What are you doing with your youngsters this winter?

Cedars

Visit site
Hey :)

A quick Puz update and a question about youngsters!

Question first: what are you doing with your newly-backed horses this winter? Puzzy has had most of the summer off (lame, then big dental problem, then blew a splint, then needed a new saddle...!) so she's just back in to work now. Today we went on her first ever hack! Photos below. My plan is to keep her ticking over - she'll hack again next weekend, then she'll hack in company and alone for the rest of the winter, working mostly on her walk which needs to be a bit more swinging and forward.

Hopefully next summer we'll be in a position to do some (non-jumping) fun rides and fun dressage comps. Is that similar to everyone else?!

And photos - no crit on rider please as its not me on top (don't look too closely at her - I know she's filthy!):

IMG_4028.jpg

IMG_4033.jpg

IMG_4043.jpg

IMG_4049.jpg

dollface

Visit site
Mine will be doing nothing, but mainly bacause hes not 4 till June. Went to be broken last month and did 3 weeks so now chilling till spring. Im guessing yours is a bit older than mine?

Fluffy bunny

Visit site
Aww she's lovely. I'm the same as you, youngster backed earlier this year, had the summer off due to circumstances and am now keeping her ticking over :) we hack out 2/3 times a week on our own, and do one short paddock session, either ridden or lunged, she's 3 1/2 now.

I'm really looking forward to next year when I can start doing a bit more with her x

Cedars

Visit site
She's 3years 5months now. So far we've done lots of longreining, walking and trotting. Haven't yet cantered! Was planning to spend the winter just building her up slowly, getting used to the world.

Cedars

Visit site
I believe the phrase is "built like a brick outhouse"!! They all develop so differently. She still looks super babyish to me but then in my mind's eye she's still my 9month old with legs everywhere!

Asha

Visit site
Im picking my boy up from boarding school next week. Hes now walk , trot and cantering. He will be turned away for the winter as hes not 4 until April. Hoping to keep him out as much as possible with his buddies. But my fields are very wet at the moment, so will have to see

Come March he will be sent back to be restarted.

As for competitions, hoping to do a few low level things with him next year, although have a feeling it wont be me doing it. He is quite like yours cedars, in that hes built like a brick ***** house too. So will be leaving that to the chap who is backing him for me.

Looking forward to watching him progress.

Its very exciting

Last edited:

dollface

Visit site
I'm glad someone esle does this. To me Henry is still the little weedy foal standing at a whole 12hh. Hes now 16.2 and looks like a spider!!

Cedars

Visit site
Particularly now she's clipped, I almost double take every time I look at her..! I expect to see my munchkin and in fact see a grown up horse in her place. Bless her.

miss_c

Visit site
Titchy has been turned away since September, and we will be bringing her back into work in a few weeks time. The plan is to get her out to some dressage and riding club rallies early in the year, then advertising again to sell her.

dollface

Visit site
Shes a He!! but thank you lol
We have no idea, mother was rescued after an accident and we didnt know mum was in foal, once we did vets said foal wouldn't survive! Clearly foal did survive and Henry is the outcome!! I have no idea ho big he will make but hes 16.2 (just) and bottom high again. I stressed for about 2 years that he wouldn't be big enough for me so the deal was he had to make 16hhs

Cedars

Visit site
She's been superb. She is a WHW horse, we got her at 9months and she was born at the farm. They had done a great job with her to start her off, simple things like leading etc, they gave her a perfect grounding.

I have made more balls-ups than most I think! But she's been pretty perfect the whole way through. She's a really chilled out, easy baby - she's always the horse I rely on to be safe and sane when the others are messing around.

But then I'm biased, I think she's perfect but I think everyone thinks that of their foals :)

dollface

Visit site
Obviously ;) we must be very skilled pro's as H has been pretty fab too. Took to be broken like an old pro. Hes had a few ups and downs with me and does have a certain friend that he takes the p1ss out of but hes not nasty with it

monkeybum13

Visit site
Cedars, she is turning into a really lovely looking horse :)

I think your plan sounds good, I think that hacking is so important for youngster and much prefer a youngster that has been out and seen the world rather than one that spends the whole time trotting around in circles!

mrogers

Visit site
Well my baby is 3, acts like a 3yr old but has a head of a 7 year old. Throughout the year he has been doing a lot of this
560311_4168815811250_1531498474_n.jpg

We broke him in May, then just ticked over for a few months establishing walk and trot and then just taking him for a wander around the shows to get him used to everything. Then he had a few months off and has come back into the last few weeks and started hacking out. Last week was his first time over poles
548889_10151361566495555_67428495_n.jpg

643966_10151361574405555_1786829888_n.jpg

188418_10151361574895555_1157914531_n.jpg

The plan is to start sorting canter out ready for the novices next year. Just love this little pony, he loves to work and loves to please.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
If 6 in the new year counts as still a youngster then shes getting from now until New year off then clipped out and brought back into work so shes fit and ready to go for spring training :)

rowy

Visit site
I have had my 3 year old since September now and bought her straight out the field. She is 3 years 5 months and still looks like a 2 year old, but with the head of a 8 year old.

I sat on her and walked around a total of 3 times and now have let her chill over the winter except some lunging and long reining every now and again.
Plan is to sit on her again in march for 6 weeks get her doing some walk, trotting and hacking and then turn her away for 6 weeks again and then bring her into work properly in June.
This is her today:
016-1.jpg

003-2.jpg

katastrophykat

Visit site
Ahhh!! Vegas!! Hello mrogers!!

I can certainly do a then and now pic- then- and what I still see in him every day!

043.jpg

Now-

939.jpg

And this summer-

205.jpg

He's been doing some work once a week for the past few weeks, I either take him out to a lesson or just out for a hack. This week, I've started lunging him as well, to build him up a bit before he goes off to be broken to drive in January. Then slow and steady next year :D

Asha

Visit site
Shes a He!! but thank you lol
We have no idea, mother was rescued after an accident and we didnt know mum was in foal, once we did vets said foal wouldn't survive! Clearly foal did survive and Henry is the outcome!! I have no idea ho big he will make but hes 16.2 (just) and bottom high again. I stressed for about 2 years that he wouldn't be big enough for me so the deal was he had to make 16hhs

OOPs sorry about that. What a lovely 'accident'

She's been superb. She is a WHW horse, we got her at 9months and she was born at the farm. They had done a great job with her to start her off, simple things like leading etc, they gave her a perfect grounding.

I have made more balls-ups than most I think! But she's been pretty perfect the whole way through. She's a really chilled out, easy baby - she's always the horse I rely on to be safe and sane when the others are messing around.

But then I'm biased, I think she's perfect but I think everyone thinks that of their foals :)

Your not on your own with the 'balls up'.

My latest is a super star, so easy. I look forward to 3 years from now when i can start a thread like this about her.
Cedar your mare looks gorgeous, a proper solid hunter type.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Still slowly backing her, just taking our time. I have bitted and saddled her, taken her for walks in hand and leant over her plenty this summer. And a couple of weeks ago I started doing this
meonnell.jpg

She is 3, not exactly sure how many months as her passport date is not right, previous owner told porkies on her age :mad:

I will start getting on in the school soon and starting to walk on her :)

Allie5

Visit site
In my head I have
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/Allie5_photos/2e3f4fbd.jpg

In reality I have

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/Allie5_photos/tommy/2012-04-29141321.jpg

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/Allie5_photos/2012-10-04123930.jpg

He's 4 next July and has been sat on a few times but as he's still growing Im only doing groundwork with him this winter. So we'll do some in hand hacking, long reining etc. Can't wait for next summer to really crack on with him. He's been such a darling so far!