What 'bad' behaviour do you tolerate from your horse?

Lolo

Visit site
Chatting to my sister about her SJ lesson today. It was a bit windy and her horse was very full of the joys of spring. He expressed this by a round of busking, squealing and general farty behaviour before pissing off down the long side. Pulled up easily though.

Did he get told off for nearly ditching his rider for no reason? No! Everyone was too busy crying with laughter at how sweet he looks when he's like that, and how close Al was to eating dirt. He got a pat and sent on his way. We're now talking about this episode, cooing over how sweet he is and how exuberant he is when he feel a bit cocky.

Overall, he's a lovely horse who only does this once in a while- normally he gets kicked on/ laughed at and he's never punished for it. He's told off for other stuff (laziness, rudeness, ignoring Al's leg) but this exuberance is almost appreciated (we know there's no underlying physical cause).

What do you just laugh off with your horses?

juliette

Visit site
I was hacking with 2 friends, we were "supposed" to be trotting but my friend's horse was cantering sideways throwing in the occassional buck! She was giggling like mad and had a HUGE smile on her face. We'd just been discussing whether he needed a day off as he'd been a bit lethargic!! She just loves it when he plays around, but on the ground etc insists on perfect behaviour!

My horse is a bit spooky so i suppose that's what i put up with.

horsey_jo

Visit site
I think it depends on the situation: sometimes it is not worth getting into a battle and I prefer to try and ride through it. Water off a ducks back and all that!
And other times I will reprimand him but that is only usually if it is in a potentially dangerous situation. For example I am quite stern with my him for not standing still out hacking like at road junctions etc. not that that happens too often.
I guess it is variable according to horse/rider/situation.

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
I've got to admit....at the moment, Kelly gets away with absolute murder - she refused to come into the field today and then threw a major tantrum when we went in to get her and we couldn't help from feeling a bit pleased that her spirit is returning - this stems from nearly losing her and this is the first naughty behaviour we've seen from her since she got ill!
The owner's other mare gets told off for nipping (which she does when she wants to go out) and tossing her head (which she rarely does anymore) but when riding, exuberance (bucking, p*ssing off across the school etc) are "tolerated" as I don't really want to make too big a deal out of it I just kind of push through and ignore it and she seems to settle quicker. However, I will say "NO" when she is screaming out to another horse as it takes her focus off me and when she does it, her body seems to shake and makes me lose balance a bit!! :eek:
K x

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I dont tolerate much from my guys, they can buck and fart about in all the time they spend in the field when i am not there, so with me I expect good behaviour for an hour or so a day ;)

Exuberance I dont mind but if it goes on too long then its not exuberance is naughtyness and gets nipped.

Might seem harsh but I value my health and naughtiness can be habit forming if allowed IMO :)

Megibo

Visit site
i laugh off her squealing whilst being ridden, going sideways, tensing and snorting, deciding herself when to canter, flybucking...i'm just used to it!

however, if i am serious about her 'working' and shes persistent with her bucking then she gets a big crack across the ar*e and is told to get on with it! Then she does as she is told :rolleyes::p

Snowysadude

Visit site
Snowys a spoilt child. Riding he gets away with nothing but thats because he very very rarely tries it on (he likes to please). On the ground.... everything short of kicking me!!

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Only "bad" behaviour I put up with is Captain scratching his head on me, he usually asks and I always say yes. Elizabeth says it is rude but I think it must be horrid to have an itchy face and not be able to scratch :p So we have an agreement, he gets to scratch on me only when she isn't around. :p:D
FDC

ginabella

Visit site
was ona hack recently friends going up a littel country lane when we decided to trot to passing place so a patient driver behind us could pass - we were last and my boy broke into a very fast canter thinking it was a race lol - soon pulled him back but it did make us giggle:D

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
My horses have beautiful manners on the ground, except the big hairy cob, who is a Yob Cob. He is a law unto himself, usually not led from field to yard but left to amble along eating his way up.

He is a darling boy, who will put himself at risk from other horses to protect people, old or young horses and he'll carry any rider safely, responsive to the slightest squeeze and tolerant of novices losing balance.

-But ask him to pass the willow tree or cow parsley without trying to stuff it in his mouth !Nope. He is so deliciously naughty, we just sigh and smile.

I could train it out of him, but I can't really see why.

TallyHo123

Visit site
I like to ride through things. I don't think many things are worth getting in a battle over. I do however repremand when the situation could be dangerous.

ridersince2002

Visit site
the only thing i ever growl at is when a horse tries to grab a quick nibble out on a hack- its just manners and because theyre not my horses (i ride a few horses for a couple of people) whenever they ride and a horse tries to grab some greenery i get 'YOUVE BEEN LETTING MY BL**DY HORSE EAT AGAIN HAVNT YOU! ' :rolleyes: I usually carry a whip when i ride the horses, but very rarely use it as my growling reflex kicks in almost instantly!

**Vanner**

Visit site
As my boy is going through his teenage tantrum age (he's 5 this time) we occassionally have battle of wills where he tries to push the boundaries so I have to be strict with him as he is far too big and strong to make anything a habit.

He too does ask for a scratch and a groom and generally gets one if he has asked nicely :)

dafthoss

Visit site
I think it depends on the situation and the way it is done. Biteing or any thing resembling kicking are never allowed in any circumstances, but cheeky little things are allowed as long as it is gentle. I'm possibly not making sense here and I'm struggling to think of any proper examples.
Sniffing coat pockets for treats is allowed and gentle nuzzles of pockets but nothing nasty and he is polite with it, wont bite the hand that feeds him :cool:, general space invasion is not allowed tho. He also walks along at the end of the lead rope ambling behind me most of the time but that is where he prefers to be and he is polite there and will lead properly if I ask but I cant be bothered most of the time.

binkymerlin

Visit site
i love it when they squeel when you are riding because they are just that excited. like sitting on a time bomb. i dont realy tolerate the tippy toe down the road waiting to shy at something that annoys me so i get it over and done with and push on. i do love exuberance in horses but silly taking the piss exuberance is a no no.

Lolo

Visit site
Only "bad" behaviour I put up with is Captain scratching his head on me, he usually asks and I always say yes. Elizabeth says it is rude but I think it must be horrid to have an itchy face and not be able to scratch :p So we have an agreement, he gets to scratch on me only when she isn't around. :p:D
FDC

Yes! My old boy used to guide you tactfully to a wall or door before pinning you there by rubbing his head so hard! He was so delightfully charming about it, and would leave total destruction behind- he had a white face which was always moulting...

M'n'M

Visit site
If Molly can manage to grab some grass while I'm leading her without stopping, then she can. But she's not allowed to stop or slow down because of it, so I don't know if that's really letting her get away with something...just making her more talented than she already is :D

If I let her get away with anything she is the sort that will kill you if you let her take advantage. But I do let her have fun with her spunk on the lunge line :D

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Yesterday, Til was very forward going and barely able to stand in the stable. When I got on, she pinged forward and ended up cantering up the grassy track to the school. We had this when she was younger. There's no point fighting her. Let her go, once she's got rid of energy then bring her back and she works beautifully. Today, she stood like an angel again.

On the ground I do insist on perfect manners. The beach is a place I'm often determined to walk, but then she goes sideways and she's so eager to go and there are few places for a good gallop so I oftenend up letting her go. :D

Lol, M N M - I'm the same - not allowed to stop or slow down, but if you can stretch your neck above you or below you and go the same pace, then fair enough. She often tries to make sure she is on the path with the extra long grass, as she often doesn't get a long rein :)

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Pretty much every time my horse is at a show and gets excited, by neighing, and threatening to properly rear and nap, he would do it you know, he's like, well hard - and I just can't stop laughing! He's just hilarious! That and, he is generally pretty chilled when actually jumping at a comp, but in his own field? Hell no. That requires trying to beggar off, bucking after every grid/line and copious amounts of farting with aforementioned bucking. Yet again, only laughter from me :eek:

One day I will discipline him, but as yet - he really hasn't crossed the line, too far at least! :D

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Oh dear, my retired mare (pictured left as a foal) gets away with anything and always has done. It's part of her character to be 'in your face' and I refuse to squash it. She is the most affectionate, touchy feely horse i have ever known, but you either love her or hate her. However, she does 'knock you about a bit' which I don't mind with her, but hate with other horses. My other horses are excellently behaved and I won't have any nonsense from my liveries either. There is a deeper understanding between my old mare and me and so she is allowed to step over the boundaries.

MaisieMooandCometToo

Visit site
Bad behaviour...I call them quirks :D Mum says I encourage Comet to have them *whistles*

He doesn't do anything dangerous though, just spooks and runs out of fences. A lot. I find these little tendencies help me to better myself as a rider though and make me feel good when we say jump a hay cart, barrels and ditches among other things (still in proud boasting mode after yesterday's fun ride!!) ;)

Maisie head shakes, it used to be a lot but now it's down to when she gets a bit bored or if you're trying to restrain her. Have tried everything to get her to stop but to no avail so she 'gets away' with that I guess.

BlueCakes

Visit site
I am a mean mummy and won't tolerate any bad behaviour.

The most I guess you could say is bad is I don't tell him off for his excited moments, ( which don't amount to much other than him not listenning on having the odd mini buck/ pull head down but not do very much) However if it lasts more than a few minutes the he will still get a telling off.

Luci07

Visit site
Young horse - nothing at all. He is far too big and clever to get away with anything so manners are insisted on all at all times. He picks up things very very quickly too and the adage "give an inch and take a mile" definately applies to Billy.

My old mare on the other hand rules the roost but she deserves it. She has definate quirks ( won't tie up, has a set time for how long she wants to be out, needs to be rugged in a certain way or she will tell you off) - but she is 22, owes me nothing, given me lots and this is how she is comfortable. I also know that her habits are set and are not likely to expand either!