What are these plants...

spookypony

Visit site
...and how poisonous are they? :confused:

These pictures are of various plants that are either in a hedge bordering my lawn and separating the area that I propose to use as hard standing from the rest of the lawn, or among the trees at the bottom of the lawn. I'm not too great with plants, especially British ones, and would like to ID them! Any help much appreciated! :)

This one, I suspect of being a rhododendron?
plants1.jpg

plants2.jpg

plants3.jpg

Another rhododendron?
plants4.jpg

Yet more rhododendron?
plants5.jpg

This thing is a tree, which is not hugely tall.
plants6.jpg

Same tree.
plants7.jpg

Another tree-y thing, a bit smaller than the last one. This one appears to have dropped a lot of leaves, though the ones on the ground are still green.
plants8.jpg

Same tree-y thing.
plants9.jpg

cambrica

Visit site
You have Rhodendrons, Laurel, Cotoneaster and a Holly tree by the looks of things. The Holly sometimes doesn't have spiky leaves towards the top ao they are sometimes not recognisable as a prickly holly. The Cotoneaster is the one with the red berries.

Ladyinred

Visit site
Tree thing is a spindly laurel.. very poisonous.

The others are mainly rhododendrons. Agree with cotoneaster but not sure what the lower tree is.

spookypony

Visit site
Thanks all! :)

I'm assuming the Laurel is the last one? Is laurel identical with bay, or just related? Is it poisonous?

I suspected the shiny-leaf tree might be Holly, though those non-spiky leaves are nearer the bottom than the top. I know that one is really poisonous.

I gather rhododendrons are poisonous. How poisonous are they? Will sensible ponies avoid them? I'm guessing I should cut these down, which is a shame...

The red berries one, the Cotoneaster...how bad is that one? It looks like it should be poisonous!

indie999

Visit site
some of it looks like laurel

Most of it is evergreen so will be poisonous unfortunately. I agree laurel in one ,mock orange? like a holly type, the red berry is I think Alder? I suppose if you can cut the lower branches off the tree it could stay?

Someone with green fingers will no doubt be along soon.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Second and third pics are cotoneaster.

Picture four is laurel.

I'm tempted to say the tree-y thing is holly but I'd like to see some evidence of prickles there and am unconvinced.

Others? not sure they rhodos but if they are I'm jealous:D

cambrica

Visit site
Following my other reply ( sorry eating my dinner!) Im pretty sure that I have identified them correctly and I have studied Horticulture ( have my RHS) its my living. If so all of the above are toxic to horses. Back to my dinner !

spookypony

Visit site
OK, thanks! Cambrica, is it the second plant that's the holly, and the fourth the laurel, or the other way round?

At the moment, the ponies are corraled 8h/day on the lawn, out of reach of any of these. However, I'm concerned that I've found isolated leaves of No. 4 inside the corral, presumably blown there by the wind.

cambrica

Visit site
The 2nd & 3rd is cotoneaster ( pronounced cot tony aster) the 4th is laurel and the tree is holly. Rhodies are very toxic but their smaller cousin the azalea even more so.

s4sugar

Visit site
As above -the tree with shiney leaves is holly and safe unless you have a horse that overdoses on berries.
The top is an azalea which is highly toxic. The Rhodies & laurel are also potentially deadly and the cotoneaster could cause colic.

spookypony

Visit site
Thanks again! I think they will need to go, except possibly the holly. What could I plant in the hedge instead? It will look like gappy teeth!

Redequus

Visit site
Willows? Easy peasy just plant twigs & watch them grow, they can be brwosed by the neds and also soak up loads of water - very handy with our lovely weather!!

cambrica

Visit site
I would probably go for a mixture of native hedgerow plants. Hawthorn, blackthorn (great for sloe gin) hazel, crab apple (malus), willow and mix with dog rose and even brambles (blackberry).
Ashridge trees.co.uk supply a stock friendly mix. I love late summer/ autumn when I can collect berries etc. Also have a large Bramley apple tree and greengages. Stay away from beech, oak and yew plus evergreens as most are toxic. Horses do not tend to eat toxic plants and many are unpalatable but I wouldn't leave anything to chance. Foxgloves as most people know are deadly and very bitter but cases are known where horses actually can develop a taste for them, I imagine that could be the case for other plants too. Native hedgerows are also so beneficial to our wildlife as are areas of nettles & docks.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Be careful if you do decide to use blackthorn as just about every wound will go manky :eek: There appears to be some sort of something (technical that!) which covers the thorns and causes wounds to become very infected.

cambrica

Visit site
Be careful if you do decide to use blackthorn as just about every wound will go manky :eek: There appears to be some sort of something (technical that!) which covers the thorns and causes wounds to become very infected.

Oooh, I will bear that in mind. I have loads of blackthorn and wait till the first frost to collect the berries for sloe gin. I will look into that :)

cambrica

Visit site
Hmmm, it seems blackthorn is not poisonous but the tips of the thorns break off easily which can cause infection if under the skin.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Incidentally they don't tend to eat Rhodies unless there is a forage shortage.

I had it in sheep one year and they had hay at all times, but having been under snow for 6 weeks it was like they were desperate for something green and I lost quite a few.

spookypony

Visit site
Thanks for all the ideas! Will follow up on your link, cambrica.

pixie, have taken some cuttings of the tree-y things and will take to the Botanical Gardens...they're very close to my building, anyway.

Bennions Field

Visit site
Def wouldnt recommend black thorn, it creeps into the field, only way to stop it is digup ALL the roots, it's taking over parts of my field :( hVe to have about 6ft of hedge cut each year on the inside of the field boundry, hedge is already 6-8 ft thick ! The rest of the field is a mixture of holly/hawthorn which is fab, even have some wild hops on one bit, horses love them

misterjinglejay

Visit site
...and how poisonous are they? :confused:

These pictures are of various plants that are either in a hedge bordering my lawn and separating the area that I propose to use as hard standing from the rest of the lawn, or among the trees at the bottom of the lawn. I'm not too great with plants, especially British ones, and would like to ID them! Any help much appreciated! :)

This one, I suspect of being a rhododendron?
plants1.jpg

Yes, and poisonous.

plants2.jpg

plants3.jpg

Berries look too big and rugby ball shaped to be cotoneaster, I think?? If it is, it's poisonous.

Another rhododendron?
plants4.jpg

Type of Laurel, poisonous.

Yet more rhododendron?
plants5.jpg

Yes, and again poisonous

This thing is a tree, which is not hugely tall.
plants6.jpg

Same tree.
plants7.jpg

Laurel, again poisonous.

Another tree-y thing, a bit smaller than the last one. This one appears to have dropped a lot of leaves, though the ones on the ground are still green.
plants8.jpg

Same tree-y thing.
plants9.jpg
Possible apple/pear, but if the leaves are shiney, could be laurel again

1stclassalan

Visit site
Most probable suspects are :-

1/ Portuguese Laurel - Prunus Lusitanica.

2/ & 3/ Cotoneaster species / varieries - they interbreed like rabbits!

4/ Common or Bird Cherry Laurel - they are all Prunus again but are classifies in a
subgenus of laurocerus these days.

5/ Rhododendron - most probably the common one - R. Ponticum - big bad weed!

6/ Holly - Ilex ovifolium - again they intebreed easily and throw many variations.

7/ Has got me! It could be another Laurel or a Holly or even a Privet -
Ligustrum Ovifolium but the leaves aren't in pairs as they should be.

They all look as if they've been through a hard winter and at least the two bigger plants may be suffering from Phytophora fungus attack - take them out and burn them!

All are poisonous to some degree except - Cotoneaster which is (I think ) harmless and Holly which has been used as fodder in history.

Replant with Quickthorn ( Hawthorn ) Crataegus monogyna ( get the last word? One seeded.) C. Oxyacantha has a pink tinge to the flowers - in May - it's other common name.

cambrica

Visit site
Most probable suspects are :-

1/ Portuguese Laurel - Prunus Lusitanica.

2/ & 3/ Cotoneaster species / varieries - they interbreed like rabbits!

4/ Common or Bird Cherry Laurel - they are all Prunus again but are classifies in a
subgenus of laurocerus these days.

5/ Rhododendron - most probably the common one - R. Ponticum - big bad weed!

6/ Holly - Ilex ovifolium - again they intebreed easily and throw many variations.

7/ Has got me! It could be another Laurel or a Holly or even a Privet -
Ligustrum Ovifolium but the leaves aren't in pairs as they should be.

They all look as if they've been through a hard winter and at least the two bigger plants may be suffering from Phytophora fungus attack - take them out and burn them!

All are poisonous to some degree except - Cotoneaster which is (I think ) harmless and Holly which has been used as fodder in history.

Replant with Quickthorn ( Hawthorn ) Crataegus monogyna ( get the last word? One seeded.) C. Oxyacantha has a pink tinge to the flowers - in May - it's other common name.

Having a better look this morning, agree with No 1 Prunus Lusitanica.
Curious as to why you think a Phytophthora attack? Just interested :) I know holly will grow untidy and leggy if not kept in check but would like to know what I am failing to spot :D

Here's a useful and interesting link to toxic plants :-
http://www.horseweb-uk.com/features/plantmain.htm