What are your big no nos when it comes to conformation?

Apercrumbie

Visit site
I wouldn't have another that was very close in front and behind - when it's a 16hh Welsh Cob the physics just doesn't add up to natural good balance. On a smaller horse/pony it would concern me less. Otherwise I look for good pastern angles and a kind eye.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
The very first thing I look at in a horse is its eye: if I don't like what I see there then I walk away, period. What I look for is a nice generous liquid eye; if its a mean spiteful little piggy eye then I don't go any further.

The worst example of bad conformation was a little pony at a rescue that I went to see: if you imagine the body of a full-up 15.2 cob - including the head-size of a 15.2 - on little pony legs that you'd expect to see on say a 13.2, this was it. A shame, as he was a nice little chap and someone had obviously spent a great deal of time on him remedially, but he was always going to go on the forehand and probably have a lot of vet problems long-term.

Visit site
Thing is you have to look at them everyday. I have to like what I am looking at and I find certain things with horses that I don't like, which in reality is totally unfair, irrational and ridiculous.

I would not have a chestnut, no matter how correct. I hate wall eyes, coloured horses I struggle with too, especially ones with lots of white. How shallow am I !

I like a nice head. If you have to look at it every day over the stable door you are better off with something you like! I am also with you on too much white on a coloured! My Wee Coloured Job has more brown than white, he has a brown head and most of his neck, his tail and hocks are brown too thankfully! Then there are those coloureds that have a black/brown head & tail and are white in between ... EEEWWWWW!

You see some sights in racehorses. And they are bred from if they are successful. They only need to stay sound for x amount of runs and wins.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Good conformation for me means the horse hasn’t got inherent weaknesses that may come back to haunt you.
So I would avoid:
Long backs
Long pasterns
Straight or overbent hocks
Long Cannon bones

I also like my horses pretty and well put together- both my natives have show quality conformation and some results to prove it. The showing aspect doesn’t matter at all to me, but I have to think they are good looking which means the ‘overall picture’ needs to be right.
So I would avoid:
Short thick necks
Big heavy heads
Unkind eyes

Conformation is no guarantee of soundness, but given that I only have one horse in ridden work at a time and invest my time and energy into that one horse, for me it’s worth finding one that starts sound and fit for purpose, with conformation that helps, rather than hinders soundness.

windand rain

Visit site
I like my horses to have pretty heads, little ears and fit in a box whichever way you look at them inotherwords match up all round with no obvious differences. I am not too bothered about the overall frame but like short cannons and neatly sloping pasterns with a good hoof pastern angle. Hocks and knees should be large and correctly angled and tail well set on. Hooves should be equal and well made. I do think there is a tendency for long cannons and sloppy pasterns in many horses and they would likely be a definate no for me. Round spongy bone would be a big no too

TheMule

Visit site
I can forgive lots of sins if the horse is athletic and pleasant to ride. My little event mare has dreadful looks and a fair few faults, but it was all forgiven when she jumped and she has actually made me a nice foal through a very careful stallion match.
I dont mind an ugly head, a short neck, a long back, slight pigeon toes as functionally that stuff doesn't really make a difference. I don't like upright hindlegs, upright shoulders, bad feet, wonky forelimbs etc as they do affect soundness and performance.
This is my mare (Aged 6, Novice eventing fit)-
IMG_0833.JPG

Because when they try this hard, it doesn't really matter!
IMG_3796.JPG

Goldenstar

Visit site
I agree, while I have bought horses for MrGS that where sort of my ideal my horses have to bring me joy .
Harvey has been here a year and I still get a little jolt of excitement every time I see him .
It’s as much work to keep one hat flips your heart as one that doesn’t .

Asha

Visit site
I like a nice head. If you have to look at it every day over the stable door you are better off with something you like! I am also with you on too much white on a coloured! My Wee Coloured Job has more brown than white, he has a brown head and most of his neck, his tail and hocks are brown too thankfully! Then there are those coloureds that have a black/brown head & tail and are white in between ... EEEWWWWW!

I wouldn’t buy anything with ‘piggy’ eyes or a big head, nor a sway back or any major limb faults.

Agree with all this ^^^

I have to be able to look in the field and enjoy the view.

buddylove

Visit site
Nothing with rubbish feet, long pasterns, straight hocks, sway backs, ewe necks or ugly heads.
My mare was a bit toe in when she arrived and dished accordingly, this has improved with good work and shoeing. I also dont mind a slightly upright shoulder, or a neck slightly on the short side.