What bit for cross country

Hullabaloo

Visit site
I don't often post in here as I'm not really a proper competition rider - just riding club and unaffiliated stuff - but I thought this would be the best place to get ideas on what bit might suit my horse xc.

He tends to be silly and spooky rather than strong and hacks, show jumps etc in a loose ring french link. However, he needs a little bit more xc so I can bring him back to me before the fence without a fight. I've been riding him in on the middle ring of a dutch gag, but I know its not right and I'd like to find something we're both happier with.
He has a high head carriage and pulls rather than leans if that makes sense. Anything too strong just backs him off and he makes a horrible shape (think Apache Sauce at Badminton this year).

My instructor suggested an American gag, but having had a look, I don't think that would suit him. Does anyone have any other ideas of what I could try please?

KatB

Visit site
Try a pelham, a straight mouth soft rubber one will mean he has nothing to pull against in the mouthpiece, but will have the pelham cheeks to help lower his head
smile.gif

Hullabaloo

Visit site
Thanks. I did try a rubber pelham for hunting but he didn't jump at all well in it. I also tried it out hacking when he was getting silly but found it too much. Shame really, as I've already got one - he's much rather I had to buy him something new!