What bit should I use?

Lizzieh

New User
Visit site
Hi I have recently bought a new horse and his previous owner suggested we used a stronger bit than the snaffle he is in now for jumping and hacking.
When cantering he brings his head up so want a bit which encourages him to bring his head now so I can control him better.
I was thinking a Dutch gag but am not sure. Any ideas? Thanks a lot

SpringArising

Visit site
A Dutch gag is the opposite of what you want if the horse has a high head carriage. I'd suggest trying a different mouth piece before swapping to something more harsh. What does he have at the moment?

Lizzieh

New User
Visit site
That's what I thought. A friend suggested a Dutch gag and said it would help but i wasn't sure. He is in a full cheek snaffle for flatwork. Thanks

SpringArising

Visit site
That's what I thought. A friend suggested a Dutch gag and said it would help but i wasn't sure. He is in a full cheek snaffle for flatwork. Thanks

What mouthpiece is it though? French-link, single joint, Mullen mouth etc. You might find that he just doesn't like the action and doesn't actually need something stronger. Alternatively a standing martingale would do the trick but make sure you don't use it in conjunction with a single joint.

spacefaer

Visit site
SpringArising - I'm intrigued as to why you suggest that a standing martingale shouldn't be used with a single jointed bit. Can you explain why? It's something I've never heard before.

SpringArising

Visit site
SpringArising - I'm intrigued as to why you suggest that a standing martingale shouldn't be used with a single jointed bit. Can you explain why? It's something I've never heard before.

I wouldn't use a running martingale with one either. If you think of what a single joint does to the palate of the mouth and the result of the action it causes, and then think about the purpose of a martingale, it just doesn't make sense to use both at the same time and contradicts the purpose of using a martingale.

Naturalhorse

Visit site
Hi, if you are using a single jointed snaffle when jumping it could be causing a "nutcracker" effect, this could be causing the horse to misbehave or become fractious. This might also cause him to raise his head. Happened with a horse I rode.

emmad96

Visit site
My very strong (several instructors have said she's got a mouth of steel), but very sensitive mare goes better in a loose ring myler comfort snaffle than a kimble wick, dutch gag or even a normal loose ring. Sometimes its not the worlds greatest idea to shove bigger bit in their mouth, I know from personal experience that sometimes it backfires majorly.

Merlod

Visit site
I would try some simpler things before changing the bit up, try adding a sheepskin noseband to encourage lowering of the head, or a running martingale - I know they are a bit of a fashion item currently and every horse seems to wear one but I just use one when for I jump my horse only, it does make a difference! As others have said if your bit is single jointed try a lozenge or a mullen – something that isn’t going to hit in the pallet.