What are you feeding?

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
so MFH do you avoid the nuts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly try to!
If I feed a manufactured feed of any type it tends to be a mix and certainly, always Baileys!!
grin.gif
even their Economy Mix is very good quality and clean so will use that as a base if I change from soaked oats. I had two mares that if fed on nuts were prone to choke but not at all on a mix/straights, so I tend to stay away from them now if I can just to be on the safe side.

KatB

Visit site
4/5yr old ISH, relatively good doer, in at night, grazing all day, fully clipped, worked 3/4 times a week, mainly hacking/light schooling, occasional dressage/sj.

Has 2.5 scoops of alfa oil, Lo-cal balancer and biotin in two feeds. Ad lib hayledge.
When in full work, also has NAF 5*superflex and will have either Baileys Allround Endurance, or Allen and Paige Sustain added.

Lill

Visit site
Um Blue gets
(big round scoops)

1 of alfa
1/3 of mix/conditioning mix
1/3 barley cube things think (can't remember what its called!)
1/2 speedibeet

twice a day and Holly (being a little fat) gets

1 of alfa
1/2 speedibeet

Holly gets ridden 4 or 5 times a week for 30-45mins and Blue gets ridden 5 or 6 times a week for 30-45mins

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
Mine is out during day and in at night with a partial clip. She competes about once a week and worked most days. She's a good doer but she is quite fit at the moment and isn't carrying any weight. She's 15.1

She gets:
1/2 scoop cool mix
Double handfull of Alpha A (yes this is my proffesional measuring system
blush.gif
)
Corn oil, salt and a joint supplement.
Plus add lib haylage and a mineral block in her stable.

Vicki1986

Visit site
13.1 pony in medium work (sometimes hard work depending on weather and our calendar of hunting, shows etc)

twice daily she has...

half a scoop Hifi Good doer

squirt Supershine Plus (**this stuff is AMAZING if you like a nice soat silky coat to stroke without using slippery conditioner spray!!)

Cider vinegar & Superflex (to help aid her stiffness)

Mint for flavour

Biotin as had a problem with her feet but weaning off this now as they are fine

1/2 cup baileys lo-cal

2 v.small handfuls pony nuts in snakaball

She will continue to be fed this all through winter as she is a very good doer she doesnt need much hard feed.

Rambo

Visit site
Okay...

Bo (16.3hh KWPN, Ridden 6 days / week for 40 mins / day):

1 Scoop Chaff
1 Scoop Horse Nuts
1 Small Scoop Calm and Condition
1 Speedibeat
60ml Propell Plus

Trike (16.2hh KWPN, Ridden 6 days / week for 40 mins / day):

1/2 Scoop Chaff
1/2 Scoop Horse Nuts
1 Scoop Oats
250ml Soya Oil
Super Cortaflex
60ml Propell Plus

Both of them are fed twice a day and get ad-lib haylege too, They both compete every other week
smile.gif

Tempi

Visit site
Blossom - hard work (hour solid schooling every night, including one lesson a week, hacking one day on weekend and competing BD the other day (two elementary tests)...she has once a day at night:

saucepan of alafa-a original
scoop of badminton horse feeds dressage mix
one large net of haylage

(she also has suppliments in that of sunflower seeds/cortaflex/skratch&zephyr)

Archie - 5yr old, in fittening work, working everyday for approx 45mins, one lesson a week and one day off:

3/4 scoop of allen&page calm&condition
one large net of haylage

(suppliments of sunflower seeds and global herbs 'magicalm' - he'l be off the magicalm at the end of the tub tho as it isnt working!!)

They are both out on grass all day every day (bloss has the occasional day in)

Theresa_F

Visit site
I have just changed to Simple Systems

Cairo 16.3 20 year old clydie in light work

Big round scoops

1 lucie stalks
1/2 green gold (alfa a)
mug of black sunflower seeds
Simple system's Total Eclipse plus extra linseed, pro-bio (though same stop using this) and cortaflex

He gets this twice a day all year round plus 1/2 to 1 bale of hay a day depending on how long he is in.

When the weather gets cold and the grass is gone he will also get 1/4 kilo dry weight of speedibeet a day

Chancer 14.3 2 1/2 gypsy cob

Has the same as Cairo but no cortaflex and slightly less hay - basically as much as he wil eat.

They also get their snack ball with about 3/4 k of nuts when in during the winter in the afternoon.

At the moment they are both in good shape and vet is very pleased with their condition.

Evadiva1514

Visit site
Mine are all out of work atm because of my injury so the boys get:

1 x scoop of Hi fi lite, a handful of Hi fibre cubes once a day and ad lib hay/haylage.

Misty my retired pony is on 4 feeds a day as she has been suffering from a bit of weight loss recently due to her teeth so is on:
D&H Build up Cubes
Spillers Hi Fibre cubes
D&H 16+ mix
Dengie Hi Fi lite
and ad lib Hay/haylage

The 2 babies are just on ad lib hay.

icemaiden113

Visit site

That's what we were always taught about nuts when they were new fangled things!! Also told - and there was plenty of proof of this btw!!
shocked.gif
- that they were often made with the sweepings from the floor!! Know it's not true nowadays, all strictly controlled but I have seen for myself at a mill when they were making them and I shudder to think what else went into the bags!!

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure that may have been true once but being an equine nutritionist i now know whats in them and belive me if half the people knew what went in to mixes they wouldn't bother! Old fashioned feeding never got horses in to trouble before!

pottamus

Visit site
My Welshie is currently ridden 4 times a week doing an hour plus hacking mainly in trot. He eats grass during the day and as much hay as he can eat at night. Other than that he has two small handfuls of hi fi to put his supplement in and some carrots once a day! Cheap and easily pleased!!!

Happytohack

Visit site
My lot are out in the day in at night. They get ad lib good quality hay & hi fibre haylage, they get Dengie Hi Fi, Spillers hi fibre cubes and Ella (only one who is ridden) gets Blue Chip.They all look really well.

Gingernags

Visit site
Hunter clipped 3/4 TB in medium work. Ad lib hay and 1 feed (only just brought them in) on a tea time, double handful alfa lite, half scoop (which is a 1 litre jug) of economy mix and a very watery half scoop (same size scoop as coarse mix) of speedi beet.

This is luxury mind you, she competed all summer (jumping and WH showing classes) on just grass.

Such a good dooer!
smile.gif

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
All get loads of corn oil, Selenavite E, salt in evening feeds. Haylage twice a day.
6yo gelding in full work -
1/2 scoop Spillers power cubes at 5am
scoop power cubes at midday
1/2 scoop power cubes at 3pm
1 scoop oats, 1 scoop power cubes, 1/2 scoop alfa a oil at 6.30pm
Equicell.

6yo gelding coming into work, is thin and blood count is very wrong -
scoop alfa oil, scoop oats, scoop barley.
scoop Spillers horse and pony cubes.
scoop spillers horse and pony cubes
scoop alfa oil, scoop oats, scoop barley
Equicell
ad lib haylage.

5yo gelding, just started cantering -
1/2 scoop horse and pony cubes
scoop power cubes
1/2 scoop horse and pony cubes
scoop h and p cubes, scoop oats, 1/2 scoop alfa oil.

4yo gelding, longreining -
scoop oats
scoop h and p
scoop oats
scoop oasts, scoop alfa oil

Jose

Visit site
20 y-o TB living out gets 2 scoops Alfa-A, 2 scoops Baileys No. 4 + Linseed split into 2 feeds per day.

4-y-o TB good do-er out day, in night gets 2 scoops dengie good-doer & 1 scoop speedibeet split into 2 feeds per day.

They also get hay, carrots + various joint / vit supplements

MillionDollar

Visit site
My 16hh Cylesdale x TB is fed 1 scoop of competition mix, 1/2 scoop maintenance nuts, 1 scoop dengie hi-fi and vegetable oil twice a day. WB is on 1/2 scoop comp mix, 1/2 scoop nuts, 1 scoop of hi-fi and vegetable oil twice a day. Both are worked 6 days a week (hard work). 3 Natives are fed nothing, except the 2 mares will soon be fed as they are in-foal.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
7yo TB 17.1hh not doing very much at the moment (once a week) while owner earns more money to pay for next years eventing. Currently out 24/7 despite being told I am cruel by my mother a million and 1 times (bloody woman) and horse has mediumweight turnout with hood and 2 shoulder protectors.
Currently has as much grass as he wants and a haynet every night. Plus a feed of 1 scoop of nuts and 1 scoop of sugerbeet.
I think he looks fine and so does trainer but again my mother who is driving me up the wall and used to looking after a well covered chunky cleveland bay scoffing machine thinks he is too thin. AGGHHHHH sorry rant over but it is driving me spare!

Blazingkate

carlingblacklabel.piczo.com
Carling is ridden 4 times a week, one jumping session 2 schooling one 2hr hack. He is also lunged twice a week so has 6 days exercise. He lives out 24/7 and has a full clip. He's a 9 yr old 15hh Cob x and is actually a really bad doer over the winter, he looses weight hugely. However I've got him on one scoop of Alfa-A, 1/2 scoop of Dodson and Horrells Build Up Cubes, Veggie Oil and one scoop of Chinese Garlic Powder. So far so good. He's a good weight and has a lovely silky n shiny coat. Also he lost a lot of weight in September, he went down to 420kg and this feed has built his weight back up to 490kg.