What bit would you use?

Gorgeous George

Visit site
I'm just interested in suggestions really, this is the scenario:

Large 16.3 tb shire x who is reasonably schooled, but was a hunter / jumper before I got him, and can be quite unbalanced (as can his rider
grin.gif
) Goes nicely on the flat in a myler mullen mouth hanging cheek.

However, when out hacking or jumping he needs something a bit stronger, as he can get excited and also leans on the bit. He is not really strong, but tends to stick his nose out head up. Also rider is a bit nervous and likes to know extra brakes are there if needed
grin.gif

At present he hacks, jumps in a dutch gag on the first little ring, with a revolver mouthpiece (and martingale). It gives me control and balance, but he does have a tendency to throw his head about and snatch at the bit (teeth and back checked recently
smile.gif
) So I think something different is needed.

Have tried various hanging cheeks (leans), a loose ring waterford (ok, but felt him leaning a bit), also dutch gag on the snaffle ring isn't great. So the question is what would you try?

Thanks for your help, just trying to stop myself buying more bits as my bit drawer is rather full (think I am obsessed with them
grin.gif
)

Bills

Visit site
This sounds just like my big mare... The gag did no good for her, she kept throwing her head up and coming back at me too much when i put the breaks on. So i swapped to a pelham with roundings and it worked a treat. We now have breaks without her throwing her head at me!!

bex1984

Visit site
I would try a mullen mouth pelham and see how it goes - you could try a jointed one if he's leaning. The shire in him would probably be most comfortable in a mullen mouth though and that may eliminate the snatching at the reins. Murphy is only happy in a mullen mouth pelham.

You can use roundings, and if you get on OK with it try double reins....they're not as difficult as they look
smile.gif

Silverspring

Visit site
He's going to have quite a fleshy tongue based on his breeding so I would go for a ported mouth or a jointed mouth piece. The gag effet clearly isn't something he likes so I'd stear clear of that.

Maybe try a kimblewick before a pelham, personally I don't like roundings on a pelham, if you can't handle two reins then you shouldn't be using a pelham.

The more expensive option would be a myler combination bit, they are as mild as the horse allows. Just a simple mouth piece that acts first but if teh get strong the nose, (leather) curb and poll pressure come into action. My girl hates gags but loves her combo, she doesn't head throw etc but does stop (which was almost impossible even with an American gag in previously!)

JessPickle

Visit site
Have you tried a Kimblewick, it never seems to be considered anymore. there is a horse on my yard who backs off the contact with a dutch gag, and is just a little bit too strong in his french link. A kimblewick was perfect, there also relatively inexpensive compared with other options you could try.

Baileyhoss

Visit site
I would be tempted to try a NS universal. They are a really handy bit of kit. I use one for jumping because my we lad like to run on a bit when he's all confident and decides he doesn't need mum telling him to slow down for corners.

With the universal he listens to a light check, rather than having to haul at him and it just prevents the whole, lets see who is stronger contest and makes for a nice balanced light handed boy.

It's action is on the poll, but also has a leather curb to stop the bit rotating too much. Some people use it to stop leaning as it also has a lifting effect. You only need one rein.

IMO, i wouldn't use a pelham with roundings, it kind of defeats the purpose of the bit.

lauraandjack

Visit site
Don't automatically exclude use of roundings with a pelham. Some horses seem to respond well to 'unconventional' use of bits. For example the jointed pelhams, purists will tell you they are useless as the jointed action cancels out the curb chain. But if your horse goes well in it, whats the problem?

I jump and hunt my horse in a mullen mouth pelham with roundings, and he's fine in it. 2 reins were too much for him (and too much knitting for me on a skitty horse). He goes on the flat, hacking schooling and speed work in a hanging cheek snaffle, just needs a little more persuasion when there are jumps and chums involved.