What bit do you all ride your Connies or Connie x's in?

TPO

Visit site
My mum's Connie x was bitless

He was really mouthy and had all sorts of head/mental/behaviour issues around his mouth. Totally different horse bitless

ponynutz

Visit site
Snaffle and always has been.
Tried a pelham for one lesson and she went lovely in it but she doesn't need it.

HelenBack

Visit site
Mine goes best in a Myler eggbutt, with slots is best overall but can get away with a plain one for dressage. He doesn't have much space in his mouth and can have very strong opinions about what he does or mostly doesn't like. After trying a lot of different options these were what worked best for him, I presume because the mouthpiece is thin so doesn't take up much room. I think he would probably tolerate a loose ring but he does prefer the fixed nature of the eggbutt. Hanging cheeks and pelhams he hates with a passion!

He also liked a bitless bridle best but he worked out that he could just put his head down and bog off with me in that so that had to be binned for safety reasons!

I think a lot of Connies can have fairly strong opinions about bits so good luck in your search.

Sprogladite01

Visit site
When he's sound enough, mine is in a Hilary Vernon Harmony Edgeware - it's like a gag but with a smooth instead of spikey lozenge. Previously he was in a 3 ring gag but he's much nicer in this, may also be because he's in a custom made bridle too now! He had a bridle and bit fitting so he's had the full works ;)

First Frost

Visit site
Older Connie wears an informed designs (Hilary Vernon) harmony loose ring snaffle (12mm mouth piece). For jumping and fast work he wears am NS jumper bit.
Younger connie just wears an NS trans angled lozenge for everything.
Connie X Tb wears NS turtle top full cheek snaffle for everything.

Never had any particular problem bitting my numerous Connie's, would just say that generally they don't have too much room in their mouths so they appreciate it if their bit isn't too thick.

whizzer

Visit site
On the advice of an instructor a few years ago I changed to a fat,double jointed eggbut snaffle,connie cross goes well in it so I've used it ever since. It was a cheapo ebay buy,a few years ago I treated her to a more expensive version of it, looked similar to me but she hated it & so I put her straight back into the original one!
For some reason I decided to ride in a loose ring,double jointed,sweet iron bit a few months ago,came off my lunging bridle where apparently it's fine, mare behaved like I was trying to ride her with a barbed wire bit so straight back into the other one again!

Michen

Visit site
Schooling wise whatever bit is near or on the bridle ? that may be a nathe, verbindend, cheap lozenge loose ring or a fulmer with a roller.

He goes the same regardless.

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
For schooling he is ridden in a Horsemanship saddlery HP Relief loose ring. Nice narrow bit for his small mouth. On hacks he is ridden in a sprenger duo pelham... Also a nice narrow bit.

Stenners

Visit site
Older Connie wears an informed designs (Hilary Vernon) harmony loose ring snaffle (12mm mouth piece). For jumping and fast work he wears am NS jumper bit.
Younger connie just wears an NS trans angled lozenge for everything.
Connie X Tb wears NS turtle top full cheek snaffle for everything.

Never had any particular problem bitting my numerous Connie's, would just say that generally they don't have too much room in their mouths so they appreciate it if their bit isn't too thick.
I'm currently trying the NS Turtle Top but it does look a chunky bit!

tatty_v

Visit site
Our connie x ID has a bomber ported eggbut. He is really fussy in the mouth and gets his tongue over most things, so this relieves tongue pressure and allows him to move his tongue around without ending up with a bit jammed under it. We combine it with a micklem. I don’t think he’s normal though - my other Connie X is perfectly happy with a nice plain snaffle with a lozenge!