What are you feeding?

lizzieuk1

Visit site
just wondering what everyones choice of winter feed is and what sort of work the horses are doing on it?

Any thoughts fro a 4yo ish in medium work whos quite a good doer and in at night-partly clipped.
at the mo hes on one round scoop alpha a with hifi, 1/3 scoop herbal mix and 1/3 scoop sugar beet, plus multivits,codliver oil and cider vinegar, sound ok??

samp

Visit site
Replace the cider vinegar and CLO with a soya, linseed or veg oil.

I have a 15.3hh warmblood, 9yo in medium work - schooled 3 - 4times a week, jumps once a week and ridden on 2hr hacks. She is out for 6 hrs approx a day on ad lib hay. Hard feeed wise has 1.5 scoops Alfa oil, 1.5 scoops Show shine chaff, 3/4 scoop dry sugar beet, 1 scoop pasture mix, 1 scoop releve - god that does sound a lot! We are trying to give her a variety as she does not maintain weight that well

Dogbetty141

Visit site
What does Cider vinegar do?

My TB who is not yet clipped is on 1 small scoop baileys conditioning cubes, 1 big scoop of Hi fi and garlic and cod liver oil also with apples and carrots. He seems fine on that do want to try blue chip though.

vicm2509

Visit site
Baron is a 16.3 MW and is ridden for about an hour a day and hacked for a few hours at the weekend.

Going by the big round scoops....

1 1/2 alfa oil
1 soaked oats (unsoaked measurement)
1 sugarbeet (soaked measurement)

Also added is the topspec comprehensive supplement.

He has this twice a day.

He is fully clipped, out in the day and in at night with as much hay as he can eat. He is currently holding his weight very well.

fairhill

Visit site
Chloe - 15 yo shire x cyldesdale, very good doer, medium work and chaser clip gets 1 round scoop of safe and sound, and a skin supplement twice a day.

Meg - 5 yo CB x welsh, good doer, medium work and chaser clip gets 1 round scoop Happy Hoof, 1/2 scoop working mix and vit supplement twice a day.

They only get fed once a day in summer, otherwise their diets remain the same all year round.

Your feed sounds fine - if he's happy on it, and keeping condition and not getting fizzy, then stick with it.

lizzieuk1

Visit site
pls correct me if i'm wrong- as i may be feeding for the wroing reasons:? but i believe the cider vinegar helps with general joint mobility.
Samp why do you think i should replace using soya oil etc?

samp

Visit site
I would not of thought this is necessary for a 4yo? Cider vineagr is normally used on arthritic horses. Oil is more for condition and extra calories without the fizz

Baileysno1

Visit site
5 year old WB in moderate work schooled 3 times a week lunged once jumped once hacked out on weekends a little fast / hill work. Turned out for 10 hours a day. He gets

Large haylege net (1/3 of a small bale)
large haynet

1 scoop hi-fi
1 scoop pasture mix
1/4 scoop oats
11/2 pints topspec balancer
carrots and apples

He lacks a little energy and did drop weight affter hunting so added the haylege, hes porked up pretty quick and looks well now.

the watcher

Visit site
light to medium work the two 15.2s get a full round scoop of soaked speedibeet, same of a Dengie varient depending on their condition (currently Hi-fi but going to alfa oil with the next bag), pink powder and a scant handful of high oil pellets once a day, also ad lib hay and grazing 8 hours a day.

Will go to 2 feeds in December and increase the pellets until ultimately they will be on double this quantity

BBs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What does Cider vinegar do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cider Vinegar helps horses with arthritis
smile.gif
My old boy was on it for years. Dont really use it now - think its rather underated. Probably too old fashioned for some.

I have a 4 year old, in light work, ridden daily for around 20-30 minutes plus walker for 30 minutes. Hacking at weekends and jumping 1-2 times a week.
I currently feed him Hi Fi Original, very small handful of pony nuts, carrots and coligone plus stacks of hay. Hes now having Speedibeet Alfa as hes lots a bit of weight. Will also slowly increase his pony nut intake - however, didnt want to blow his mind and make him unrideable - he had a small handful of mix the other day and nearly blew a gasket!! lol
Hes also turned out daily - apart from the past 2 days.

Winston - 11 year old who is basically doing the same as above but with the odd days hunting and fast work for fun.
Hes on the same - oats have been cut due to work load was reduced recently. But he will start to come back into more work in the next few weeks ready for the xmas holidays where i hope to hunt and compete a fair bit - his feed will be increased accordingly.

Thinking I may swap the bog standard nuts to conditioning cubes and or add cooking oil.

lizzieuk1

Visit site
yep thats what i thought about the cider vinegar, he's got an old ringbone injury- think he was either kicked as a foal or tangled in some wire though not sure, and he is a bit 'clicky' in the hips- prob hypermobile and muscle imbalance so am using as a precaution really.

icemaiden113

Visit site
Have 4 horses all on pretty much the same basic feed (don't like mixes as you never really know whats in them). Never had a prob with weight or illness!
TB 12YRS - 1 scopp alfa a, 2 scoop shigh fibre nuts, 2 scoops sugar beet, oil and cv. haylage twice a day light work.
ID x TB 16 yrs - 1 scoop alfa a, 2 scoops high fibre nuts, 1 conditioning cubes, 2 sugar beet. 1 oats. oil and cv, haylage unlimited. Hunting hounds once a week.
TB x Welsh cob 10yrs. The same but without conditioning cubes. same work.
Han 12yrs. 1scoop alfa a i scoop high fibre nuts, 1 sugar beet. unlimited haylage. Hunting once a week!
That way is so much easier as you can up and down there feed without causing problems.

Oaksflight

Visit site
One scoop of alfa oil, with splash of cider vinegar in the evening, out during the day, in at night with a large haynet and hay rack filled with haylage. Keeps his weight on well, is in light work, and will be hunter clipped within next week as will be gradually going into heavier work. Oh, he's 16.1hh and weighs around 550kg, I think (written down at yard).

Madam_max

Visit site
Corroy is ridden 6 days a week, normally 4 schooling (with a fairly hard lesson at weekend) and 1 jumping session and hacked for a few hours at the weekend. She is having 1 scoop conditiong cubes, 1 scoop Alfa and a scoop of Sugar Beet.

She's 15.3hh and weighs about 590kg.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
Have 4 horses all on pretty much the same basic feed (don't like mixes as you never really know whats in them). Never had a prob with weight or illness!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what we were always taught about nuts when they were new fangled things!! Also told - and there was plenty of proof of this btw!!
shocked.gif
- that they were often made with the sweepings from the floor!! Know it's not true nowadays, all strictly controlled but I have seen for myself at a mill when they were making them and I shudder to think what else went into the bags!!

I'm a bad mother at the mo'; all mine are still out at grass and there is so much of it they don't get a feed at all, but will after the 28th, after our meet and then they'll mostly be in at night only so they will get:- soaked oats, sugar beet (to finish off the bag then onto Speedibeet) Lo Cal for Dolly and old pony, Blue Chip for other, smallest of handfuls of HiFi as none of them really like chop of any description and as much hay/haylage they can eat. Twig will change onto a stud feed about February (due in April).

Scarlett

Visit site
My 4 yo TB exracer was a bag of bones over the summer due to boxrest and other issues - am trying to get the condition on him plus give him a little more 'go' - he is in at night and he is ridden 5/6 times a week inc jumping and lunging and he gets 2 feeds, although his morn feed is half the size of his evening feed which consists of -
1 scoop D&H Build up mix
1 scoop Alfa A Oil
1/2 scoop D&H Barley Rings (trying these out just now - may swap to a slow release energy mix)
1/2 scoop Fibrebeet
plus 100g of cooked Linseed (great stuff!!)
glucosamine
Oilovite General Supplement which is a vit supplement plus soya and cod liver oil, its also a tenner for a months supply so cheaper than a multi vit and seperate oils....

My 5 yo IDx is a good doer, out 24/7, clipped with a rug on and is worked 5/6 days a week and will be out jumping as of next month. He fizzes up quite easily. He gets -
1 scoop Alfa A Oil
1/2 scoop D&H country Cubes
1/4 Scoop D&H Staypower muesli
1/2 scoop of Speedibeet
Oilovite Supplement
Glucosamine

and last but not least - the fat, hairy Highland! out 24/7 with a lightweight rug on to keep him clean - needs a bit of oomph but isnt worked often enough to merit a competion mix etc.
1 Scoop of Alfa A Oil
1/2 Scoop of Speedibeet
1/2 Scoop of D&H Country Cubes
Oilovite supplement

they get hay morn and night in the field too....

lizzieuk1

Visit site
LOL!
best feed of course, hen gets plenty of that in the day as well, but can lack alittle energy - or is just a lazy irish boy!! so feed a little more in winter. think i may change to cubes though instead of mix as seems sensible wrt the balance as suggested.
thanks all so far v useful info.

Chex

Visit site
Chex is on a handful of Happy dieter just now lol. If he ever does loose the weight he'll get mollichaff and sugarbeet, prbably with cool mix or oats. He also has cider vinegar.

_Katy_

www.zazzle.co.uk
My two are get a scoop of apple chaf and 1/3 scoop pasture nuts and corn oil. They're both Dales so they're good doers, not clipped and only do light hacking. They're both still out day and night (more or less) at the moment too.

Salcey

Visit site
Gosh they vary don't they. Mine are both in at night.

15:3hh cobx ridden 5 times a week, currently on 1 heaped scoop of hifi, one scoop of fibre nuts and supplements plus hay. (This will increase as the winter goes on and the grass reduces) Shes out 7 hours a day. She weighs 550kg

12:3hh Welshie ridden 3/4 times a week, only on token handful of nuts whilst the others eating (This also will increase as grass reduces), plus hay. He's out 7 hours a day. He weighs 315kg.

Heidi1

Visit site
Have 4 horses......
Moge - 18 retired - Double handfull Alfa A with Oil, scoop of Sixteen Plus Cubes, measure of Equilibra and Speedi-beet + Garlic and additional Soya Oil. Not Clipped.
Zara - 15 light work - Double handfull Alfa A with Oil, scoop of Pasture Nuts, measure of Equilibra and Speedi-beet + Garlic and additional Soya Oil and Selenivite E, Full Clip as gets very hot.
Millie - 8 Medium work - Double handfull Alfa A with Oil, scoop of Pasture Nuts, measure and half of Equilibra and Speedi-beet + Garlic and additional Soya Oil. Full Clipped
Spur - 8 Medium work - Double handfull Alfa A with Oil, scoop of Pasture Nuts, measure and half of Equilibra and Speedi-beet + Garlic and additional Soya Oil and Selenivite E. High Chaser Clip.

riotgirl

Visit site
My Welsh Cob is 14.1 and just ridden at the weekends at the mo, about 1/2 hr of light schooling and an hour hacking Sat and Sun. She has a token amount of Spillers Happy Dieter, Spillers Fibre Cubes, and Speedibeet. This is more to con her into thinking she is getting the same as my old girl rather than any need for actual nutrition!
My old girl has a scoop each of Veteran mix and mollichop and then some speedibeet. They both get 10+ hours of grazing a day (restricted slightly for Welshie), and a couple ofsections of hay each morning and night.

Agent XXX999

Visit site
Bruce is 17.3 ish and gets fed
Scoop alfa a
1/2 Barley Rings
1/2 Oats
1/2 Scoop cool mix with added enzimes (like yakult for horses)
1/2 Sugarbeet

Oil

He said delicious (and is doing well on it too)

M

madabout2

Mine is a poor doer:

15hh pba, 3 meals a day plus ad lib haylage, out at grass about 8 hours a day, light work 4hrs schooling a week.

And he eats in each feed:

1 heap scoop Baileys no2, 1 scoop hifi, 1 1/2 cups outshine, then digest+ and mudgard!

Where can I find a grass only one!

fizz-tally

Visit site
jay is in light work, gets scoop hifi,1/2 scoop pasture mix,cider vin,veg oil,speedi beet,out 24/7 with ad lib hay,will be coming in dec 1st & will be clipped out. he is 17.1hh tb x id

Henmen

Visit site
16hh WB x ISH, 4 and half years old, worked 3/4 times a week, she has 1/2 scoop Hi Fi, 1/4 scoop D&H pony nuts, 4 slices of hay at night, out 6 hours a day.

miamibear

Visit site
I think that diet sounds ok, only a need to change it if your horse starts to drop weight, get too fizzy or too lazy!

I feed my 16.1hh TB x ID topspec balancer - full ration in tea. Large scoop and a half of happy hoof in each feed. Garlic and linseed oil.

My horse is a good doer, he gets ridden 6 days a week, schooling for 45 mins or hacking for 1.5hrs.

If he starts to drop weight im going to change his chaff