What are you feeding your youngsters??

JumpingJacks

Visit site
My youngster came to me vert very overweight. I have been trying my hardest to keep his weight down as really don't want to put extra stress on joints etc. At the moment he is out on grass with no hard feed. As winter is coming up I still have a lot of grass so will be rotating and moving his field around to eat this down . I don't want to be feeding hay until I really have too obviously I will know when this is. What are you all feeding yours??

Tash88

Visit site
I just give mine the recommended amount of balancer (Saracen bio life 200) every day with garlic and a chopped apple/carrot. He's living out at the moment but will get a proper feed when he starts coming in overnight, in October I imagine. He isn't that young though, has just turned 6 and is in full work. He is a WB x TB and has a bit of a summer belly at the moment, but he is already starting to drop it a bit.

Queenbee

Visit site
Mine gets night time turn out, 1/4 scoop of Allen and page fast fibre for breakfast and hay while in. He's fine on that although I should probably have him on a broad spectrum supplement he also has a salt lick

flaxen

Visit site
My 2 yr old is on good grazing ( was dairy grass but beef now ) by day ( out for 11hrs ) and apple hifi and D&H youngstock mix and hay. He is fed on a night but will be upped to twice daily shortly as he is really fussy, wont eat more than a flap of hay at night, wont eat haylage full stop and wont eat nuts or pellets either.
He gets a large tub trug bucket for tea in winter mostly hifi, readigrass, sugarbeet and then reccommended amt mix. This lasts him almost all of the night and just picks at his hay. He has breakfast too but much less as cant wait all day for him to eat it. He has been like this since he was born.

He cant be doing too badly as is already 15hh at hi withers and 15.2hh at his rump and was only meant to make 15.2hh despite usually being tucked up on a morning from not eating enough.

Last edited:

PuzzlePiece

Visit site
Grass! 2 yr old lives out 24/7 in a big field and looks good off it.
He was on mollichaff condition over winter before I got him, tried feeding as well but he wasnt interested in a bucket when he's got a whole field.

Blitzen

Visit site
My 3yo is on grass. That's it :) He has hay in the winter, and maybe a bit of fast fibre if he drops weight. He's ISH x irish cob, so is a stocky lad. x