What are you feeding your horse that has/had ulcers

dixie

Visit site
As the title really.
I’m currently with treating my horse for ulcers and looking at his feeding regime,
I was already looking at this as I felt he needed more energy.
I’ve contacted a few of the feed companies and most of them are coming back with a feed of Alfalfa and a balancer. I’m not yet sure alfalfa is suiting him based on his behaviour last week!

Current thought process is Hi Fi MF with top spec comprehensive balancer and in the morning Top Spec Ulsa kind nuts as he doesn’t seem to eat up his chaff am.

SEL

Visit site
I went to straights so I could work out if there was any particular ingredient that was an issue. So kwik beet & copra with chaff is the base. I'd feed linseed but it doesn't agree with her and nor does alfalfa.

Ulsakind nuts really made her grouchy so my other horse (can eat anything) got them.

They say chaff before riding but I go for small net of hay.

TPO

Visit site
I feed keyflow pink mash. Not specifically for ulcers but I do think it helps.

I tried ulsakind nuts years ago with a post ulcer horse and he didn't do well on them.

I mainly concentrate on ensuring adlib forage and low sugar and starch. Everything now gets (varying quantities based on requirements) pink mash, micronised linseed and unmolassed grass chaff.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Despite the fluffy marketing out there about feeding this, feeding that etc... it's an ULCER. It came about DUE TO FEED.

Don't feed the horse anything but hay. It will go away, I promise.

Hi Tallyho - I totally agree with you re all this fluffy product marketing - its shocking & based upon very little research. I tend to just bite my tongue when I see people advocating this feed or this supplement helping as how do they truly know when theyve normally been on meds & changed their management.
BUT I am very keen to know more about your statements "it came about due to feed" & "it will go away I promise " because we are in a dilemma with ulcers & currently have turned away for one year.

Reactions: TPO

sunleychops

Visit site
A) Not every single ulcer is caused by feed, That's a ludicrous statement to make. Its like saying every lost shoe is a result of poor farriery or every bout of laminitis is down to grass. There are a number of contributing factors that play a part in the development of gastric ulcers and whilst diet does play a part in it, It isn't the sole factor.

B) Also, No they won't just go away if you feed nothing but hay. If you feed nothing but hay to a horse stabled 24/7 or in a stressful environment, hard training etc it will not make an iota of difference to the ulcer unless you treat the ulcer and then proceed with a management review.

It's dangerous some of the stuff people spout on the internet!

SEL

Visit site
Despite the fluffy marketing out there about feeding this, feeding that etc... it's an ULCER. It came about DUE TO FEED.

Actually my mare's ulcers were caused by pain elsewhere. Took a while to track down the issue, but once that was under control her stomach improved. We've had setbacks - stress related normally - but nothing like she was when I first got her.

SEL

Visit site
Hi Tallyho - I totally agree with you re all this fluffy product marketing - its shocking & based upon very little research. I tend to just bite my tongue when I see people advocating this feed or this supplement helping as how do they truly know when theyve normally been on meds & changed their management.
BUT I am very keen to know more about your statements "it came about due to feed" & "it will go away I promise " because we are in a dilemma with ulcers & currently have turned away for one year.

Have you been down the omeprazole route?

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
Ex-ulcer horse. Was not typical case, continued eating well and was already on adlib hay, group turnout etc. But poor performance and scoped. Treated via omeprazole. Took off all feed other than hay. Slowly introduced balancer and low sugar chaff (won't eat the healthy stuff!). Needed more as was struggling with work so have added calm and condition which appears to suit him. Whilst less hard feed can make sense, some simply need more. And mine really doesn't work that hard, but he was grumpy and struggling. Vet told me to remove all supplements(relating to ulcer "care") and up his feed and he has improved since! Ours was purely down to environment and him worrying (and being a right princess!). He's not on a particularly"ulcer" kind regime but it works for him. He now comes into his stable early each day so he's not tired when I want to ride after work and comes in if it's particularly cold as otherwise he gets very cross. We can't feed alfalfa - crazy spooky loon as I learnt the hard way! As the vet said - if they understood why horses get ulcers they could all retire rich! Which is what many feed companies and supplement providers are tapping into. Every horse is different and it's a case of trying to find the cause for that horse and then manage them accordingly.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Have you been down the omeprazole route?

Yes 4 times over the course of a year - insurance now run out - daughters confidence shot to bits so turned away for now - full work ups but no other issues found - strongly suspect could have been saddle.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Ex-ulcer horse. Was not typical case, continued eating well and was already on adlib hay, group turnout etc. But poor performance and scoped. Treated via omeprazole. Took off all feed other than hay. Slowly introduced balancer and low sugar chaff (won't eat the healthy stuff!). Needed more as was struggling with work so have added calm and condition which appears to suit him. Whilst less hard feed can make sense, some simply need more. And mine really doesn't work that hard, but he was grumpy and struggling. Vet told me to remove all supplements(relating to ulcer "care") and up his feed and he has improved since! Ours was purely down to environment and him worrying (and being a right princess!). He's not on a particularly"ulcer" kind regime but it works for him. He now comes into his stable early each day so he's not tired when I want to ride after work and comes in if it's particularly cold as otherwise he gets very cross. We can't feed alfalfa - crazy spooky loon as I learnt the hard way! As the vet said - if they understood why horses get ulcers they could all retire rich! Which is what many feed companies and supplement providers are tapping into. Every horse is different and it's a case of trying to find the cause for that horse and then manage them accordingly.

Thats whats so frustrating with all these products being sold - very wise words by your Vet indeed!

Bellaboo18

Visit site

?! I don't agree with this at all. Ulcers can be due to pain somewhere else, prolonged periods without forage or stress.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I think 24/7 turnout has helped the most for us with a constant companion. She then has two small meals of Allen and page cool and collected, micronised linseed, yea sacc and dengie healthy tummy. This suits her but it's definitely finding what's right for the individual. She's also got access to hay at all times in the field shelter.

racebuddy

Visit site
Feed top spec mash / joint balancer ulcer kind and alfa a plus oil top spec digestive aid if needed ie travelling a lot new grass ect / electroyyes when needed and top spec performances cubes as needed for extea energy ad lib hay , out in the day as much as possible currently out 5/7 due to rich grass but if ok 10 horse was found to have irritable bowel also

ohmissbrittany

Visit site

True story. Equine marketing thrives on people who want to buy all the things to fix their issues without changing training and management practices or their own behavior.

The one where the medication doesn't help the ulcers really does my head in- try eliminating things if even the proton pump inhibitors aren't working. It's something the horse is eating or doing or feeling- start there and a lot of potential causes are FREE to investigate without buying £3524698 worth of feed and kit.