What Are Your Absolute NO Points Re Horses?

tabithakat64

Visit site
These days I need something that is good to handle and safe to ride, so I have a whole list of things that I didn't have on my list previously or current two have the t-shirt for doing which I wouldn't want again.

Must be responsive but no broncing, bucking, napping, extreme spooking or planting & definitely no bolting or rearing either. Must be good in all traffic, with other animals, kids and dogs.

Must be good to shoe, load, travel, catch, clip, lead, tack up, groom and stand still to mount. Must not be a fence trasher, fence walker or a bully. Also no box walking, cribbing, weaving, wind sucking or food aggression. No biting, kicking allowed either.

No known health problems such as sweet itch, laminitis or previous tendon/soft tissue injuries.

I pretty much want the perfect horse TBH although the only thing that I would never deal with is something that bolts.

Last edited:

Pigeon

Visit site
Very little manners-wise, if I liked the horse, tbh :p Most things can be worked on, in regard to kicking, biting etc. Rearing, bucking, spooking and napping are annoying but wouldn't be a deal breaker, if they could be explained by outside factors.

Bolting would be a no-go. I would say these days I wouldn't get anything whose behaviour could be linked to a physical problem. So things like going disunited in canter, launching into transitions, headshaking etc

Molly'sMama

Visit site
I've become fairly picky over the years.
Nothing that bolts, or rears.
Nothing that refuses fences regularly; I don't jump frequently but like to pop the odd log out hunting so need a straightforward pop.
Nothing unsure out traffic. I like a confident hacker but don't care what they're like alone as don't hack out alone.
I get around this by buying older horses hahaha! nothing under 7 :p Done my time with youngsters now i like something with mileage.

edit: like an easy loader and something that can stand still when needed too! ie mounting/out hunting

rowan666

Visit site
i dont do kickers, bolters, rearers, fence trashers or unsociable/over aggressive, overly spooky, rolling whilst riding (pretty much expect and luckily do have very well behaved horses although i quite enjoy the odd buck to keep me on my toes!)
and i wouldnt buy another horse with any health issues or vices atall ever again!

kez81

Visit site
Temperament is the number one thing I look for, if a horse isn't a "nice person" to handle on the ground then I am not interested at all. Horses cost too much time and money to waste on one you can't fling your arms around and give a good smooch! Also its a matter of safety when you have kids to have a horse you know is not going to bite or kick.
Other than that I will happily take on most behavioural issues if the underlying temperament is good and pretty much any health issue as long as I am physically up to it.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Worrying though how many say no greys, having just bought one, I've known lots of greys and none have had sarcoids.

I had a grey, he didn't have sarcoids, he developed melanomas that meant I had to have him PTS at 11. And the worst cases of seperation anxiety I have seen have been between mares and geldings-I already have geldings so it makes sense to me to not buy in a mare.

eta absolute no-no is lack of brains and self preservation.

Last edited:

marmalade76

Visit site
eta absolute no-no is lack of brains and self preservation.

This!

Plus no proper rearers or those that buck with the intention of removing you. Must be good to do all ways, catch, clip, load and travel (I often have to do things and go places alone so I need something I can load, etc, without help). I couldn't put up with anything that needed doping for clipping or shoeing. Must hack alone and be happy to stay in the field alone when the others are taken out. Traffic not so worried about 'cause I can avoid roads if I have to. I also like a horse who is a 'nice person' with a bit of something about it.

I wouldn't mind a weaver but my husband wouldn't allow me to have a cribber (he has to repair the fencing), no ongoing health issues, sweet itch or head shakers, nothing too ploddy/lazy, heavy or hairy, no greys and definitely no coloureds!

Last edited:

Spit That Out

Visit site
No bucking, rearing, biting, kicking, nothing too fine or looks like it could melt in the rain!
Must be good with farrier and vet but not bothered about loading or clipping issues
No walking off when being mounted, being grumpy in the stable or when being handled.
Nothing high maintenance and can be left for a few days without being worked and doesn't explode next time you try to get on, lunge etc etc
No mares or if buying a new horse anything over the age of 16
Not overly fussed about colour but ideally not a coloured
No known health issues or vices
Nothing that's scared of its own shadow and life!

EstherYoung

Visit site
I wanted a solid colour with no white on its legs and no pink skin on its face. I'd had enough hassle with sunburnt pink skin with Spud. Good job I don't listen to myself:

10606391_10202620126165132_1032403660107995774_n.jpg

WindyStacks

Visit site
I believe a lot of issues can be aided, or at least managed - but on a handling level I can't do with a biter. Teeth scare the bejesus out of me.

I would never knowingly take on anything with any arthritic changes - no matter how "small".

"Leapers". Buckers, broncers, rearers, nappers - happy to a degree - growl & yell & get a shift on. But last year I saw this thing LEAP through the air, he would be trotting/cantering along and then just launch himself as though seeing an imaginary Bechers Brook - not for me!

Annagain

Visit site
I believe a lot of issues can be aided, or at least managed - but on a handling level I can't do with a biter. Teeth scare the bejesus out of me.

I would never knowingly take on anything with any arthritic changes - no matter how "small".

"Leapers". Buckers, broncers, rearers, nappers - happy to a degree - growl & yell & get a shift on. But last year I saw this thing LEAP through the air, he would be trotting/cantering along and then just launch himself as though seeing an imaginary Bechers Brook - not for me!

My friend's mare started doing this on the Badminton fun ride - but would then leg it on landing. Her head just went completely. After an hour and a half my friend was so exhausted I thought she was going to pass out. I had to put her on my horse and leads hers - there was no way I was getting on her! She walked by my side like a puppy so after 10 minutes my friend got back on her and she started again so we swapped back and I led her all the remaining way home. It was scary just watching it, let alone riding!

Hawks27

Visit site
Won't touch a bolter am always scared they will hurt themselves more than am scared for myself but I just can't stand it, but am perfectly tolerant of a little bucking / rearing / general paddywhacking as long as they pull up and freak out on the spot and not run away with me.
I will consider many minor health issues I like giving my ned the extra attention and making sure he is comfortable, but I wouldn't knowingly buy a horse with sarcoids or history of, or anything with a heart condition. most conformational flaws an injury recoveries yes as my horses are only lightly ridden and am content to be left with a field ornament as long as its comfortable and happy.

gina2201

Visit site
- A horse who will not hack alone. The majority of my hacks are just me so I need a horse who will happily hack out on their own.
- A crib biter. I don't particularly want a horse with (any) vice but I know my yard owner wouldn't allow it either!
- A known bucker/bolter/biter

Thats a few from the top of my head that I definitely had when looking for my most recent horse. Obviously there will be others things too like health conditions/bad conformation etc

dibbin

Visit site
I can't stand bad manners. Whether it's barging, refusing to stand, kicking the door, snatching haynets ... I just hate it. And most of these things are completely preventable/fixable with the right handling.

Tobiano

Visit site
For me there is a difference in what I would not accept when buying a horse, and what Woudl make me have to part with it if it developed / I discovered it later.

For buying, I would not look at anything with known health issues, except, weirdly, melanomas. I have a friend who has managed many of these and so I would be ok about management, and even if it shortens life expectancy, as long as there is good quality of life before then I would not be too concerned.

Behaviourally I would look for pretty much prefect when ridden, but happy to deal with many issues on the ground.

I Would have to ( and have) let go (after veterinary investigations) a horse who I discovered to be a rearer, severe napper, too prone to shying or to good at bucking.

I would keep / have kept horses who showed separation anxiety, banged the stable door, needed a patient farrier, got sarcoids, melanomas, laminitis and arthritis.

A for me the deal breaker is how likely it is to kill me, given that I am not a terribly skilled or confident rider and not in the first flush of youth!

StormyMoments

Visit site
Kickers, both to myself and other horses, ridden or otherwise. Laminitics. Any artritic changes, melanomas, ulcers, crib biting and door kicking. Not hacking out alone, not hacking out in company, horses that spin around (especially if they drop their shoulder), horses that don't stand still (especially when ridden and on the road), horses with separation anxiety, needed sedating for anything general (shoeing, clipping, loading etc), bad loaders and travellers, horses that you cannot do in the stable, horses that are overly ticklish and bolters.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
No TB's, nothing over 15.2h, no obese horses (it's MUCH easier to put weight on than take it off). Other than that I can deal with most things as long as it's sound.

TeamChaser

Visit site
Interested to read so many no's to rearers. Mine was a chronic rearer. Over faced a bit as a youngster I think (before I had him) so became extremely nappy and eventually this descended to just refusing to leave yard at all. He would rear and rear and rear - vertical. Took a full 2 months to even get him out of yard in a forward direction poor thing!

Took time and patience but he is a bloody awesome horse now. Hasn't reared, at all, for 3 years now and will hack alone, go in front, goes hunting/show jumping on his own and is the most amazing ride team chasing. Certainly wouldn't discount one for that. He was always a lovely person though, just a bit screwed up. I paid next to nothing for him and lovely eventing breeding, really super horse.That's the only thing for me I think behaviour wise - must be a nice person!

Last edited:

only_me

Visit site
No mares if I can help it lol.
Really only sweet itch and history of laminitis or sarcoids is a big no no. I dont mind buckers/rears as long as they are only done in excitement.

Horses must be happy in nature and a good forward outlook, no nappers as have had those before and they never truly loose the habit. Oh and no nasty stoppers - stopping from greeness is fine but not nasty ones.

Otherwise am flexible enough, but it is vital that i can feel the "click" when I ride horse :)

NinjaPony

Visit site
No rearers
No bolters
Nothing with a rodeo bronc on board
No nasty biters/kickers
Nothing scared of its own shadow
Nothing with really rubbish conformation/soundness problems

tina60

Visit site
Finding this thread really interesting! Just out of interest what are the reasons for so many of you not wanting coloureds ?

armchair_rider

Visit site
I know one that won't be tied up. Nice horse but I wouldn't want to own him.

Otherwise...
Nothing beyond my capabilities as a rider (no buckers, rearers, serious nappers, sharp/spooky, very energetic)
No aggressive behaviour
Must have reasonable manners
Reasonably laid back - easy to do do, ok for vet/farrier, not stressing all the time
Nice personality - I wouldn't have a horse that I didn't like as a person

Illusion100

Visit site
My list is too long.....

Poor conformation, physical issues and/or temperament would be the easiest to mention. Then again 'donkeys' can be exceptional and sound no matter how hideous they are to look at and the right approach in training can produce a fantastic horse instead of shooting it.

For me, I'd have to have a good look at the individual horse rather than a general statement.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
1. Nothing that won't live out.
2. Nothing that is already broken in.
3. Nothing that I know is going to be beyond my capabilities re 2.
4. Nothing that isn't love at first sight :)