What bit would you use?

thinkitwasjune

Visit site
What bit would you use for a 7yo ex-racehorse with a very fussy small mouth but has a large tongue? He has been going in a loose ring French link but doesn't seem particularly happy in it as he constantly chomps and chews at it.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Try a lozenge mouth piece maybe, my horse is very fussy and has a small mouth and large tongue. If I put him in a French link he chomps and grabs it, and fusses around non stop. If I put a lozenge loose ring he settles although I have to put a loose flash on or he keeps fussing around, also he will only accept an angled bit- not sure which one mine is though ! If that doesn't work, maybe a loose ring nathe bit as that is really simple and nothing to fuss about with. My horse hates eggbutt snaffles as he grabs and rotates them in his mouth, so he has to have a loose ring.

thinkitwasjune

Visit site
Try a lozenge mouth piece maybe, my horse is very fussy and has a small mouth and large tongue. If I put him in a French link he chomps and grabs it, and fusses around non stop. If I put a lozenge loose ring he settles although I have to put a loose flash on or he keeps fussing around, also he will only accept an angled bit- not sure which one mine is though ! If that doesn't work, maybe a loose ring nathe bit as that is really simple and nothing to fuss about with. My horse hates eggbutt snaffles as he grabs and rotates them in his mouth, so he has to have a loose ring.

Thank you, I will see if I can borrow a lozenge loose ring to try :)

debsandpets

Visit site
I have a horse that was imported from Argentina and he has a scar the full width of his tongue which is also quite large and fleshy too, consequently he has been difficult to find a bit for that he is comfy in.
I don't have any intentions of competing him so have opted for a Bombers bit - It has a sliding cheeckpiece (as he can be very opinionated and strong, so gives a gag option if he is having one of those days),with a thin mouthpiece but it is also ported.
We have tried loose ring French links with variety of thickness mouthpiece.
This is what Bombers say about this bit, and Nico loves it. He has always played with his bit and this one also allows him to do just that as well which keeps him more settled too.

The Williams Happy Tongue
The Williams cheekpiece allows for multiple rein positions. If connected to the main ring the bit acts as a loose ring, but when connected to the bottom ring it promotes pole flexion by creating more positive poll pressure. The Williams cheekpiece helps to prevent drifting.

The Happy Tongue is a solid mouth piece. It is curved and ported to give tongue relief. The Happy Tongue would be a good place to start if your horse is:

Shaking its head
Sticking its tongue out
Sucking its tongue back and as a result making an intermittent coughing noise
Trying to put its tongue over the bit
Going behind the bit to avoid the contact
Snatching the reins forward and down
The rider will know immediately if this is the correct bit, as a horse with a sensitive tongue will finally begin to work into, and accept the contact. Changing the cheekpieces would then allow the rider to adjust the level of control.
I have tried to put a picture on here but it won't let me.

Mike007

Visit site
I would try a straight bar mullen mouth. Sits still ,kind ,and they cant get their tongue over it ( or at least Bob the nota cob/past master at tongue over bit ,cant)

Equi

Visit site
Try the lozenge, straight mouths are a little harsh, they pull harshly on the gums. no matter the material.

Mike007

Visit site
Not wishing to disagree but merely to seek opinions so can you explain further. My position is that after struggling for a long time with bob shoving histongue over the bit,I was advised to try a straight bar , it has worked for me up to a point but I would value your opinion and explanation. Thanks in advance ,Mike.

Pigeon

Visit site
I have an ex racer, also fussy in the contact, he hates anything loose-ringed or rattle, he goes best in a single jointed Eggbutt, or a rubber mullen mouth with d rings.

Tnavas

Visit site
Try the lozenge, straight mouths are a little harsh, they pull harshly on the gums. no matter the material.

A straight bar DOES NOT even touch the gums - it sits on the tongue!

It is the mildest bit ever.

Something that my equine dentist said is that the tongue on all horses totally fills the mouth cavity when the mouth is shut - therefore worrying about a large tongue is not necessary.

OP

Try him in a Fulmer Snaffle with keepers or a Baucher (hanging cheek) as it suspends the bit in the mouth so has less pressure on the tongue.

thinkitwasjune

Visit site
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I got a Cambridge snaffle to try as I've had good experience with them before but although I carefully measured his mouth (twice), it seems a bit small :( Seems silly but I hadn't thought of trying an eggbutt as I have always preferred loose rings, will give it a go!

cyberhorse

Visit site
I have a KWPN with a very large tongue and we have little space for bits, he is happiest in an NS lozenge, happy mouth mullen straight bar or a drop waterford (depending upon activity and how strong he is at the time). However I am posting mainly just to add that the biggest improvement was when his dentist provided rest seats to allow more room given the tongue issue we have to work with. Have a chat with your dentist next time they are there about the lack of space and see if the dentition could be eased also.

Pongwiffy

Visit site
I'd also try a fulmer with keepers (which provides a bit more of a loose ring than a plain eggbutt) or a hanging cheek and maybe single jointed rather than double jointed.

Mullen or straight bars are very quiet but I do think you sacrifice a bit of communication as you can't move one side of the bit independently from the other.

Hope you find a solution!