What are the ages mares should breed?

xxJessxx

Visit site
sorry if this is a random question but I couldn't really find the answer anywhere. What is the minimum and maximum age a horse should breed at and what is the best age to breed a mare at?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Many mare will have a successful pregnancy in to late teens / early twenties.

My mare is in foal for the first time at 17.

A lot depends on the condition of their womb. Unlike us, horses don't shed the lining of their womb every month - so naturally the condition of the womb deteriates over time.

pixie

Visit site
The maximum age also depends on her condition and whether or not she's a maiden.
Personally I wouldn't breed from a maiden older than 15, but a lot of broodmares just carry on breeding until they won't take anymore.

Minimum age, I'd say 4/5. You want to make sure she's pretty well developed structurally before you can even think about breeding from her. Also you want to see what kind of conformation, temperament she has, and also showing/ridden ability; all of which could be passed on to the foal. There's no point in breeding from an animal with a horrible temperament/shocking conformation/etc

BuckingHorse

Visit site
My retired mare had her first foal this year aged 18, mare and foal both look fantastic!
Other horse had her first foal at 4 before she was broken in, now 9 and has had on and off sacro illiac issues, not sure if this is related to having a foal then being worked. Worse if not fit.