse near Northallerton and pay £45 per week which includes them putting in the hay and feed on a morning and unlimited bedding and hay. All year turnout, Large indoor, large outdoor, full course of showjumpings, Some indoor cross country jumps, horsewalker, large beds, great hacking. I love it. All fields are sperated too so my horse is only in with two others. We also have the hunt kennels down the road which is a big bonus.

They also will do any extras as in turn out etc and ive never been charged for it.

Funnily enough northallerton and bishop are two yards that have caught my eye competitions on site don't always bother me as I have no trailer!

R.F.S

Visit site
North West
£20 p/w stable
Hay & shavings must be bought off YO but they're reasonable at £70 for hay (large bale) and £7 for shavings, straw is £40

Totally DIY although a lady on the yard will turn out/bring in for £1 each way or do a days 'full livery/holiday cover' for £5
Two large outdoors, although the nice(!) one is extra...I think it's £15 for an hour?
Access to loads of hacking/gallops
All year turnout but must be stables at night
Own tack room which is a huge bonus :)
Monthly RC shows
Space for box/trailer to be kept
Very child friendly which suits me perfectly, might not be everyone's cup of tea though ;)

Wow your hay and straw is expensive we paid (6 months ago ) £15 per large round bale of straw and £28 per large round bale of Haylege or £30 for a large round bale of hay. I feel quite lucky now as I'm adlib at my livery yard but still fortunate for the previous prices.

ktj1891

Visit site
I pay £150 a month for livery only. I have to buy in hay/bedding myself. Most expensive yard I have been at. Wiltshire.

daisy123

Visit site
£18pw D.I.Y own paddock, stable, tack area/storage but no school. However we have a nice grass bit at front of farm house we can school on and a little paddock around back. hay/straw separate in winter. Allowed to stay out 24/7 summer and stay out dry nights in winter. We have no toilet but we do have a kettle :)

tashcat

Visit site
I pay 150 pounds per month which includes good facilities, all day turnout throughout the year, with the option of 24/7 turnout in the summer (which only my boy and another livery are optimising at the moment).

Hay/ haylage, and bedding comes at an additional cost. However the YO does help me out in the darker months and either turns out or brings in once a day at no extra charge.

Should mention I'm in Hampshire and for a public livery yard this seems to be a good rate in my area.