What are you all paying for small bales of Hay?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
There seems to be a lot of disparity in what people are paying in different parts of the country.

I've just ordered 30 bales from a farmer who lives 6 miles away. I know where he makes his hay coz ride there; so know its good stuff, plus have had it before.

Cost is £4.50 per bale delivered and stacked (very helpful when weaklings like me try to chuck it around like big hulking guys can - and end up totally kneckered after the first half dozen. Pathetic or what).

The_snoopster

Visit site
£3 per with a £10 delivery charge wether you have 1 bale or 100 bales, I have it delivered 40 bales at a time which works out £3.25 a bale. But just sourced some good hay at £3 per bale, which is being delivered on saturday. I am in shropshire.

Oliver12

Visit site
There seems to be a lot of disparity in what people are paying in different parts of the country.

A lot depends on how much the farmers were able to bale though. Haven't the south west had quite a wet summer. I am in Nottinghamshire and we've had a dry summer. I'm paying about £5 a bale this year. A friend of mine has a few acres from which a local farmer takes hay off. Last year the farmer took 250 bales, this year the same field only yielded 52 bales.

wattamus

Visit site
we only have large bales of hay and haylage at our yard and owner is selling them at around £30 a bale. we pay 7p per lb of hay or haylage. we're in east yours, the problem for us is aquiring straw for less than £2 a bale not hay :(

Dubsie

Visit site
Berkshire, £5 a bale, delivered to our barn he offloads as we stack. Really excellent consistent quality, tight bales you can just about heave around (and do not fall apart at all) totally free of weeds, he grows it all himself, and has spent a lot on improving his crop on his land in recent years.

claireandnadia

Visit site
£5 per bale direct from the farmer who owns the yard. Were not allowed to buy hay from outside but too be honest I'm not worried as I don't need to find hay, don't need to collect hay, don't need to store it and I don't need to worry that I can't get it.

Alec Swan

Visit site
Norfolk and £6 per bale, but they are flat 10s and not the conventional 8s. Our local feed merchants are £7 for the smaller size, and it's a bit grim.

Flat 10s are generally larger in section, and they're certainly longer. At a guess, 30% less in an 8. It's not Best hay, but certainly it's good.

I've also just bought in 20 mini Hestons which are 8' long, for £900, for those horses living out. It's going down at an alarming rate! :eek:

We've had 3 years of Spring and Summer drought here, which has hiked up the price, annually.

Alec.

CazD

Visit site
I paid £3.20 collected off the field in June/July in Herefordshire. Cant believe some people are paying £7.00 - when the fields are really wet the horses are yarded so I can get through 10 bales a week sometimes, the cost is bad now, at £70 a week I'd be bankrupted!!

Dollysox

Visit site
£5.50 per bale supplied by our YO, who cuts and bales it himself. Excellent quality this year, but 75p more than last year - though the quality was rubbish last year and we ran out so he had to order in and we ended up paying £7 per bale.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
£3.50 up here in Aberdeenshire (and this is the most we've ever paid!) but the guy delivers it to us and even stacks it all for us in our barn on his own, included in the price ;)

MagicMelon who/where is your guy? (we are near Aboyne but have had hay from Laurencekirk and straw from Methlick so doesnt have to be too close). Weve always paid more than £3.50 for hay delivered.

almrc

Visit site
I'm in cornwall and the cheapest I found was £3per bale delievered...thats a lucky find! The rest is £3.50 but mainly £4 or £4.50 per bale. Apparently if I order some when the field is cut next year it can be delivered to me cheaper!!

Last edited: