What bit?

Boxers

Visit site
My daughter's pony has a nice soft mouth and he wears a loose ring french link snaffle.

however, she is going to be taking him to Pony Club Hound Exercise and I would like to put something a little stronger in his mouth, as my daughter found on PC camp that he got a bit strong in company. And I suspect that seeing the hounds etc will make him excited.

I don't want him bitted up to the eyeballs - but something a little more than the french link snaffle?

TGM

Visit site
I agree with Vici that a hanging cheek might be a good compromise - although you might prefer a french link one, as that is the mouthpiece the pony is already used to and happy in.

Alternatively, if you think your daughter could manage two reins then you could try a pelham - she could stick to the snaffle rein if he is sensible and only bring the curb into play if he gets strong.

Boxers

Visit site
Ok so I found some pics of a hanging cheek snaffle - does the
'extra' ring attach to the cheek piece? Or does it go at the bottom with the rein on it.

Sorry to sound so thick, I've not used one of these before and some of the pics showed it with the 'extra' ring at the top and some with it at the bottom (none showed it on a bridle on a horsehead!)

MillionDollar

Visit site
Yeh, I agree a hanging cheek snaffle would be good as it will give a little poll pressure. The extra (smaller) ring is on top and attached to the cheek piece.
smile.gif

robinson

New User
Visit site
I have been using the Old Macs Pee Wee bit for 6 months and I can tell you all it is the best bit I have ever put into a horses mouth. It is so light and comfortable for the horses The snaffles pinch the bars and send conflicting signals which only confuses, especially young horses. It naturally encourages flex from the pole. I throughly recommend the Pee Wee . My horses are the ones who let me know how good it is

MrsMagoo

Visit site
hmm just looked up the Pee Wee bit...looks very interesting and maybe worth a try. My mare can become very heavy on the hand somtimes...:(
Is it easy to use/fit etc?? where did you get yours?

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ok so I found some pics of a hanging cheek snaffle - does the
'extra' ring attach to the cheek piece? Or does it go at the bottom with the rein on it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cheek piece, like this:

P5030011.jpg