What bit for keeping head up?

sjdress

Visit site
I am just bringing my horse back into work after having the winter off and when fresh she can ‘launch’ as in sticks her head down and pulls forward, usually with a buck thrown in! So I am looking for a bit with some leverage to get her head up. She is soft in the mouth and quite often sits behind the bit. She is however strong in the neck and snatches down with some force!
Once she is back in full work I know she will stop this, I just need something for now! Any suggestions?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
That's a riding/training issue, not a mechanical/bitting one. FYI in theory a leverage bit such as a curb will send the horse's head lower, a gag-type bit will send it up. What will stop your horse plunging and bucking is riding forwards and possibly a one-rein upwards yerk. Good luck with that.

sjdress

Visit site
It's not a training issue! She's usually ridden in a snaffle and is extremely well behaved. She has however been out of work for a long time and this is what she does when she is extremely fresh! I suspect this will only last until she is back cantering and then she should be back to her sweet self!
She is not able to lunge or do school work so we are straight out hacking so I want something to use for now to make things a little safer.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i used to use a dutch gag with 2 reins and rode on the snaffle rein most of the time but had the leverage of the bottom rein in times of emergency which in my case was when i was thundering flat out towards the road, this just gave her enough of a shock to get her head up and back in control again....

Equi

Visit site
Im weary of how you will respond to me suggesting its maybe her back/saddle, as thats not a normal behaviour with a buck included. Coretez answered your question but honestly i dont think a bit will fix this.

sjdress

Visit site
She's had a full body scan when finding out what was wrong with her. No back problems and saddles are both fine! I've had this horse 10 years and no this is not usual behaviour, but it is when she has been out of work! Yes it's rude but that's what she does, she coils up and launches! But I repeat this is not usual behaviour but it is when she is full of it! She is usually ridden in a snaffle with no martingale and is schooled to Elem/Med level.

Auslander

Visit site
Im weary of how you will respond to me suggesting its maybe her back/saddle, as thats not a normal behaviour with a buck included. Coretez answered your question but honestly i dont think a bit will fix this.

It's pretty normal behaviour for a sharp blood horse that is just short of work and very fresh. Bucking/launching isn't always due to a problem - some horses just like to have a buck and leap.

Equi

Visit site
It's pretty normal behaviour for a sharp blood horse that is just short of work and very fresh. Bucking/launching isn't always due to a problem - some horses just like to have a buck and leap.

Maybe so, but when its abnormal to that horse then you need to look further. Even if they have had checks.

meesha

Visit site
I used a Cheltenham gag for mine that overbent (with 2 reins), he is now back in a snaffle as no longer overbends. He was never strong, other option is loads of leg I was told!!

Mule

Visit site
I'm not knowledgeable about bits, but would a bit of lunging before you get up do the trick?

Last edited:

sjdress

Visit site
I'm not knowledgeable about bits, but would a bit of lunging before you get up do the trick?

Unfortunately vets have advised against lunging so we just have to go straight out hacking at the moment! Hence why I just want a little extra help whilst she is going through this exhuberant stage!

Fiona

Visit site
I suggest a Cheltenham gag, I had great success with this bit as a teenager riding my new very opinionated Welsh cob, and as he began to respect me we moved down the levels to a Pelham and eventually a snaffle..

And I know my current trainer recommends for horses who pull down.

Good luck

Fiona

paddi22

Visit site
a bit isn't going to stop a horse bucking though. Any of our who have been out of work we loose school to let them get it out before we get on. If they have a buck in them they need to get out, then its better off letting them do it before you get on. All the bits in the world won't stop them!

Theocat

Visit site
I'd have a chat with the vet. Getting the jinks out on the lunge is preferable to sitting on them. If the vet understands the issues they might weigh it up differently!

Does the behaviour start in walk, or only when you step it up a gear? If the latter, I'd do a looooog walk before I asked for anything more. You will want lots of walking anyway depending how long she has been off.

sjdress

Visit site
a bit isn't going to stop a horse bucking though. Any of our who have been out of work we loose school to let them get it out before we get on. If they have a buck in them they need to get out, then its better off letting them do it before you get on. All the bits in the world won't stop them!

Totally agree, I know a bit won't stop a horse bucking! But it will stop her yanking her head down which means I can then get the head up and push her on hopefully before the bucks start!

sjdress

Visit site
I'd have a chat with the vet. Getting the jinks out on the lunge is preferable to sitting on them. If the vet understands the issues they might weigh it up differently!

Does the behaviour start in walk, or only when you step it up a gear? If the latter, I'd do a looooog walk before I asked for anything more. You will want lots of walking anyway depending how long she has been off.

At the moment we are just walking out for 20 mins and she has been as good as gold to be fair! Although she has done a few head yanks when she has got a bit sharp and so I suspect this behaviour will start once we extend our hacking to the ridgeway as she has done a lot of fast work up there so finds it quite exciting! Staying in trot will be the issue and that's when she will probably do her naughtiness

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I like a NS Universal with 2 reins for your problem. I have found that the curb rein coming into play works well to remind the horse of its manners. Can you do more roadwork to try to keep her sane for a while longer?

SpringArising

Visit site
The priority is this:

1: Safety of rider
2: Horse’s training

And you can simultaneously train a horse while having control of it with an appropriate bit.

A lot of bits will help this issue and sometimes all the training in the world won’t curb a hot horse.

I have a Welsh Cob who is an absolute powerhouse and he is just far far too strong for me in a snaffle, even in the school. I never “bit up” unless I’ve legitimately had enough - he’s the first of seven horses I’ve ridden in anything other than a French link snaffle (now in Dutch gag as leans on the forehand and then goes).

I’d rather have in what’s perceived as a more severe bit and have to use it minimally than a snaffle which is in constant use and eventually going to cause a hard mouth.

only_me

Visit site
Maybe so, but when its abnormal to that horse then you need to look further. Even if they have had checks.

It’s perfectly normal for a horse to have a buck and skip about when they’re back into work & feeling well. Billy never bucks under saddle when he’s in work or hacking but occasionally can throw a buck when he’s starting the canter bit of fittening, nothing malicious but purely as he’s feeling well!
I suspect in OPs case horse is just fresh and needs a lever to help at this stage. Once into more work will settle & go back to normal imo!