What are 'the basics' in your opinion?

Arizahn

Visit site
How to correctly stock and use a first aid kit for their horse, and when to call in a professional instead or as well.

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
Those people who don't get a farrier until it's shoes are falling off or already off. Or they are tripping over their toes because they haven't been seen in 16-20weeks. Grrr! And on that subject, anyone who leaves a small issue until it is a massive problem! Eg a horse showing signs of teeth problems, but they wait while its behaviour has gotten so 'terrible' (5 months later) to get a dentist to do something about it. Same with cuts they leave until it's infected before they treat!

Tobiano

Visit site
Goodness…. this is a really good question.

I owned my first horse when I was 43 and I had (and still have) a lot to learn…. but as a child I read every horse book I could get my hands on, including Veterinary Notes for Horse Owners, cover to cover, and I spent 5 years, every weekend and holidays helping out at the local riding school under the eagle eye of the proprietor. I think I got MOST of the basics through that. Not all though!

FlaxenPony05

Visit site
Everyone should know the basics of how horses learn, because we are teaching them - for better or worse - every moment we are with them. This is fundamental stuff, yet gaps in knowledge can been seen amongst otherwise quite competent and experienced horse people. For example, it amazes me that some people still believe that punishing a horse a long time (i.e. more than 10 seconds) after the offending behaviour is going to be effective. Or that horses can apparently understand English. Or that they are mentally capable of deliberately showing up a rider/handler or "taking the p*ss".

This. Always this. That bucking is not her 'attitude problem', it's her trying to tell you something that you've consistently ignored for however long.

ozpoz

Visit site
We read and re read instruction books,I think many have been mentioned already but one of my all time favourites was, and is Henry Wynmalens Equitation. Just timeless kindly horsemanship.
Now we read brief articles and most of them are subtly selling branded products.

Brummyrat

Visit site
This isn't really "the basics" but I'll add my bugbear, similar to posters above, why do people think its acceptable to drag a clipped horse out on a sharp winter morning, tie up, strip off rugs then leave it for an hour while they fanny about on the yard before tacking up. I think "the basics" should start with "have some common sense". Jesus :-(

...and breathe!

armchair_rider

Visit site
This isn't really "the basics" but I'll add my bugbear, similar to posters above, why do people think its acceptable to drag a clipped horse out on a sharp winter morning, tie up, strip off rugs then leave it for an hour while they fanny about on the yard before tacking up. I think "the basics" should start with "have some common sense". Jesus :-(

...and breathe!

I reckon this is the best answer so far. On which basis I would go with: use your common sense, show consideration for your horse and understand that horses are not like humans

Tnavas

Visit site
A person should know
How to groom properly and confidently
How to tack up correctly and fit a bridle.
Know the 'Rules of Feeding'
Understand the principles of feeding and exercising
Know when a horse has been correctly shod/trimmed and be able to recognise when the horse needs shoeing or trimming
Understand about worming, when and with what.

Tnavas

Visit site
Goodness…. this is a really good question.

I owned my first horse when I was 43 and I had (and still have) a lot to learn…. but as a child I read every horse book I could get my hands on, including Veterinary Notes for Horse Owners, cover to cover, and I spent 5 years, every weekend and holidays helping out at the local riding school under the eagle eye of the proprietor. I think I got MOST of the basics through that. Not all though!

OMG - when I read 'Veterinary Notes for Horse Owners' my imagination ran riot and I thought my horse had everything under the sun. Still use it to this day - the older version has more information in some things than others.

fathorselover

Visit site
Knowing the difference between hay and straw would be a start! that would be aimed at a fellow livery who filled their haynet with straw the other week, they've only had the horse a year, sigh.... same liveries who drag horses in and take them on a 10+ mile fun ride having not ridden for 6 weeks, poor horses but owners won't be told

muckypony

Visit site

...and breathe!

Not forgetting the fact that the horse has been fully clipped to be ridden in walk, once a week if that!

cornwallexracers

Visit site
Understanding that yes, horses do need water everyday. New livery actually said this yesterday after I had filled up said horses trough in the field because it had nothing to drink at all and gently reminded her it needs to be checked to make sure he has water! You can imagine what the rest of her horse keeping skills are like......

micki

Visit site
Knowing some stable management and knowing what is a healthy horse and signs of illness. It really bugs me when peope ask what a lump is on their horse's legs, learn the points of the horse would be good so you don't worry about nothing.
Also peope who think that they can leave their horse for a day or 2 without going to see to it, if you don't have time to keep on diy then use full/part livey it is what it is there for or don't have one! The commitment i time and money is huge and if you aren't willing to commit then don't have one, again.
There is loads more that really annoys me but i will leave it at that.

oldie48

Visit site
My sister in law gave me a copy of this and Susan McBane's book, called, I think, Your first Horse. I think she thought it would put me off but both would make good compulsory reading for anyone thinking of buying a first horse or pony!
OMG - when I read 'Veterinary Notes for Horse Owners' my imagination ran riot and I thought my horse had everything under the sun. Still use it to this day - the older version has more information in some things than others.

dibbin

Visit site
Mainly, people need to be prepared for the massive time and financial costs involved. I've seen too many horses going without basic care because their owners weren't prepared to spend the time or the money that was needed to look after the animals.

Knowledge can be gained, the right attitude (in my experience) can't.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
A friend and I were only talking about this earlier this week - a fellow livery has a very lax attitude to her ponies...turning out in winter 24/7 with no hay or feed or visits for four days cos she was fed up and tired (we have to be in at night in winter) through to leaving ponies in without hay until after 12 noon recently...and when came up to turn out said she d been farm shopping and having breakfast all morning with members of her family. My friend then said there are horsey people - who put their commitments first and people who just own horses...

Ladyinred

Visit site
We read and re read instruction books,I think many have been mentioned already but one of my all time favourites was, and is Henry Wynmalens Equitation. Just timeless kindly horsemanship.
Now we read brief articles and most of them are subtly selling branded products.

That's a great book, wish I still had my copy.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The very rigid training in the basics that was popular when I was starting out is often ridiculed and much of it is unfashionable now .
Of course science is in a different place now and things have moved on but the basics instilled in me have stood me in good stead .
My first horsey book was a little yellow pony club one , keeping a pony a grass , I still have it some where but I knew it by heart .
My parents used it when we first got a pony .
The riding school where I started where always there to mentor me those type of traditional riding schools are a huge huge loss .
Many adults mentored me and developed me in the village I grew up in many of these had experience of horses from the army and from the very end of horses working on farms and such like they had a depth of knowledge on how to use quietly to get horses to do what they needed to do no fuss no botheration just calm confident repetition .
I think I was lucky it not easy now to get that sort of start if you had non horsey parents .

Sis and I often say how lucky we were to go to a good RS where the owners were members of the local hunt, BSPS judge and PC instructor and then to meet, through RDA, more members of the same hunt who also were PC instructors and, as you say GS, members of an old farming family who had worked horses on the farm. We were actually taught to ride by and then got more experience through working with the same people who taught some very well-known international riders and members of British teams. We didn't realise when we were children just how lucky we were.
Our 'bible' was written by Captain E Hartley Edwards, Dad perused it for hours before we got our first horse. As you say the science has moved on since then but actually a lot of what we were taught was based on knowledge of what worked - compare the currently fashionable high fibre diet and the 'straights' that we used to feed - actually very similar. Where it all went wrong, imo was the addition of molasses to everything and the marketing of convenience foods for horses.

It has been really interesting to read every-one's opinions, which weren't as varied as I thought they might be, nor as specific.

I think Kat summed it up perfectly when she wrote:

That nobody ever knows everything about horses and you never stop learning. The day you stop learning is the day you should give up horses.

Something that every-one should remember.

Ponycarrots

Visit site
Feeding yes is a must! But also be sure you can handle your horse, that he's right for the job and that you know how to deal with his problems

RainbowDash

Visit site
I started to write an essay - but deleted it.

In a nutshell - as others have said - you are always learning. Never assume you know it all.

And above all - if you can feel but not see your heavy cob's ribs after winter he is not underweight or in the need of feeding up {head desk} :(

NZJenny

Visit site
That books written for the UK, USA or Europe are generally not applicable to conditons in other parts of the world.

You will be broke - if you want an overseas holiday every year, buy a budgie.

Yes, every day.

.... and I could go on ......

..... and on .....

Burmilla

Visit site
I could write a book about it, but if I can only pick one.........

Lack of thought and feeling about the animal that is meant to be in your care. This is shown though lack of understanding of tack, often ill fitting or over used, strapping young horses mouths shut rather then allowing them time to settle and learn to seek the contact. Leaving horses in stables to all hours without foo, like my livery who feels that 1.20 in the afternoon is a good time to turn out because she doesn't want to get up on a Sunday....grrrrrrrr
I completely agree with you,SS2 - my special rants re young horses being strapped shut, and horses not turned out for hours, with nothing to eat . . . No way could I be an owner/manager/groom for a livery yard. Good upbringing - pity about the temper.

Clare85

Visit site
The most basic thing for me would be for people to acknowledge that no matter how long you have owned horses for, you will never ever know everything. The beauty of horse ownership is that it's a constant learning process. It drives me mad when people think there's a magic number of lessons you can have and then not need a lesson ever again.

And I would also say that if you don't know something or are not confident with something, ASK FOR HELP!! As per Black Beauty, ignorance is next to wickedness, and in this modern world full of information accessible at our fingertips, there is no excuse.

BobbyMondeo

Visit site
I think the basic thing that everyone needs to know is how to accurately assess their own capabilities.

It is fine to be a novice and own a horse but its not fine to keep said horse on a diy yard with no help. Go to livery yard where you can help advice and where you can learn.

I know so many people that really dont have a clue but just carry on and wonder why horse is grumpy, bargy, nappy, refusing jumps ect and it drive me bonkers!! Really wish people could admit when they dont know something

fburton

Visit site
Yes, I do think every new horse owner should have a 'mentor' - someone with experience and knowledge and who is at hand to help and advise as necessary, and is never more than a phone call away. Alternatively, prospective owners can serve an informal apprenticeship where they have to look after horses and learn the ropes in a safe and supervised environment. Embarking on horse ownership with no outside support or prior practical experience is a recipe for trouble.

SO1

Visit site
I think the mentor idea is a really good one and I think even very knowledgeable people can benefit from having someone to talk things through with especially as technology advances or people have different areas of expertise.

However the mentor probably would need to be someone who was on the same yard or someone who would be able to come to the yard easily so that they can look at the horse if need be.

Yes, I do think every new horse owner should have a 'mentor' - someone with experience and knowledge and who is at hand to help and advise as necessary, and is never more than a phone call away. Alternatively, prospective owners can serve an informal apprenticeship where they have to look after horses and learn the ropes in a safe and supervised environment. Embarking on horse ownership with no outside support or prior practical experience is a recipe for trouble.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Yes, I do think every new horse owner should have a 'mentor' - someone with experience and knowledge and who is at hand to help and advise as necessary, and is never more than a phone call away.

Isn't that what we used to call 'a more experienced friend'?

Actually, imo people need to take responsibility for their own actions. Why on earth do some people with very, very little experience decide to buy a horse? Anybody with any gumption should realise that they need some experience to be able to look after a large animal successfully. Just because they can it doesn't mean that they should.