What are the odds of selling a horse to a loving long term home?

Annagain

Visit site
Ponies are more tricky as kids outgrow them but I think even if you do sell there are things you can do in terms of vetting the home, the way you advertise them etc. My best friend had to sell her kids' pony. He was a fairly standard pony club pony jumping about 70-75 but took his confidence from his rider so wasn't an ideal pony. We also felt he wasn't fulfilling his potential as he had quite a pop in him but his rider was quite nervous and didn't want to go higher. We found him as I knew his previous owner whose daughter had outgrown him and she was thrilled he was going to a home where she could keep in touch.

We advertised him and the people coming to see him were all wrong so we removed all his ads and started responding to wanted ads and using word of mouth as much as possible instead. Luckily, as I'm involved in my riding club and do a fair bit in the BRC area too, I know quite a few horsey people and one of them is friendly with a BS and Pony Club trainer. My friend mentioned him to her, we sent her some videos, she could see his potential and understood what we said about him needing the right rider.

Long story short, he's now in a fab BS home flying 1m20 courses (he's just 13hh - scraped into 128 classes) with his next 4 loan homes mapped out before he goes back to his owners for their younger child (who is only 4 at the moment!) which will take him up to about 20 yrs old. We knew as soon as we met them they were the right ones just as we knew the others were wrong. He was a bit of a gamble for them but we had seen enough of the trainer to know that if he didn't make it, she had plenty of contacts and know how to find the right home - probably more than we did. We'd have waited much longer to find the right home if we'd had to, though.

alexomahony

Visit site
I believe this is what happened with Sky - he was the 14.2... the pass over pony for kids moving from ponies to horses in SJ'ing circles.

Used for his talent and then passed on... I'm not sure he saw much love whilst all that was going on.

I think there's a real space in showing and BS for adults on ponies - I'd LOVE to do workers with Sky, but sadly because he isn't a registered connie we can't do M&M, and I'm too old for his height.

He's with me for life, with Maldwyn and we are a family - and I think it sadly took him a fair few years to realise that he will always 'come home' when we go places.

The outgrown thing really bugs me - I'm 5'9 and happily ride a 14.2 and 15hh'er.... you don't really 'outgrow' a 14.2 irish pony!

I'm SO glad we didn't have the money to buy ponies when I was a child as I'd hate to sell on. We part loaned until I was old enough to buy my own, and I bought a 15 hand welsh cob haha

They'll only be for sale if it's in their best interests and I financially couldn't keep them any longer, and luckily I think I have friends who love them as much as I do that they'd probably stay local!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
The twins' LR/FR was sold 10 years ago and is still there and adored. Another outgrown saint weny to a small adult and has a home for life. Jenny went to an adoring 12 year old, hopefully for many years but there will always be a market for ponies like her. Other were less successful sadly and were sold on again and I've lost touch. Whenever I sell a pony I put my phone number and other contact details in the back of the passport saying 'if this pony ever needs a home...' not so I'll buy back useful young ponies but so if they ever end up old and unwanted they can come back then.

scruffyponies

Visit site
The only pony I ever sold on went to a driving home, which kept him up to his retirement (aged 30!) when he went to the Horse's Trust.

That particular boy was dangerous under saddle so his options were limited, but I do think they stand a better chance of a forever home driven, rather than as a child's pony. I break all of them to drive for that reason.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
I'm lucky I've got 4 kids. We've got a 13yo 12hh mare who will hopefully last my eldest child a good 3 even 4 years (im talking hacking, and general messing round the farm) but by the time my youngest outgrows her she'll be in her twenties (the pony, not the child!)

But this pony is as much a pet for me as a riding pony, and we've got our own land, so I'd be happy to keep her as a field ornament anyway, even if all the kids lose interest. The days no one wants to ride, I happily take her for a walk by myself (and I kinda prefer it that way!)

This has kind of always been the way in our family (sometimes bored ponies have gone out on loan to family friends). So home for life families DO exist even for little ponies, but it relies on quite a few factors:
probably own land or access to cheap grazing,
probably a few siblings waiting in the wings,
a child who's not looking to work their way through the ranks competitively,
and mostly a parent who loves having a pony even if the kids outgrow/lose interest.

stormox

Visit site
I see nothing wrong with selling horses. I also understand when you sell them you lose control of them completely. Although obviously you do your best for them no one can guarantee they'l keep a horse forever.
My reasons for selling in the past have been 'grew too tall' (16hh 3 yr old 17.2 at 5) 'too slow' 'too quiet' 'started manic cribbing ' and several Ive took to prelim dressage and jumping 90 which is far as I can go with no facilities and I felt they needed a better rider/place to progress.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
Ps I've just realised my comment might sound a bit judgey. I'm not saying you should only take on a pony if you happen to one of those rare people who are able to offer it a home for life! This pony has had 5 homes I know of in her 13 years, and as far as I can tell she was very well cared for in each of those homes.

Chianti

Visit site
My pony is 13 hands. I started riding him in a riding school and when that closed I took him on loan. I then wanted to move him so bought him. Part of me didn't want to do this as I'm 'mature' and he's only an early teenager. I couldn't bear the thought of him being sold to someone else and then me seeing him on Facebook for sale every two years when he'd been outgrown, until he was eventually advertised as an elderly companion that the final owner was trying to get rid of. I'm not well off but I keep my equines. My last one had a ten year retirement even though I never really owned her. She was on loan and when she went lame I couldn't bear to give her back. I appreciate that because I don't have a family I can do this and others can't.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
I can’t sell mine. She can be tricky under saddle. Not suitable for a child as too reactive. I’m too fat now to ride her but she was never that bothered about ridden anyway. I think she’s content in her paddock with twice daily attention.?

Mari

Visit site
It is possible, and I know this because I’m one of those homes. While I have no issue with other people selling on, it simply doesn’t sit right on my conscience, so all of mine stay with me no matter what.

My first mare I had for almost five years, before losing her to a broken leg aged 19. Before me, she’d raced, then gone to a show jumping home for around a year, before the lady who eventually gifted her to me purchased her aged four. She had her for 11 years, until serious arthritis intervened, at which point she loaned her and then eventually gave her to me, so Alice effectively lucked out twice over.

Pony number two was Sixpence, who we took on loan for my younger sister when he was 17. He never went back, was also eventually gifted to me, and is still here at 27.

Number three was Tudor. He was rescued aged two, after serious neglect and abuse, and kept by his rescuer for the next four years. I took him on at six and despite him retiring at seven, he stayed with me for the next five years, until we finally lost the battle against his numerous health issues in January.

Number four was Mary. She was taken on by a dealer aged four and unhandled, bought by a lovely lady who wanted a project to sell on, and then purchased by me around six weeks later. She’s still here almost four years down the line, despite an unexpected foal along the way ?

Number five is said foal, who was always going to end up staying too!

None of them will ever be passed on, and I’m sure I’m not the only one with this attitude. Am I in the majority? Probably not. But if you’re selling on yourself, I think you have to recognise that other people are only doing what you’ve done before. That’s not in any way intended as a criticism, just simple fact ??‍♀️
I too am one of those forever homes. I think if people have their own place with land & stables (like me) there is more chance of the horse getting a forever home.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I've sold all my previous horses on and I don't have any regrets.

Sometimes it's in the horses interest. My second horse didn't enjoy what I enjoyed (showjumping), he went on to a fun hacking home which was far more suitable.

I say while they're with me they'll want for nothing and if they move on, I'll do everything to ensure its the right home. I couldn't possibly think I was the best home for every horse.

I have got a bit softer these days and far less competitive. I'd more likely loan them out than sell now, definitely my exracer who's sharp and sensitive. She'd easily get in to the wrong hands.

Having said that they have a home for life if they need it. I actually think that's a better offer.

Maryann

Visit site
What are the odds of selling a horse to a long term loving home?
I don't mean to be flippant but they are probably not that good as those sort of people don't buy horses very often.

Reactions: JJS

JoannaC

Visit site
I think good homes, on the whole, outweigh the bad ones. I sold my Section A to a lead rein home even though my gut feeling was he would have been better off with an older child and this was the case but he was beautifully looked after. Luckily they were lovely people and agreed to sell him back to me. Once i'd run out of children at the yard he went out on loan to a pony club family for their young son with two smaller children waiting in the wings so after a year or so I sold him to them for a nominal sum thinking he would have a home for life. They had him several years and then sold him on to another good home who again sold him once outgrown. I've spoken to the people that have him now and he is about 25 so will see out his day with them so although he has moved around he hasn't had a bad home since I sold him and i'm sure it has been better for him being worked than sat in a field. I would love to have him back now he's retired but don't think it would be fair at his age and I doubt they'd want to let him go.

JoannaC

Visit site
Meant to also say homes for life do exist as I bought my mare from her breeder and she will stay with me forever, my gelding I bought at 15 having gone from pillar to post all his life and he is now 25 and will be with my until the end. I would like to think my 8 year old will also be with me forever but I can't guarantee that as who knows what will happen but it is certainly my intention at the moment.

Rosiebelle

Visit site
I am looking to buy my next horse and can hand on heart say I would keep a horse for a life time I have my own yard at home. I am taking lots of time viewing and looking at horses so I can be as sure as I can I will have a horse that will be happy with me. Although wasn't much to view before lock down in my part of the UK West Cornwall and was going to have to start looking further up the UK. Anyone got a nice horse for hacking mare or gelding let me know five star home awaits.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
If you sold a horse to me I'd keep it forever. I couldn't sell them. I'm be too worried about where they'd end up
I'm not picking on you, alot of people have this opinion, you were just the most recent to say it :)
Anyway what if you weren't suited to a horse you purchased and you felt there was a more suitable home?
Over the years on livery yards, I've known a lot of people say this well keeping a totally unsuitable horse....it would be in the horses best interest to be sold but I think that takes a lot of guts. So instead a novice who has overhorsed themselves keeps a pet they are scared of.
I think it's a crazy idea to assume only I can care for a horse well.

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
I'm one of those small adults who keeps ponies forever. But I didn't get mine til I was 18 so was never going to outgrow her! She was 4 and had been in 3 homes by then.
But Rog could have been a case in point. Friend got him at 4 (he'd come from a driving home for her to back him and persuaded the owner to sell) too much for her small daughter, so put out on loan for a year. Then a great pc pony then out on loan to 2 different homes, then came to me at 17. Still here, aged 31. Very, very lucky to have him.
But I do understand people needing to sell on. Sometimes you just don't have the right one.

honetpot

Visit site
I think good homes, on the whole, outweigh the bad ones. I sold my Section A to a lead rein home even though my gut feeling was he would have been better off with an older child and this was the case but he was beautifully looked after. Luckily they were lovely people and agreed to sell him back to me. Once i'd run out of children at the yard he went out on loan to a pony club family for their young son with two smaller children waiting in the wings so after a year or so I sold him to them for a nominal sum thinking he would have a home for life. They had him several years and then sold him on to another good home who again sold him once outgrown. I've spoken to the people that have him now and he is about 25 so will see out his day with them so although he has moved around he hasn't had a bad home since I sold him and i'm sure it has been better for him being worked than sat in a field. I would love to have him back now he's retired but don't think it would be fair at his age and I doubt they'd want to let him go.
I think good ponies tend to find good homes, its the slightly quirky, if only pony that gets moved on a lot. One of our bigger ponies only had four owners all his life, I bought him from a friend, and she bought him through a friend. We loaned him out once he was outgrown, but he went with a list of do's and don'ts in the contract or else he would mow you over,literally.
The old pony I bought back has been shown, over fed then starved, had low grade lami, and has a now a low tolerance of people, and definately developed a side since I owned him as a three year old. He can do, but sometimes he decides he would rather not, and dump the rider.