what bit to try?

pegasus1986

Visit site
My 17.1 idxwb is quite strong hunting he trys to put his head to the floor and tank off ive been hunting in a pelham and its just not enough he stands good as gold when he needs to its just when we all move off he wants to go and overtake everyone including the field master, i dont want to end up going up someone elses horses arse any ideas what bit to try to give me a bit of brakes. Thank you

PorkChop

Visit site
Tbh it is going to be a bit of trial and error - I like a Tom Thumb for hunting, and you can add a curb strap for a bit more if needed. Another I would try would be a Kimblewick with slots or a waterford is an option, bit banks are great. What sort of mouthpiece is the pelham?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Try a jointed one that was perfect for one of mine , are you riding with two reins ?
I also might try a Waterford Cheltenham gag with two reins .
Controller ( lever ) nose bands are good if he's really strong .

Addicted to Hunting

Visit site
I would try something with an elevator action then, I don't tend to find that Pelhams help get their heads up, have a play around with different mouthpieces, if he grabs hold of it a Waterford is normally effective, can also go down the gags route with two reins as suggested and also the sweet iron Tom Thumb is pretty good, is a lot about trail and error, and also how you ride them in the field, are you holding him back all the time?? Letting him go a bit?? Try not to make it so that it is always an argument.

pegasus1986

Visit site
Always ride with two reins with my pelham. I try not to argue with him but when he takes me to the front and i try to keep him back from over taking he gets in spoilt brat mode and trys to put his nose to the floor so i cant pull him up. They are so like naughty children sometimes.

JenHunt

Visit site
Ron is like this (early in the season at least) and I have found that a double bridle is the way forwards for us. A cheltenham gag he just ran through, and anything with much leverage (like dutch gag, american gag) made him go up....

it is just trial and error unfortunately - I went through half a dozen different options before getting it right. Plus, it's likely to change as their education goes on.

Tea Drinker

Visit site
If he's leaning on you, then a moving mouthpiece (roller or waterford, as examples) helps prevent them getting hold of the bit and using it against you by leaning down.