What are your horses quirks?

niko

Visit site
My mares have taken to galloping flat out round the field to get our attention when cleaning their stables in anticiaption of coming in and getting spoilt rotten, then they charge into their stables & stand so sweetly (sweat dripping, nostrils flaring!) Then when my mare has her hard feed she paws the air with her hoof all happy! Just wandering what your neds get up to?

louise4208

Visit site
My boy used let himself out of his stable and wander round the barn leaning over the other horses door to steal their hay! As soon as someone walked in the barn he would head straight back to his own stable and stand nicely.
He also used to let himself out and pull the rugs of the rail at the back of the barn and lie on them! Cheeky monkey, as if his massive shavings bed was not good enough!
When I put a foot bolt on his door, he kicked the door constanly through the nightfor attention.
He prefers to live out as much as possible nowadays!!

jesterfaerie

Visit site
My lad has one front leg bent up and he waves it around when he is eating his feed.
He sometimes tires to take his boots off by un-doing the velco with his teeth whilst I put his back boots on!
He will try and eat anything made of string or string like if you have it near him, baling twine, tape measures, hay nets, you name it!
He hates anything in a cup or glass, if I bring a drink near him he backs off from it.
He shoves all of his bedding into one corner of the stable into a massive pile.
crazy.gif

louise4208

Visit site
I should have added aother quirk. I've had Merlin for 15 years now, and in all that time he never urinated in his stable! I tried all sorts of bedding and nothing made a difference.
His bed was always immaculate, and I saved money on bedding (which is always good) but I always worried that this may affect his health. It never seemed to bother him as long as he was let out for a pee first thing in the morning!! As I said he is much happier living out!

MerryMaker

Visit site
When I muck out the field, Gertie follows me round with her nose plonked right between my shoulder blades and every time I stop to pick up a poo, she grooms me very vigorously!

Monty, my little one, goes onthe horse walker every day, he's a big lardy bum... but he knows where the gate is and if he bashes it hard enough it swings open and he walks himself away! But he never goes to eat grass, he always goes and stands outside my mare's box! I have to tie it shut now.

nemlin

Visit site
My boy (a big traditional cob) LOVES having his bum scratched to the extent that if you are happening to stand anywhere near him he'll move his bum to a convienient spot and expect a scratch. He's normally very careful and has never once trodden on me, however he nearly sent Happybus flying the other night with his massive bum... Whoops!
blush.gif

The Original Kao

Visit site
my filly has a hissy fit if i don't go and speak to her when i'm at work.
she canters round the tree in her field then gallops to the fence and round again. she will keep going until i either give in and go speak to her or she gets tired.
she's only started doing this since i had a holiday and didn't see her for 2 weeks (longest i've not been there before was 2 days lol)
i've been her carer since she was 4 weeks old so i guess she missed me
laugh.gif

Ellies_mum2

Visit site
A friend of mine has a mare like nemlins cob lol. After she's been out for a hack and returned to her field she goes for a wee first (special corner in the field
crazy.gif
) then comes back and presents you with her bum. If you stop or walk away she will walk in front of you and park her bum in your way so you get the hint she ain't done with the scratching yet
grin.gif

Firewell

Visit site
My horse will never go to the toilet while being schooled! Its handy coz I never have to pick the droppings up after. She will however without fail have a wee once she is tied up in the yard afterwards. In fact she'll wee anywhere, except the school (on lorry, in front of cars with fit guys in etc)

She is without doubt the greediest TB I have known and is constantly eating or on the lookout for food, she will get herself in all sorts of trouble trying to eat things.

She can be quirky with the farrier and likes the farrier to talk to her in a sing song voice and tell her shes a good girl and then shes much better.

In fact as long as anyone treats her like a princess, talks kindly to her and tells her shes beautiful constantly shes a total angel and would give you the shirt off her back if she had one! If anyone gets cross with her for no reason, and moves about her agressivley she will literally stick 2 hoofs up at you!