What bit does this horse have?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Yes it's a wilkie snaffle. It acts like a mild gag as it has leverage that exerts poll pressure. The horse looks rather tense and overbent in it though.

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
Sorry to go against the grain here but it's not a wilkie it's a beval (a lot of people get them confused). Quite similar bits with similar actions, the difference being true wilkies have the top metak loop (where the cheek piece attaches) above the main ring, in beval it is below, as shown on this horse. Wilkie acts a bit more like a hanging cheek because of this.

Edited to ad; just watched the video, nice enough horse, looks like he naturally would like to go with his head in the air and hollow, rider is using this bit to try and pin him down infront so making horse look tense and loose impulsion from behind. I would much rather they try to work the horse longer and lower and get him to stretch so he can come through from behind. You can see when the horse jumps that he naturally like to raise his head. I'm sure he could make a nice jumper, he would need a bit of work if you wanted to school him for dressage to teach him to be softer in his mouth and seek the contact more. Won't comment on rider hacking down busy road in no high vis on a dark horse wearing black as I have already been too critical!

Last edited:

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
Forgive me I am very anal about bits lol!

A lot of people just call bevals wilkie's these days, which they're not. I think it's because wilkie's have become quite fashionable so now people just stick the name on any bit that looks like one (who knows!) Anyway found this link to an actual wilkie which has some info on it, hope this helps:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...21483C102F2CB73E9E99FEB8&first=31&FORM=IDFRIR

As you can see, Wilkies were invented mainly for showing ponies. I'm pretty sure bevals were originally a driving bit/ cheekpiece which has now become more popular for riding as well. Here is a link to a beval bit with a bit of info on that too:

http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/P/..._wilkie_bit_loop_ring_neue_schula-(1020).aspx

Edited to add, yes that's one orsolya80 :)