What are you towing with and is it any good? (2016+)

Loubidy

Visit site
Hello

I am going round in circles trying to choose a new car! It needs to be 2016 or newer for LEZ / my work location.

What care are you towing with (and which model variation as all the weights differ) ?

is it nice to drive? Is it economical when not towing? Is it reliable or has it been in the garage a lot? Have you had something was was crap and I should av

I really just need to hear some personal experiences of cars to help me make a decision.

thank you!

Please don’t turn this into a debate about towing weights, I get the car needs to be heavy enough to stop a trailer in an emergency- I have a whole spreadsheet of towing capacity / car model/ kerbweights I have no plans to tow with a tiny car.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It would still be helpful to know what sort of weight (trailer + occupants) that you are planning on towing before people weigh in with suggestions :).

Though I will kick off and recommed the Skoda Octavia Scout 4x4 estate towing up to 2000kg.

LWB Shogun towing up to 3.5t. Utterly awesome tow trucks. They were discontinued in 2019 and I don't know re LEZ.

Widgeon

Visit site
Ooh I will be following this with interest. I don't know how long my beloved but elderly Volvo will go for and I've been eyeing up a Subaru Outback...but I don't know anybody who drives one. Very interested in other options!

TPO

Visit site
I have a 2018 kia sportage 2l diesel manual and it can tow 2.2t.

I haven't towed with anything else so no comparison but it's easy to drive, approx 46mpg combined. Touch wood never had any issues and it's sailed through MOT.

Got a lot of fancy (to me!) extras in the car too.

Cragrat

Visit site
OH's Toyota Invictus crew cab. Automatic. Lovely to drive, pulls Ifor 511 and 2 big horses up long big hills with ease. 2019, so far very reliable

Loubidy

Visit site
Sorry, I was avoiding weights because I don’t want it to turn into debate. I only have one horse who depending on season can weigh 480-550. I will buy the trailer after the car so technically if I got the lightest trailer (Bateson derby 675kg) I only NEED 1225kg however current shortlist (changes daily) is towing capacity atleast 2t and minimum kerbweight 1700.

I need to hear real experiences so I don’t buy a car that ticks all the boxes on paper but in reality is crap.

meesha

Visit site
Love my mercedes glc220d, can tow 2.5 tonne. I tow 700kg horse in an ifor williams 505 trailer. It's automatic, never let me down, tows up steep quantocks hills. Has reverse camera and heated leather seats. Hasn't cost me much to maintain but not cheap to buy. I went with the sport rather than AMG as better for rough ground in my view. I roll the field with it and it copes well in and out of the deep gripes lol.

I get over 40 mpg but oh can get 50 mpg out of it lol.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Love my mercedes glc220d, can tow 2.5 tonne. I tow 700kg horse in an ifor williams 505 trailer. It's automatic, never let me down, tows up steep quantocks hills. Has reverse camera and heated leather seats. Hasn't cost me much to maintain but not cheap to buy. I went with the sport rather than AMG as better for rough ground in my view. I roll the field with it and it copes well in and out of the deep gripes lol.

I get over 40 mpg but oh can get 50 mpg out of it lol.
Funny how the OHs can do that eh?

Mine says the same lol

Loubidy

Visit site

I haven't towed with anything else so no comparison but it's easy to drive, approx 46mpg combined. Touch wood never had any issues and it's sailed through MOT.

This pops in and out of my shortlist! I really need to test drive one to see if I like it but there hasn’t been any 2L for sale near me recently to go and see.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
One year out but the newer G series get a good write up too, I have a 2015 Mercedes ML350. Tows 3.5t which was my main aim after far too many years agonising over payload’s! Drives beautifully with and without the trailer on it.

dixie

Visit site
I currently tow with a Ssangyong Musso 2018 automatic. I also drive around 300 miles a week in it. Lovely and easy to drive. Does about 30mpg. Lots of nice features on it.

previous car was a Ssangyong Rexton- same as above. I got the Musso this time as it was a cheaper way to get a decent towing vehicle and I wanted a newer vehicle.

I’ve also had 3 Nissan Terranos but unfortunately they don’t make them anymore.
And also had a Jeep Cherokee which I loved. However the Ssangyong is much more refined to drive.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I've not towed with anything else but my Kia Sorento (it's 2008 though). 3.5T capacity, tows effortlessly. It's my partner's everyday car but I couldn't say about how thirsty it is.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The Skoda Octavia Scout 4x4 (2t tow limit) will do that job superbly, it is a very capable and stable tow car with plenty of grunt. Had ours 7 years now. Very reliable.

Plus when non towing it is a great all round car even with two 6' plus rear passengers. I've driven it non stop for 200 miles at motorway speeds on a very hot day with air con on getting 55mpg+, and I wasn't tired at all.

Sealine

Visit site
I tow with a 2018 ssangyong rexton 2.2 diesel auto ELX. It’s a big, heavy car that tows 3.5tonnes. It was an ex demo car and only 6 months old when I bought it. It has a 7 year warranty. Great for towing and has the usual extras including full leather and reversing camera. It’s got 7 seats and a huge boot. It’s been reliable and I can’t comment on fuel costs as I have nothing to compare it to and luckily I don’t do many miles. You get alot for your money compared to other manufacturers.

Nudibranch

Visit site
Isuzu DMax, and when it dies it'll be replaced with a Ford Ranger. I've only ever towed with pickups or a Suzuki Vitara, and I dont even know if they make those any more. Pickup all the way (they're so useful). Just the fuel costs these days 🥴

TPO

Visit site
This pops in and out of my shortlist! I really need to test drive one to see if I like it but there hasn’t been any 2L for sale near me recently to go and see.

I don't think I'm a million miles from you, so I could sort something out if that helped at all.

Coblette

Visit site
I now tow with a Q5 as only need to tow one horse c.500kg. I wanted something fairly economical & comfy. Swapped from the Disco 4 which I did love but it was juicy and didn’t meet ULEZ. I had this debate for ages and I’ve been very pleased with the Q5!

TPO

Visit site
I don't think I'm a million miles from you, so I could sort something out if that helped at all.

Also I towed a 511 (1350kg iirc) and a Cheval Liberte touring with tackroom (850kg). I only ever had one horse at a time approx 500-550kg.

I'm not experienced at towing so don't have any comparisons. The ifor was fine initially but I felt like I could really feel it on one long trip but I don't know if that was normal. I changed to the CL and it was easy as to tow, didn't feel a thing.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Also I towed a 511 (1350kg iirc) and a Cheval Liberte touring with tackroom (850kg). I only ever had one horse at a time approx 500-550kg.

I'm not experienced at towing so don't have any comparisons. The ifor was fine initially but I felt like I could really feel it on one long trip but I don't know if that was normal. I changed to the CL and it was easy as to tow, didn't feel a thing.
We've just bought a Cheval Liberte, haven't towed it yet but am looking forward to it as I've not read one bad review about these trailers!

Reactions: TPO

Lamehorses

Visit site
Another vote for ssangyong, previously had a Roxton, now have a musso. Loved both but musso wins because of the cab on the back for muddy dogs & generally using for not making car interior dirty.

musk

Visit site
I had a Kia Sorento but it has just spectacularly died just a couple of months outside of the 7 year warranty (as in beyond repair and got scrap money for it- common problem with them apparently).
It towed fine other than being useless on grass whenever we went to ODE or xc we would nearly get stuck but we were towing 2 x ponies or pony and horse. I am looking for something else just now so this thread will be really useful. Everything seems so expensive even really old cars with high mileage are out of my price range!

lannerch

Visit site

Me too , I have the same car , get the same mpg , with all the bells and whistles in it ( most useful for towing is the rear camera means you can effortlessly hitch up ) .

I have towed with other cars most recent Toyota Colorado, the sportage tows as well ( obviously within its weight limits as the Toyota could tow up to 3.5t )

Reactions: TPO

vannersrus

Visit site
I’m not sure some of the cars above would be ULEZ / euro 6 compliant. In my experience the gas guzzlers tow the best 😬
However for one horse and a light weight trailer with no requirement for 4x4, there are some options.
I recently got a 2019 VW Passat estate- tows nicely up to 2000 kg- ULEZ compliant and does 50/60 to gallon.
Worth a look!
Huge boot for tack and dogs as well.

Widgeon

Visit site
The Skoda Octavia Scout 4x4 (2t tow limit)

@Tiddlypom - if you don't mind my questions - what is the ground clearance like on this please? One of the reasons I like my Volvo is because it's a good cross-over car - not too big or too high, but enough ground clearance not to get stuck on rutted verges with the trailer. Is the Scout pretty good? Obviously I can look up figures but the stated numbers never seem to correspond to the reality!

Love

Visit site
63 plate VW Amarok. Don't see too many of them around but it has never been an ounce of bother. Tows like nothing is on the back even with 2 big horses in our Ifor 510 going up the stupidly steep hill to our yard. We have the 2L version so not too bad on fuel either (Think they only make them in 3L now so the 2L versions are quite sought after). 3.5t towing capacity.

ApolloStorm

Visit site
The Skoda Octavia Scout 4x4 (2t tow limit) will do that job superbly, it is a very capable and stable tow car with plenty of grunt. Had ours 7 years now. Very reliable.

Plus when non towing it is a great all round car even with two 6' plus rear passengers. I've driven it non stop for 200 miles at motorway speeds on a very hot day with air con on getting 55mpg+, and I wasn't tired at all.

Second this!
I don’t have the scout model just the 4x4 version that can tow 2T and if it’s just one horse you’re going with then it’s ideal.
Still get 30mpg towing one 600kg horse in a Bateson Deauville, tried ONCE with a small 13hh pony in too for a short trip and that just tipped it over into not happy - wouldn’t recommend if you wanted to take two.

Most of the time don’t really notice I’m towing and it’s still got the 4x4 capability so haven’t gotten stuck yet!! Fab every day car and for doing the commute - In the first week of owning it I drove a 400 mile round trip to north Wales and hardly noticed I had been driving when I got back. Only just started to have some mechanical issues with the exhaust at 140k miles, apart from that nothing except maintenance- brakes/tyres/fluids etc.

When (if!) this one conks out I would likely buy another!